Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Recommend free BackUp/Sync software

Options
  • 22-08-2003 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Can any recommend any decent backing up tool. Currently using windows backup tool, but find it a bit - crap.....

Thanks in advance
    Tom!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Have heard that 'Stomp Backup' is supposed to be good...but not speaking from experience. I have a copy but decided to use windows xp backup first...although i had some difficulties with it to start with (kept getting errors relating to 'shadow volume copy'), it works ok now.

In what way did you find windows backup crap?...just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Sorry, I was probably a little over zealous, its not that its crap - i just find it extremely frustrating to use. Try ing to decide on the best back up option - as in diferential, copy etc.

Everyime it backs up my files it increases the size of the back up file - it was up to 15 gigs the other day - so i had to delete the backup file and start all over again and now its back to 450k.

My its the way im using it - but i would prefer something thats easier to use!

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

you could have a look at the selection of freeware backup tools at webattack ...there is bound to be one that fits your needs ... I have never used one of these though

I had the same problem with the windows backup tool ...absolutely massive backup files after a while .... so I dont backup half as often as I should anymore....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Thanks man -

Im glad Im not the only one that had problems with Windows backup facility - I felt like a n00b posting this message, but I reall thought it was pretty bad, or that I just didnt know how to use it!

Thanks again
    Tom

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

There's quite a few Synching programs at this link;
    http://www.foldermatch.com/fmcompetitors.htm - the Folder Match one is the best one I've used (I use it for back up as it synchs the files, i.e. copies indiviual files as opposed to one big file like Windows Backup does)

• Advertisement
Advertisement