Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell LatitudeD600-Gaming?

• 22-08-2003 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

My college course requires a laptop, and they have a deal with Dell for cheaper laptops.

The best one available has:

Pentium M 1.3 Processor
    512mb RAM
    ATI Radeon 9000 4xAGP, 32mb DDR Video SDRAM
    40gb hard drive

My question is will this play the next generation games such as Deus Ex 2, HL2, Doom 3?

Is it worth 2000 euro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You would be better of going to the P4 Dell's, they would suit gaming far more.

Also, get a 64mb graphics card as a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the pentium-m 1.4 is competitive with the p4 2.4 performance wise.

I would say it could be pushing it to run hl2 and doom3, considering the graphics card is a 9000, they will run though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

you'll get better performance graphics wise from a inspiron...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Thanks but that really is the best one they offer.Of the other two, one has a Celeron processor, and the other has Intel graphics.

the pentium-m 1.4 is competitive with the p4 2.4 performance wise.

Benchmarks have shown that this is the case in some applications. One of the primary benefits is the power saving features of the processor it seems.

If the laptop is used primarily on the move, then get the Centrino. Otherwise get a P4 laptop, purely for cost versus performance reasons.

I personally have a 3.06 P4 laptop from Advent. It has a 64mb Radeon 9000 graphics card and has been able to manage anything I have thrown at it. It only cost 1800 euro, which is far cheaper than what Dell will offer for an equivelent spec. Also, dont buy a Dell over a lesser brand on the basis that you will be get an equally better product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Benchmarks have shown that this is the case in some applications. One of the primary benefits is the power saving features of the processor it seems.

If the laptop is used primarily on the move, then get the Centrino. Otherwise get a P4 laptop, purely for cost versus performance reasons.

I personally have a 3.06 P4 laptop from Advent. It has a 64mb Radeon 9000 graphics card and has been able to manage anything I have thrown at it. It only cost 1800 euro, which is far cheaper than what Dell will offer for an equivelent spec. Also, dont buy a Dell over a lesser brand on the basis that you will be get an equally better product.

Was it €1800 in the Dublin PCWorld or somewhere in UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

cr1spy.

If you're looking for a laptop, go here www.ajp.co.uk

http://www.ajp.co.uk/prices.html for the price list. A P4 3.06ghz, 17'' widescreen tft, 80gb hdd and radeon 9000 should work out at about €2000.

Got it for 1800 euro in PC World in Sprucefield, near Lisburn. Just south of Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I was about to post the exact same question...

The advantage of the Centrino is that we're going to be using the UCD wireless network and P4s eat battery power afaik.. and the D600 has a metallic case.

Apart from the processor, the D600 looks like a powerful machine but I want to check out the Inspirons before I pay..

I'm not familiar with benchmarks etc and have been using a pIII 700 desktop with nothing to compare it to... Just to get an idea.. Even though the pentium M is a power-saving mobile chip, I assume the 1.3ghz will kick the PIII's ass performance-wise?

Oh and is 256 -> 512 megs of ram for €72 worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'd get the extra memory for sure, 512 is a minimum these days I reckon - plus it may help your battery life as the disk will be swapping less.

As for gaming, I think any of the machines mentioned will play current and past games just fine. Future games like HL2/Doom3 will be playable only with all the settings turned down imho.

Teeth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement