Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

msn 6.0

Options
  • 23-08-2003 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

theres like 2 msmsgs.exe in processes when u ctrl alt del it and do know why the older version still working ? and is there anyway to stop it ?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Afaik,
    when you install msn 6, you can still run the older version as well. useful maybe if you have a second hotmail address i suppose. I would imagine if you just uninstall the older one, that will then leave you with msn 6 and just the one msmsgs.exe...

Since i installed msn messenger 6, i have been getting this error from time to time whereby the address/passport that should be signed in automatically wont sign in..alledgedly due to an incorrect password. I have installed/uninstalled messenger but eventually this same error returns....But now i'm back to using Trillian:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what o/s r u if your xp the second one might be windows messenger? and the second being msn 6.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

runs msconfig and see how many Messangers are starting up.

if yore O/S is XP, stop the Windows Messanger.

MsN 6 will be the only one to start up then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

But now i'm back to using Trillian
    From October 15th, the old versions of messenger (before v5.0) will no longer be able to connect. Unless a new agreement is made before then, Trillian will not work with MSN either.

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5066412.html?tag=techdirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Unless a new agreement is made before then, Trillian will not work with MSN either.

They keep trying to nudge Trillian out but within a matter of weeks, Trillian will have a modified version out that will work..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    They keep trying to nudge Trillian out but within a matter of weeks, Trillian will have a modified version out that will work..

We hope !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

the current trillian version wont be affected by this new msn protocol. trillian pro2 beta is in testing now and will be fine.

the current free one, 0.74 will be affected. but the developers have said that if it is, it wont be for long, they will fix it before they start working on updating the free trillian version.

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

It's not just a technical matter, it's a legal matter. MS are no longer allowing any third party client to just connect to MSN. Cerulean Studios and other companies that want to have msn support in their clients have to pay a licence fee to MS. I'm sure something will be worked out for Trillian Pro, but I can't see them paying money for a licence for the free version, not unless they stick advertisements in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

here is a thread about it all on the trillain forum about it all: linkusmaxiums

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

trillian_151.gif

regarding Trillian I agree- it's a nifty little program.
    And I just love this little guy

trillian_151.gif

yaaay!

Seriously- has anyone encountered any serious problems with messenger 6- I don't really like the look of it- even shiner and more tacky looking than the last one. On that alone I can only assume that its inner workings are equally, well, let's just say this- I hate XP. Is it XPish (please understand what I mean somebody) is it secure? Would you consider it prudent to upgrade or not?

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I'll stop using trillian when you pry it from my cold dead system tray

Guess i'll just stop using msn then. I dont like the look of the resource sapping shiny piece of crap new version at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

hehe- true.
    Even if you can't use it MSN I still like it.
    Oh- and echo...

trillian_151.gif

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Kaimera
    runs msconfig and see how many Messangers are starting up.

if yore O/S is XP, stop the Windows Messanger.

MsN 6 will be the only one to start up then.

But is there any way of uninstalling the damn thing? I start up MSN 6.0 and - suddenly without my asking - Windows Messenger starts up, logs me out on 6.0, and connects in. Have to sign out and sign back in. I went to Control Panel and Add/Delete programs but saw no entry for it anywhere :confused:

Is it possible then just to stop it starting up on bootup, like with regular applications? Is that the only way to stop the annoying bugger?

Advertisement