Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discworld: The Movie

• 22-08-2003 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

Was discussing the prospect of a Discwold movie with some people and we came to logger heads over who could play the roles.

My list:

Vimes : Harrison Ford (Indian Jones Days)
    Havelock: Richard E. Grant (Darkly) or Christopher Eccleston(From 28 Days Later)
    Wizards: The Dean - Billy Connelly
    The Bursur - Steve Buscemi
    Ridicully - John Cleese (Full of excuberance and not understanding why
    no one else is)
    DEATH: Vincent Price (Well the voice there of)
    Rincewind: Adrien Brody
    Cohan: Sean Connery

Any ideas for others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Just a few suggestions, rip 'em apart with fun.

Captain Carrot - The Rock
    Nanny Og - Dawn French
    Nobby - Mike Meyers
    Colon - Tom Green
    Cassundra - Verne Troyer (Mini Me)
    Aguna - Angelina Jolie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I'd say Charlize Theron would make a better Angua, Angelinas colouration wouldnt suit her breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Inquisitor Vorbis- Christopher Lee.

That man just REEKS of evil style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

i think eric idle would suit rincewind, he did the voice in the game and therefore im used to it!

but if they did a film, would you have it live or animated like the game?

id have it lookin EXACTLY like discworld 2 on PC.

Sgt. Colon should be played by someone fatter!, like bryan blessed!

Vetinari - some guy that looks stone cold and harsh as ****, i dunno....ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I'd base the movie on the Guards (cos there my favourite)

Vimes: mel gibson
    Vetinari: Christian Bale (from american Phyco and equalibrium)
    DEATH: CGI charachter with the Voice of Christhoper Lee
    Sgt. Colon: Jack Black (he's been in the jackal)
    Carrott: The rock or Vin Diesel
    Aguna: Sarah Michelle Gellhar (BUFFY BUFFY BUFFY BUFFY)
    Detrius: Ving Rhames (MI and MI2 and con air)
    Nobby Nobbs: mike myers

cherry littlebottom/constable downspout/reg and the rest of he watch can be played by pretty much anybody,

Camio rolls for
    Cohan: Arnie (he's old enough now)
    Rincewind: john Cleese
    Librarian: CGI ape i guess no need for anyone famous "OOK" doesnt require you to go to acting school

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it would be rather similar in style to Monty Pythin and the holy grail. Big, dramatic moments, suddenly going down the toilet as everyone starts debating some niggling little point. Or is that the boards? Oh well... :p

The Soul Music and Wyrd sisters cartoons certainly had the right atmosphere about them though, so yeah, maybe animated film would be the way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I had meant for an actual film. But cartoon would have to be supervised by Terry himself.

Why the Rock or Vin Disel, Carrot is mean to be intelligent, gentile and caring, not just a slab of brainless brawn.

I think that a film rather then a cartoon would be the way to go, CGI has progessed far enough to allow for size differences and to create characters that can't be played by actors.

I picked the Rock to play Carrot for the look, a good director can make anyone look intelligent, gentile and caring (Though I admit that the rock would be a challange:) )

With the success of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter hollywood would seriously look at the discworld books as a rich vien so we can all hope.

AFAIK, some guys in england are shooting a low(no)-budget short called The Troll bridge,
    Its got Cohen in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Havelock i cant think of many actors in the movie busniess who are gentle and caring yet still give the impression that they are a well buffed action hero

carrott was the only one i had any REAL trouble with in picking an actor for, from the books my impression of carrott is he's a well built buffed up lad hard as nails but as you quite rightly put it a kind caring man of course i could be wrong

in hindsight i suppose you could put in orlando bloom (the ELF oh god no!!!) as carrott he was VERY good in pirates of the carribean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

C.M.O.T Dibbler - Danny deVito, or someone of similar height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The Death of Rats - Itchy

seriously though, orlando would be good as carrot

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

Orlando Bloom, much as i adore his skinny body, is too girly to be carrot.
    Maybe that guy who played Riley in Buffy or someone similar. Sort of young and fresh faced, but still kinda hard. They'd need to buff him up a bit all the same.

Angelica Houston would make a class Granny Weatherwax.

Oh and Cathy Bates as Mrs Vimes, all aristocracied up.

Oh, and Eddie from Frasier as Gaspode the Wonder Dog

Maybe an unknown, it could be someone big break. I left Carrot out of my orginal post as I couldn't think of one. Is bloom tall enought or buff enought. Plus would he look good with ginger hair?

You'd have to do the Guards books in order, but would it be the best introduction to Discworld. Wouldn't Mort or a Wizards book be a more comprehensive introduction?

Thinking about it though, Would Discworld really transfer to film, so much of the charachters are developed by internal dialogue and how do you explain the intricacies of the discworld without* footnotes.

I think a direct film version of any of the books would be reduced to poor slapstick unless masterfully done.

I'm always afraid of filmmakers ruining my favourite books by cobbling together some hackneyed piece of crap and using the good reputation of the original work to peddle it.

*And without using corny voice-overs

You could have soliques, whispers in the head, thought you are quite right that it may not transfere. I hate that about some books. Anyway. Damn.

They said that about Lord of the Rings too but it transfered pretty well, as did Harry Potter. A lot of the internal thought can be reproduced externaly.

Although a film can never perfectly achieve the complexities in a book a really good director could come pretty close.

I think that the big question now is not who would play the parts but who would direct the film.:cool:

But you would lose the foot notes!

Hmmm... maybe a cutaway to a dictonary with a voice over each time a footnote would be encountered?

The script would run like this.

Sceen 2.

[Aside to explain the odd chest of arms of the watch-house]
    [Aside to explin the aside]

Camera on Sgt. Colons

[Aside to explain why since it was Tuesday, that Sgt.Colon was uncomfortable because his wife had made him her curry with raisins and he knew he would be guarding the Bridge all night]
    [Aside to explain why he guards the bridge]
    [Aside to explain Sgt.Colon's wife's Curry]

Who is asleep at desk,

Enter Carrot

[Aside to explain Carrot was found in the mountains, with a regular well balanced sword, was brought up by dwarfs. So despite being so very tall he is still a dwarf]
    [Aside to explain what being brought up by dwarfs entails]
    [Asign to explain the commlications of dwarf dating]

Accompanyed by Nobby Nobbs

[Aside to explain what Nobby is, could be his past]
    [Aside, at this point writters walk off the film, having not enought words in the english lanuage to explain Nobby]

• Advertisement

It wouldn't work, espically with all the guilds. It could be a tv series.

Not a T.V series! We'd end up with a low budget piece of (rap.

As I said before your never going to get a film exactly true to the book. If you did every aside and every piece in any book the film would be 10 hours long!

A good director would be needed to make a film based on a book and true to the spirit of that book.

Many of the books are now in play form and it's a small step from there to a screenplay.

A lot of the asides are there for helping new readers along, so I reckon you could do without most of them. There's enough money to be made from the fans that know what's going on, without having to work fiddly explanations in for the benefit of people who never read the books.

Recalling those cartoons I mentioned earlier, I believe they did a very good job at staying true to their respective books, without a whiff of a footnote.

I don't really see why they couldn't manage something similar with real actors...

I never claimed it would be a good tv program.

They said that about Lord of the Rings too but it transfered pretty well, as did Harry Potter. A lot of the internal thought can be reproduced externaly.

With the lord of the rings most of the doubts were regarding the ability to transfer the sheer scope and scale of an entire fantasy world to the screen convincingly, computer tech and sfx advancements in the 90s made it feasible.
    With Discworld a lot of the humour is purely descriptive, or off the wall in a Douglas Adams style (look how long they've agonised over the THGTG movie).
    A discworld movie, as depicted by Havelock above, would come off as a dragged out Monty Python sketch.
    How long would it take to get thouroughly sick of
    a cutaway to a dictonary with a voice over each time a footnote would be encountered

I hate it already.

Why does it need to made into a movie anyway, I've been thinking about this, rather like Vetinaris attitude to music, I like the discworld on paper, not being interpreted by crude bipedal organisms and re-transmitted through the controlled release of trapped lightning.
    DID MOVING PICTURES TEACH YOU NOTHING??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If they wanted a discworld movie, they shouldn't adapt a book, they should ask terry pratchett very nicely if he wouldn't mind writing them a discworld story purely for the screen. That or use the last hero, that 1 would transfer fairly well.

A few of the books have already been adapted for stage plays. As I said it wouldn't take much to turn them into a screenplay for a movie.

Books coverted to plays.
    Wyrd Sisters
    Man at Arms
    Carpe Jugulum
    Mort

Moving Pictures: now theres one that should be considered.

The more I think of it, the more I prefere the books, they are far better. The voices I hear the characters speak with, their facial expressions, the voice that reads the footnotes, the smell of the city and the colour of it would be different to what a director, backdrop crew and actors would see it. I quite like my way of expierancing it all.

The whole idea was very C.M.O.T.D

True, I've never seen a film that lived up to the book it was based on. But if a film of one of Terrys books was to be made I rather it was done well.
    With the plays out there and the current success of the fantasy theme in the cinemas (HP & LOTR) it's only a matter of time before someone decided that a discworld film should be made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

twould be great if a series of cartoon films were made, one of each book... because we can argue til the cows come home about which book should be made into the film

Advertisement