Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mutu scores on his debut

• 23-08-2003 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing his goal later on did take a while to adapt but his link up play was excellent, and scored a cracker. Veron did not influence the game as much as he did last week but still was solid.
    Lamps getting better and better.
    Unfortunatley Bridge was sloppy and Terry didn't have one his games to remember.
    Duff was excellent worked his socks off too Leic couldn't cope with him at all.
    By no means a perfect performance but still 3 points all the same.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I thought Mutu was poor apart from his goal. He wasn't on the same wavelength as the rest of the team at all. Chelsea's play was very lumbered, there was very little fluidity about it. Most of their best play came through Bridge, Duff or Hasselbaink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

You obviously saw the 90mins tell me more, my friends were at the game and Mutu and Duff were electryfing in the second half.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The game was on Canadian TV for some reason, Newcastle vs Man Utd? naaaah, Chelsea vs Leicester!

Duff caused some problems though i wouldn't say he was electrifying. He was eventually replaced by Joe Cole on 80 mins. Cole made a fair contribution - Ricardo Scimeca got a second yellow in a slide tackle on him, and he thundered a shot off the bar after nipping past Ben Thatcher with a neat bit of skill.

Mutu saw a fair bit of the ball but he never really seemed fully in touch with the rest of the team. Passing moves involving him would be very forced, his teammates wouldn't correctly anticipate his runs, etc. I guess it will just take a bit of time for him to learn to play with Chelsea's style. His goal was a cracker though, his free-kick rebounded off the wall and he smacked it into the corner.

Geremi was sent off a little harshly for a two footed challenge. It didn't really make much difference though, as Geremi had a quiet game and Leicester eventually finished on 9 men, Rogers was sent off for kicking Gronkjaer on the ground.

I was quite impressed by Leicester. They spent only around 700k over the summer i believe, but they put up a very good fight. Brian Deane had a header graze the bar with 5 minutes left. They were very industrious and kept Chelsea's millions in check. If they play like that for the rest of the season they'll stay up no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I only seen the crappy RTE highlights. You would see more by watching it on teletext that watching it on RTE. From what I did see Mutu looks like he is going to be a success. Scored a cracker and set up a few chances all after he recieved a nasty hand injury.

Chelsea's defence looks dodgy. I honestly can't understand why Gallas is not getting a game. He's a brillant player. They will have to improve but i expect they will.

Gallas isn't really fully fit but I'm expecting him to come in soon.

• Advertisement

Crespo would have scored yesterday he'd eat those Duff crosses for breakfast, very similar to Van Nistelrooy in his style of play looking forward to him and Mutu.:)

well I've just seen the whole game and the CFC players really did want it this is a proof that the press never watch 90 mins of footie, saying how Veron played in his Utd days says what a load of bull**** the way he dictates the game is unbelievalbe and covered every blade of grass, unfortunately Terry didn't have one of his best, Mutu really did come into it is superb off the ball and has an extreme change of pace and lots of tricks, Bridge was good going forward but lacks pace when players attack him, Lamps was is usual industrious self breaking forward and chasing aftr every ball, Duff was very good attacking and defensively, JFH did work well Blackburn will be tough I have great admiration for that game always give us a good game.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

likewise I was very impressed with mutu's movement, something that is often lacking with JFH , he'll tune into the wavelength particulalry with Duff (who was out-fecking-standing) and be a force to be reckoned with. Not sure how much he knew about that goal but he certainly booted it, i even thought walker was going to get a hand to it , luckily he didn't or he probably have lost it !

Still have some reservations about Veron, though he needlessly gave away possession on a few too many occassions with passes to people who simply were not there, but i'll give the baldy ex-manc a chance i guess :-)

Duff is set to become a Chelsea legend everyone was in awe after the game. Stunned sense of disbelief at the game, in fact still not sure I'm not gonna wake up from a coma any minute now to find CFC in the first division !!

Advertisement