Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My personal empire expands. Conspiracy theorists, here's the goodies.

Options
  • 11-04-1999 12:06am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Further to my plans to harness the *raw power* of Irish quake and turn it into a veritable money making machine for me and Spin Solutions...

From Truegamers,
    We´re gonna get back to normal updating of news in the next days. Earlier we just posted facts but it´s boring for us to write without views and probably boring for you to read just facts so that will be changed. Joining us with writing news is Ireland´s very own DeVore. We are also moving True Gamers to a well known network of sites in a couple of weeks, we don´t want to say which now but it will be a great improvement in many ways.

For this I will get paid a WHOPPING *nothing*. I also am writing for The Player. I'll be writing a bi-monthly column for them possibly called "State Of Play" about international gaming. For this I am being paid nothing, with the possibility of a whole 50 pounds at an unspecified date in the future.

[This message has been edited by DeVore (edited 11-04-99).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ChRoMe99

instead of taking petty swipes why dont you talk it out with me instead of just leaving irc when you are challenged (made me think that i was right on the ball when you promptly left)

ChRoMe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Chrome ... I stayed and talked to you about it.. and its not a petty swipe...

You yourself said that ...

"I have spoken to people in the community who are heavily involved"

The suggestion here that there are a number of "heavily involved" people in the quake community who think that the only reason that Devore is doing anything for the Irish Team is purely for financial gain.

So if your statement is true, this means that some people are talking behind Devore's back and because these people are heavily involved in quake and are too chicken to say anything to his face, I would say it is entirely appropriate to say something.

And as for " I can talk about what happened at QP but I wont because i was told things in confidence" is very amusing surely you can tell us this story? This suggests some underhanded dealings took place.

The sooner that this petty behavior stops the better.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have better things to do then argue with your inane and insubstantiated "opinions".

As for "taking swipes" it occurs to me that since you have nothing even remotely approaching proof (or even something to base suspicion on) it is simply the attention seeking along the lines of your famous "support for the IRA" opinion. It is *you* I feel who are taking swipes at me.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Chrome stop proving to us that you are a ubermuppet. If you even have a clue about all the work thats involved in organising an event like QP then you would realise that Dev far from making money, he lost money. Dev is self employed, therefore anytime he spends on Quake related events etc. is money that he could of made. Christ on a newsgroup you'd be called a troll. Maybe u'd like to tell Dev or even mail on this board who the "heavily involved" people are who are saying things, I doubt there are any !!!!

Gandalf.

[This message has been edited by gandalf (edited 11-04-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

We've all said chrome was a muppet for quite some time..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I'm surprised your all actually taking anything that Chrome says seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

I think we should hand Chrome over to the UL gay society (Beast is chairperson) and let them have their way with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

1) You're writing for The Player?

Not speaking to you any more then. tongue.gif

2) And they're not paying you?

That, my friend, is criminal. They _desperately_ need writers who know what they're on about, and to take on an expert columnist and NOT PAY THEM is pretty well out of order - even if you suggested it to them rather than vice versa, you should still be getting paid going journalistic rate - which admittedly isn't much, but it's better than nothing.

For those who asked why The Player have better netgames coverage than G4, despite the glaring fact that G4 have netgamers on staff and Player don't, the reason is because The Player ran the big Team.IE story in their second issue, and we don't want to look like we're picking up the pieces on their story. Not my decision, but I go along with it. However, this month we do have a feature for netgaming newbies (admittedly not a great one, but at least it's there) and Tribes is our game of the Month. You can also expect something special in the way of netgames coverage over the coming months...

To get back on topic and away from plugging the mag, Chrome is way out of line here, but not for the reasons that we all expect.

Put simply, to accuse Dev of "being in Quake for the money", or whatever charming manner it was put in, is dumb. NONE of us are in gaming for the money - we're doing it because we love it. Now, if you can make money off it as well - being paid for doing something you'd do anyway! - then well and good. I'd imagine that Dev isn't turning a profit on his Quake activities, but rather is out of pocket, but if he can use it to promote his company, and eventually make money from it all, then well and good, fair play to him. I personally make money from gaming... But does that mean I'm only in it for the money?

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Shinji, I hope EM get a mention in the tribes article smile.gif You'll want to talk to the best player then smile.gif

What do you do in the mag?, surely yer not a jurno? say it aint so

When does the issue go on sale?

On Dev, never met him but I thought every half wit knew that ppl heavy involved in irish games scene (or indeen any games scene) is prolly loosing money though lost work time and suffers from a complete lack of social life - you could argue that they are building their CV (ohh the crime!) but dev has sipnsol. Get a grip and come back to us when you do your junior cert.

[em]vagga

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Chrome, time and time again, I read ure dumb posts and shake my head sadly at how much of a tosser you are.
    Dev is in Quake for the money, yeah that's right, that's why the lad forked out a TON of money for France, and puts hours into organisin shiit for us. You're always lookin for somethin wrong, p!ss off and stop annoying us.

Zero.
    P.S. Just heard the KINGS of CA lost twice today?? hehe Take it CG!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dev might be a crazed power hungry loon,but he has done a lot of stuff for the various quake comunities and the idea of a moron like chrome complaing about him is a joke.
    If Dev can enjoy his hobby,give others the same enjoyment and make a few bob all i can say is FAIR PLAY TO HIM.I wish we could all be so lucky.

Take It chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The idea of Chrome being 'right on the ball' about anything is a joke. His opinion is worth about as much as a truck load of dead rats in a tampon factory - i think its a pity that it is nigh on impossible for DeV or anyone else to make money out of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, im not going into the whole chrome thing coz its been said before.

however, i think at one stage or another weve all had a good look at DeV and wondered what he was doing. i mean i personally thought at one stage he was trying to take over the world. of course, i still think it!
    go Dev go Dev go Dev
    but, im glad we got DeV. I know he hads his critics, as we all have, but criticism isnt a bad thing.
    he knows how important he is to the community but he also knows that he is a part of the community and if he does anything really silly we will call him names and say horrible things about his willy size.
    you go girl.
    and no, he didnt pay me to say these things. after all, he didnt get paid for his articles. mind you, if i hold my breath long enough..........
    wwman.gif
    WhiteWash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Well I'm gonna be writing for EuroQuake, which is a newish Euro Q2 Organisation.

They havent said any wonderful things about me... yet smile.gif

Kegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

yeah Vagga mate, I'm a journo. Sorry smile.gif

But hey, I get free ****. It's cool. tongue.gif

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

After meeting you at QP Chrome, I thought you were sound enough. After reading nonsense like this, that opinion has changed very quickly.

One thing, DeV, seeing as there's only one letter's difference between our names (DeV and DaV), can I be second in command. I've even started growing the goatee!!! It'll be groovy, think about it. I've worked out how we can screw money outta the Q2 mupets aswell (to say nothing of what's gonna happen when Q3A is launched...) muHAAHAAHAAAAAAaaaaaaaa!!!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

/me changes the flow of the thread slightly

Ah DeV! Someone has DeVore.COM!

I think DevsGoatie.COM might still be there though.

Here's my cool domain name recommendations...

* Muppetry.COM
    * BartsButt.COM (remember the Simpson's episode where he had to write "My butt does not deserve a website")
    * Cybernians.COM

Please send all royalties generated to cloud@thepentagon.com.

J.
    --
    Sorry, devore.com is unavailable...

Registrant:
    DeVore Technologies, Inc. (DEVORE-DOM)
    71 Harriman Street
    Bedford, OH 44146

Domain Name: DEVORE.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Rabne, Mark (MR504) [No mailbox]
    216/232-3846
    Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
    Hostmaster, APK Net (ANH2) hostmaster@APK.NET
    (216)241-7166 (FAX) (216)241-7522

Record last updated on 01-Jun-97.
    Record created on 30-Jul-95.
    Database last updated on 13-Apr-99 15:39:22 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS2.APK.NET 207.54.159.4
    NS1.APK.NET 207.54.159.2

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Not one to take things in any way a bit too far are ya John?

curlydav.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lets mail bomb the b@stards!

however, i believe whitewashman.com is still available smile.gif

you can all be in my gang. i even play q1 so that MUST make me popular!

white(damn you DeV, damn you to hell)wash

Advertisement