Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a few wee questions

Options
  • 22-08-2003 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

i was overclocking my athlon 2600+ asus a7n8x pc3200 memory

i had it running prime95 at 2295mhz 1.8v core (or there abouts) at 51 degrees after about 5-10 minutes of running that.It did that without error. But the 12v value on the asus probe increased to over 11% of normal value.The other voltages were grand. Is that anything to be worried about/fixable

also watercooling how expensive would it cost to put it together would it all fit in the case how much would it weigh.

Also the big question the meaning of life really
    :D

Is all this worth it i mean other then being able to brag etc is it really worth having a watercooled overclocked system running chips at exsorbiant speeds

sorry about the spelling
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Thats a pretty nice overclock so far, what sorta cooling do you have? Wouldnt be too woried about those temps, keep em under 60'C .

Water cooling definetly has its advantages, lower temps, very quiet, and good bragging rites :) .
    The best irish site ive seen for water cooling is www.hitide.ie , they have kits from €139 - €249. There made by innovatek which are making a good name for themselves.

Check out this site to see how water coolers are comparing .....Here . It has reviewed alot of coolers and innovatek some second, just behind the expensive corsair aqua cooler (available on komplett.ie).

You really should run prime for 6-12hours to insure its totally stable. With water cooling and that chip you could possible hit 2.4 - 2.5ghz which is damm sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

so the 12v thing is no prob ok that was really my only worry

i have the heatsink and fan that cam with the chip and i have 2 80mm fans one blowing in at the side of the case pretty mush pointing at the chip and one blowing out the back just over the chip

I not really planing to run the chip overclocked (well without watercooling) all the time as it is a noise b don't want to destroy it and c It makes the room too warm

I just want to know how far i can go if i need extra power for someit.

But will most of theses systems fit all in one box ie will i have pumps and reservors all over the room.

Also has anyone ever managed to hook a watercooling system into the central heating of the house ie using it as a seperate boilor to the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Since you have "stock" cooling, i wouldnt recomend going up as high as 1.8v. Think you should keep it to arround 1.725 - 1.75v to be safe. Check in sisandra too see if your PSU is under or over volting. Ie if you set the bios to 1.7v, make sure your cpu isint getting 1.75 ........

Im not that well up on the voltages , should prob ask one of the other board members about the 12v thing ....... :rolleyes:

Generally i think people have fitted nearly all the water cooling kit inside their case, except for the reservors. Am getting one prob this week so i will be better able to say..... Granted i have a pretty big TT Xaser II case , so i dont think it'l be a problem.

As for heating the house ...... might be worth a try :) , free heating and good performance , what more could a guy want !!

ya i was thinking if i'd do the water cooling thing id have a setup like
    http://www.modfatha.net/h20guide.htm

i think it is all internal the reservor is in the 1 of the drive bays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

(I seem to post something saying this every month or so, but what the hey)

According to the ATX power supply specs, your PSU should be kicking out 12v +/- 5%, which amounts to 11.4 -> 12.6v.

A little bit either side of this is no problem; however, if your 12v line is going very high, well, it's better than undervolting (which suggests that the PSU can't meet the current demands being made on it).

Anyway, Prime95 is a synthetic benchmark, and as it runs in memory and doesn't require regular HDD/CD/whatever accesses (if memory serves), chances are the HDD/CD drives/whatever will spin down after a bit, which will increase the 12v line a bit as the load is taken off.

I don't know if the Asus software does it, but other packages, including Motherboard Monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/), allow for logs of voltages/temps/etc. to be kept, so that you can see how stable the power system is in your rig over long time periods.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    Originally posted by zepp
    But will most of theses systems fit all in one box ie will i have pumps and reservors all over the room.
    It depends of your case size. For example: the innovatek single radiator is very small, it should fit into a normal midi-case (if not in the front, than you can install it under the top. All other components will easily fit into the case (water reservoir is attached to the pump, no problem with that).
    Also has anyone ever managed to hook a watercooling system into the central heating of the house ie using it as a seperate boilor to the oil.
    Oh yes. There is a kind of konvektor on its way. You can attach it to your case (it looks like a normal heating konvektor).
    You can use this konvektor as a passive cooling up to 80 Watts power.
    This makes your PC almost silent and heats your room. :D
    have a look here (is in german, but there are pictures)
    http://www.innovatek.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610

Regards,

jow

emm stylish but practical

but can you get one with a real fire effect with perphaps a few logs

Advertisement