Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A way to improve the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road!!!

• 22-08-2003 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I am posting this thread due to the threads going on about the booing of players at Lansdowne Road. A lot of people are talking about the lack of atmosphere at the Ireland matches and I have an idea to improve the atmosphere. Why don't we get a band to play at the matches like they did at the England matches?

I have been watching the last few English matches and they don't have a lot of atmosphere either but when it gets queit the band starts playing and livens the place up. The internet is such a big place and these boards have tens of thousands of members, why don't we all e-mail the FAI and try to get a band. It should also stop the booing as the place won't be queit enough to even hear the boo's.

What do you think?

If you feel that the atmosphere needs to be improved at Lansdowne Road with means of a band than e-mail the FAI at (make sure to mention that it should clamp down on the booing!):
    info@fai.ie

The more e-mails the better!

Do you think the FAI will consider a band if there is enough e-mails? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Oh god not a band. They make me cry. The only thing worse than hearing very little at all during a match is hearing some goons playing a load of rusty trumpets badly. Look at Sheffield Wednesday fans. Personally, if some bloke started blaring through his horn in my ear at the game I'd snatch it and insert it up his back passage.

Improving the atmosphere without knocking the decrepid pile of crap that Lansdowne is down is tricky. If the attitude of the fans is right and they get hyped up then it just happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

a **** band would be better than the silence that is so common at Landsdowne. And most people could lay their hands on a bohron (sp?) so bring them and make an atmosphere.

Then landsdowne could become famous for the rumble of the drum which would scare the crap out of the oppossition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

I think its a great idea. I go to most of the Ireland matches and I get embarrassed sitting in a crowd of whisperers. The FAI spend a lot of money on flags, T-shirts and anything green which does not increase the atmosphere. Why don't they do something useful with there money and increase the atmosphere at the matches.

BTW I am just starting to send my e-mail now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Why isnt there an atmosphere at Ireland games?
    Taken the home games vs Holland and Portugal and the recent Aussie game as examples.

I think at the 1st the atmosphere was superb but very nervous everyone in the crowd was ****ting in case of a goal going in.

We usually win our game that qualifies us to whatever away, Ireland games aint that bad unless there is nothing to play for.
    I dont know of any international ground (except maybe Wales) where there is a good atmosphere ,if you go away with ireland the irish fans are superb which is like all football teams are when away but at home its different because there is expectation which usually leads to us all saying "we were ****e ,mc ateer is a donkey etc:".

Ireland games aint that bad.

Edit btw i havent been to any of thses qualifiers but at all the others wc2002 E2000 there was a band.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Theres a band that follows the nl team about a lot, im sure people heard em at those pre season games they used to have here (newcaslte, ajax, liverpoo and some juve or sommet played in em once, used to be yearly. Maybe still are)

They were given seats near the terrace and played most of the way through the match. Altho they were dutch it livened the atmosphere as people started to sing along and generally gave it a bit of a party atmosphere. I love those guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Good idea, I've just sent my letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Can you get the band to play "Wheres The Duffer"

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Can you get the band to play "Wheres The Duffer"
    LOL, that would be very scary. Maybe the FAI should not be involved in the bands introduction after coming up with that song.

That will be included in some future collection of Irish Football songs on some cheap pre-WC cd:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

That PSV band (think its same one who are with the dutch team) played at a Pats league game before ,great fun we won the league that day so went down well ,if we had of lost and didnt win the league those drums would have been shoved somewhere nasty :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

praps someone should set up that emailing script, like that one person did for the roy keane bandwagon.. fill in a few details, click a few buttons ect, and it sends an email to info@fai.ie...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Tellox
    praps someone should set up that emailing script, like that one person did for the roy keane bandwagon.. fill in a few details, click a few buttons ect, and it sends an email to info@fai.ie...
    Good idea, but i haven't got a clue how to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i dont know about a band might work.Id like to see all the fans swinging there scarfs like in spain but that wont happen and wouldnt liven up quiet ol landsdowne. its more lively at rugby games isnt it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

They had Brush Sheils at the Georgia match and he was kinda crap...he did a weird vibrating thing with his leg which looked kinda strange. Come on though the atmosphere isn't that bad. There's usually a "come on you boys in green" or a "low lie the fields of athenry" or "oh look there's a brit let's kill him" going on....

Best home atmosphere was that Holland World Cup Qualifier match though, I didn't get to go, but watched it in Slane, great atmosphere there too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

must agree, holland home game was best atmosphere ive ever seen at landsdowne. portugal wasnt bad either.

i think playing games at night also increases the noise level for some reason, something about playing under floodlights that gives landsdwone that extra boost. anyone agree?

there's nothin better than an good footie atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

for me, people who bring brass instruments to football games should be banned (pun intended ;) ) forever but i always think that drums only always add something to the atmosphere to stadiums. It gives people who want to sing, chant etc. a rythm. So that'd work methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Albert_Malich

I was at our last two competitive matches. I was in the north stand and there were these guys with drums and there was a great atmosphere. What ruins the games are the people in upper tiers who wont cheer. They just sit there, they dont desereve tickets.

Originally posted by Albert_Malich
    I was at our last two competitive matches. I was in the north stand and there were these guys with drums and there was a great atmosphere. What ruins the games are the people in upper tiers who wont cheer. They just sit there, they dont desereve tickets.

i could not agree more. the snobs in the upper tiers are the ones that criticise the celtic fans. at last, someone understands that noisy fans MAKE the atmosphere. north bucket is the place to be if ur a REAL irish fan.

Originally posted by smemon
    i could not agree more. the snobs in the upper tiers are the ones that criticise the celtic fans. at last, someone understands that noisy fans MAKE the atmosphere. north bucket is the place to be if ur a REAL irish fan.
    Just like Glasgow is the place for real celtic fans. Perhaps bands introduced should be placed in the quiet areas - ie the upper tier. If it makes people who want to sit quietly uncomfortable then maybe they won't turn up and will be replaced by fans that do want to boo.

Noisy fans make athmosphere - but only in the sense that silence is absence of athmospher. Wanting to improve the athmosphere from the negative one created by booing a band is an excellent idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The ones on the upper Tiers are those who work in offices earning €70,000 per year and they get free tickets to all the Lansdowne matches. My sister works close to the Merrion Square offices and her building gets 100-200 tickets for all the Ireland matches. They should stop given the tickets away and give them to the real fans.

Originally posted by eireboy
    The ones on the upper Tiers are those who work in offices earning €70,000 per year and they get free tickets to all the Lansdowne matches. My sister works close to the Merrion Square offices and her building gets 100-200 tickets for all the Ireland matches. They should stop given the tickets away and give them to the real fans.
    Any chance your sister can get me some tickets? - damned if their available through the conventional channels left open by the FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

all tickets should be distributed through the clubs

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    all tickets should be distributed through the clubs
    That gets us back into the whole issue of fans of the English league vs. fans of the EL. It certainly would improve the athmosphere, the IRFU generally have no problems generating athmosphere.

The FAI are always going to favour corporate companies - it's a you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours thing I pressume. Certainly in terms of athmosphere it would be ideal if no tickets went that direction.

Without going as far as all tickets going to the clubs a step in the right direction would be to at least make people go out and buy the tickets. At least they would genuinely want to be there rather than just sitting in an office waiting to be asked "do you want tickets" - "yes" - "how many do you want?" - "five please, no wait we'll have lads from London over that day, put me down for an extra three" - "so that's eight, no problem". That's the scenario in my head anyway.

the fai are notorious for this sort of stuff. you look at west stand, full of snobs and suits (businessmen).

a perfect example is the mexican wave. it starts usually in the south bucket and goes around the whole stadium until we reach the centre of the west stand. nobody moves or gets up and it dies off. however the south keep it going again thank god.

its all a bit of craic but some people dont think so. the fai has a 2 year waiting list of block bookers. yet they give away free tickets to club chairmen, secretaries etc.. we need a bigger ground with 60,000 capacity. simple as that. it would solve so many problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

Originally posted by p.pete
    That gets us back into the whole issue of fans of the English league vs. fans of the EL.

you can be fans of both cant u?

i'd imagine something like, go to 4 EL or lower division matches, keep your stubs, then a few weeks before the international, go along to the club and present em and buy your ticket. the more match stubs you have, the more tickets you get etc. aint gonna stop you supporting prem clubs is it?

i agree bout the suits. been to one international my whole life (well the fact that i live in galway doesnt help), was watching the us-v-albania game with a suit from dublin who didnt know half the player's names who then started braggin (immediatly breaking the dont-talk-during-matches-unless-you're-woohooing-or-cursing rule) that he could have gone to the game, that his sister gets sent a "book of tickets" for every match. almost cried!

i agree bout the suits. been to one international my whole life (well the fact that i live in galway doesnt help), was watching the us-v-albania game with a suit from dublin who didnt know half the player's names who then started braggin (immediatly breaking the dont-talk-during-matches-unless-you're-woohooing-or-cursing rule) that he could have gone to the game, that his sister gets sent a "book of tickets" for every match. almost cried!
    A book of tickets - wtf:mad: It would be better if everyone in the audience had to be an EL season ticket holder then for that kind of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

you can be fans of both cant u?

i'd imagine something like, go to 4 EL or lower division matches, keep your stubs, then a few weeks before the international, go along to the club and present em and buy your ticket. the more match stubs you have, the more tickets you get etc. aint gonna stop you supporting prem clubs is it?

I think that is a great idea. Many English clubs do a similar thing for vouchers for their biggest games eg Liverpool did it for tickets for Evertons visit. Personally I go to my EL team every home and about every 2nd away and love travelling for football. I am also in a priveliged position of being a block booker since 1991. I am not say ing that this is the ideal situation but itwould be fairer for the lifeblood of the game in Ireland. God knows that the FAI will shaft the punters whenever possible, at least the paying customers commitment to grass roots game can be rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jacksonflam

so what songs should this band play..? if we are to emulate the english all the songs will have to be xenophobic in origin. "rule brittania, brittania rules the waves engerland never never never shall be slaves" (unlike all others whom we shall enslave...). the theme tune to the dambusters, ie. we are great at war and we stuffed gerry who we still vehemently hate. or why not "god save the queen" accompanied ironically by nazi salutes...

the reason that there is no atmosphere is simple and plain. there are no terraces. boisterous and exhuberant fans are dispersed randomly throughout the ground and they are sitting down. they cannot move to congregate in a cluster of cacophanous extreme noise terror. and the reduced capacity as distinct from rugby games (ruffians, you see...) results in increased ticket prices that excludes the most uninhibited sections of society. case solved. the end.

Advertisement