Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admitting to file-sharing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

If you feel guilty about downloading MP3:

You can try to call RIAA:
    http://www.zug.com/gab/index.cgi?func=view_thread&sort=active&head=1&thread_id=33342&mailid=20030901

Or the records comapnies:
    http://www.zug.com/gab/index.cgi?func=view_thread&sort=active&head=1&thread_id=33571

And try to pay for the MP3 you downloaded...

Raphael

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    I dont really think that the company itself would work out with the highest percentage of the profits.
    They do. Donald Passman includes all the figures for absolutely everything in his book. It's a cracking read - should be mandatory reading for anyone interested in starting a band. Passman may be a lawyer but the book's written very simply so that anyone can read it and understand it. I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in how the music industry works. It's great as a reference book for anyone starting their own band or getting a contract but it's also amazingly readable as a general read.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Wired article from today that may be of interest. The RIAA are offering an amnesty to anyone who admits they've been file-sharing, destroys their mp3s, signs a piece of paper admiting they know of the legal implications so they can definitely be sued and pops their soul in the post. Excerpt:
    The music industry plans to offer what it calls a "general amnesty" to file traders who step forth and promise not to do it again, but experts say few will take the bait.

In addition, the Recording Industry Association of America intends to file its first wave of lawsuits against file traders next week.

The offer, first reported by Billboard Bulletin, would require people to sign a notarized form promising to delete illegally downloaded files from their computer, submit a copy of a photo identification and pledge to stop the infringing behavior. In return, the RIAA would agree to not sue them.

Those who violate the agreement would be charged with willful copyright infringement.

Very dangerous thing to sign in my opinion but I suppose some will take the bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Check out CNN.
    261 music file swappers sued; amnesty program unveiled.

Advertisement