Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd continue to set the standards...contains spoilers OBVIOUSLY

• 23-08-2003 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Another brilliant comeback from Utd. Newcastle 1- Utd 2.

Keane amazing play today. Defo deserved motm. Brilliant play.

Djemba was excellent. Kept it simple. Showed his confidence and Skill. Hard tackler. Definitely can see some qualities between himself/makelele/Vieira and Keane.

Giggs was good too. Should have been a free kick first minutes of game. Which should have had the newcastle centre back sent off(cant remember his name).

Shearers goal debateable whether is should have been alowed because of a foul on Ferdinand in box.

Ferdinand played really well...despite a first minute hiccup when he was turned blatantly. Amazing last minute block. Whos the donkey now? Saved Man Utd from going home with a point.

Second half utd dominated. somthing like 62 - 38 per cent.

Scholes scored good goal...excellt off the ball movement. Van Nistelrooy scored a typical van goal. Turned, looked up, finish.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yea they were good but newcastle totally lacked the spirit to dig deep and make it a contest for utd keane was fantastic allright newcastle were very poor though and dejmba gave away like 6 balls no way the finished articale but he is young like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i thought djemba was pretty poor to be honest, kept giving the ball away although he did show hunger and passion to win it back. give him a season or 2 and he'll be up there with the best.

keane was superb as was giggs. van the man gave a typical performance as did scholes, worked their socks off.

howard did well and reminded me of shmeichael by dominating his penalty area. ref was a joke as was jeff winter. uriah rennie is notorious for being a poor ref, not premiership standard. utd should have had at least one peno and o'brien should have been sent off.

2-1 was a fair result. utd were fantastic the 2nd half, n'castle hardly got a touch. fergie sent off for mouthing off to jeff winter. had every right to have a go at him. championship looks to be safe if the 1st 2 games are anything to go by.

i dont think n'castle were poor, i think utd were too much for them.

n'castle closed down well in the 1st half and pressurised utd into making mistakes. the 2nd half utd showed their class and n'castle had no answer to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Definitely can see some qualities between himself/makelele/Vieira and Keane.

thats all i said. He still was excellent. Thats the qualities he showed. He gave it away in the middle of the park but so did every player a few times but he did more positive than negative.

About the ref, although it should have been a sending off so early on. And made a very poor decision. He usually is good. I felt a bit sorry for him today actually.

1-2 was a very good result for Utd since they were away etc...great result. Ronaldo came on last 15 minutes, did a few step overs, nothing special. You can see the talent there. but there only giving him match time.

uriah rennie is definately one of the poorest in the league. sure he was relegated 2 seasons ago to division 1 for being so poor in the premiership!

even the fa noticed it. wenger and fergie have both complained about him before. robson too.

graham poll and mike riley are the best in the premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Normal to see sloppy passing 1st couple of games of season from most teams.

Why was fergie sent off? in work and on the minute by minute ,Giggs was fouled then 2 minutes later fergie was off didnt say why he was mouthing or if he was right.

kdjac

sent off for giving out to the 4th official, jeff winter, after giggs was fouled clearly and ref didnt give it.

when the ref came over, he threw a few 'f**ks' at him. then kicked something over. ref didnt actually show him the red card but told him to go to the stands.

He was told to go down below wasnt he to the dressing room.

"****off, that was a ****en stupid decision, ****en stupid decision" to fourth official. Kicked what i thought was a ball down the pitch...not sure. Could have been a water bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

"****off, that was a ****en stupid decision, ****en stupid decision" are words very appropiate to the situation, Giggs was clean through, O'Brien was the last man and took him out, Rennie bottled the decision totaly.;)

BTW congrats to Ruud on equaling John Aldridges record of goals in 10 consecitive top division games.

****off, ****en joke. ****en Joke.
    were the word used actually. Not that it makes much difference. I just saw it there live again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

n'castle werent poor utd were too much for them

are u on drugs or blind?. I am a newcastle fan and thats the worst ive ever seen them play.Ever1 was ****. Ameobi might not have been if he was aloud challenge for the ball but instead Mr rennie let the centre backs drag out of him and any time he dragged back it was a free to united.utd looked decent but i wouldn't get my hopes up chealsea or the pool or arsenal would have beeten them today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm a Newcastle fan too and the second half was the worst I've seen them play in ages. They were abysmal.

Having said that, it's always nice to see United supporters getting upset at 'poor' refereeing decisions, given how much they get given :) In fairness though, O'Brien should have been sent off.

Thankfully Mike 'Manchester United' Riley wasn't doing the ref'ing :rolleyes:

are u on drugs or blind?

Why dont you ask yourself the same question?:rolleyes:
    ``From start to finish, they just just edged it with a slight difference in quality,'' Robson said. ``We had two players missing, they didn't.

``I thought we did very well first half. I thought we controlled the game. We got a strong header from Alan and I thought we just edged the first half.

``This corresponding game last year at half-time, we were 4-1 down. Today, we were one up, so that's a significant difference.

``They scored 11 times against us last year; today they've got two, so I think we've closed the gap somewhat.

``But the gap's still there. How big that gap is, I don't know, but there's a gap between them and us, and I think they just proved that today, just proved it.

``We've got a bit to do, but we'll be okay.''

You didn't play poorly the second half. You just could not get the ball. See posession stats. You got eaten alive second half and the score could have been bigger...and i dont blam Uriah Renney for not sending O Brien Off. He was behind the play. The ****en linesman was a sack of ****. and should have raised the flag.

i understand we had 2 players missing. smemmon said n;castle were good i said they were **** and u just told me why they were ****. we would of had the ball alot more if it wasnt given away cheaply. yes 1 up at half time is good but we still werent playing well and dont compare it to last year cus that was **** too.

This is your manager who is comparing. He knows his stuff. The man is a very good manager.
    I'm a Newcastle fan too and the second half was the worst I've seen them play in ages. They were abysmal.
    as said by twoshedsjackson.

You didnt play ****. We just outplayed you second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

Originally posted by UbahOne

Shearers goal debateable whether is should have been alowed because of a foul on Ferdinand in box.

It was Silvestre, but you're absolutely right, it should've been a free out. I'm not at all surprised though, Shearer the scumbag has been getting away with it for years.

Thats what i think should have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good performance by Utd. Newcastle were poor in defencen and Midfield. Their goal was debatable but not a clear cut free out IMO . O brien should have walked for the professional foul. Utd Looked comfortable even when behind to me they always looked like they were going to win the match as they did. On Todays performance necastle will find it difficult to improve on lat years
    position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Newcy were appaling in the second half gave Utd far too much respect but should have equalised in the last minute.
    Keane was superb Djemba was good but gave sloppy balls away and was caught in possession.

Newcastel(NEwcy??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) were not appaling. They were overridden with possesion.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Newcastel(NEwcy??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) were not appaling. They were overridden with possesion.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: stop posting the same thing over and over again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :P p:0)9l::PP;PP:PEp:C)(():/()L)_P::|(D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

watche the game. i thought UTD were good but newcastle were poor. Dyer, Bowyer, Speed and Robert(as usual) were non existant. Jenas should have started. Newcastles defence was terrible and from that performance O'Brien needs to improve drastically to demand a place in Ireland team.

From a UTD point of view there was a number of positives to take from the game. Scholes was his usual busy self. great to see Keane getting back to his best, 2 assists and should have had another only for some uncharacteristic finishing from RUUD. Djemba wasn't to hot today but he battled away which is good. Was really impressed by Howards alertness to situations. Memories of the great Dane. However, I felt that UTD were in 4th Gear all day. They didn't seem to be even trying. That may be a problem they need to sort out. There is no room for Complacency in the premiership. Wolves on wednesday will be a good test of that.

The thing i was most impressed about was Van the Man. I don't think he is playing at his best, in fact the last 2 games I have seen him play he was pretty poor, by his standards. But even though he seems to be playing poorly he is still scoring which is the sign of a great player.

im still confident the toon will do well.They never start well anyway. the last time they did they came 2nd which probably indicates were not going to come 1st or 2nd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Newcastle's back line was appaling. Whatever about Hughes, O'Brien, Bramble and Griffin aren't anywhere near Championship standard.

He should have thrown some of Bowyer's wages at an experienced defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

In all honesty Newcastle were poo and missed Bellamy alot. They were shaky at the back, dodgy in the middle and lucky to get one up front, they gave away the ball far too much and really did not look like they cared too much. United were workmanlike and battled hard with Keane their only outstanding player and that only in the second half...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Newcastle were super-brilliant - but my team (the Winners Manchester United) were way more super brilliant. They really are the best team in the land. We win nearly all the time and have the most trophies of all the other teams in the last ages. We are the best and totally control all the games and have the best players and I am great for supporting them.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I still think that United have ALOT more to work on after that performance. They should have put Newcastle away several times in the match when they were totally in control. One mistake is all it takes to lose a lead like that. And a couple of times they did get away with giving the ball away, nearly causing a goal or two.

Newcastle were poor, there is no doubt about that. They didn't seem at all hungry to win the game especially in the last ten minutes. I thought only for the referee that they would get hammered off the pitch.

Advertisement