Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deflectors in Co.Cork?

• 23-08-2003 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Being from the east coast, I know f*ck alll about deflectors.

Now that I'm moving to mid-west Cork, however, I NEED to know. So, any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

http://www.southcoasttv.net/
    http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7225/tvch.html

Have info on deflectors also check out the ODTR website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Originally posted by Mike 1972
    http://www.southcoasttv.net/
    http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7225/tvch.html

Have info on deflectors also check out the ODTR website

Thanks.
    Not sure what's going on at southwest though:

proposed timetable

1. In September 2000 extensive testing was undertaken in Co Cork.
    2. In November 2000 a digital TV transmission licence was applied for from the ODTR.
    3. In May 2003-Planned installation of digital infrastructure
    4. In August 2003-Planned digital switch on - start customer installation.
    5. In December 2003-projected figure of 15,000 households connected.
    Projections above are subject to receipt of a digital licence before February 2003

Is all this real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I am not aware of any digital system from South Coast in operation yet. However quite a bit of west Cork is covered by analogue deflectors so you will get BBC1 NI, BBC2 Eng, HTV and Ch4 (or S4C depending on the deflector).

CHEERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also there is always a Digibox and expired UK type 2 subscription card. No monthly charges and perfect pictures on all UK channels. (NO card needed for BBC).

You can buy a Digibox S/H, new or get it subsidized installed (€15 but minimum 1 year sub. You own it from day1). With no sub or no card it gets 9BBC TV but no ITV/Ch4/Five. An Irish sub adds no extra UK ordinary stations.

Signals from "deflectors" (Poorly engineered receivers re-transmitting using CATV gear) tend to be poor.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by watty
    Also there is always a Digibox and expired UK type 2 subscription card. No monthly charges and perfect pictures on all UK channels. (NO card needed for BBC).

You can buy a Digibox S/H, new or get it subsidized installed (€15 but minimum 1 year sub. You own it from day1). With no sub or no card it gets 9BBC TV but no ITV/Ch4/Five. An Irish sub adds no extra UK ordinary stations.

Signals from "deflectors" (Poorly engineered receivers re-transmitting using CATV gear) tend to be poor.

Thanks watty, I'll already have a spare digibox as I'm getting a new subscription down there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To the best of my knowledge SCTV were never awarded their licence for digital TV. The scheme never got beyond consultation stage. COMREG did issue a response to the consultation (ODTR Doc 01/97, see www.comreg.ie ) but has done nothing since.

Since Tomas Guildea retired from the Dail and the government no longer has to rely on the independent TDs, the political impetus to provide these licences has gone. Moreover, most of SCTV's prospecitive digital customers have chosen Sky by this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

SCTVs digital scheme may never have got approved as it was technically ill concieved using gear meant for Satellite. Terrestrial Digital done properly uses a differnt modulation coding scheme (the MPEG2 is the same) that is better resistant to multipath and ghosting etc which does not affect satellite downlinks.

The proposed band would have interfered with other services too.

Advertisement