Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening pages in new browser window

Options
  • 24-08-2003 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

On my last install of windows I clicked/checked a button or something somewhere that meant that any program that opened a web page, did so in a new window, rather than using any open ones. Anybody any idea of what or where it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

open up any folder

win98

go to edit>folder options

win2k/Xp

go to tools>folder options

in there it should say browse windows giving you to open in new window or open in previous open window.

dunno if that helps but it might

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

I know what you mean, but that would only make new explorer / My Computer windows open in a new window. What I meant is that if I have an Internet Explorer window open, and click a link within a program, or it does something that opens a web page, I want it to open in a new IE window rather in the one that I am most likely already using looking at something else. I know I can always go back after I've finished, but I prefer to keep them seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I cannot be certain about this now because to tell the truth I dont use IE but i think ure looking for Start -> settings -> cont pan -> Internet Prop -> advanced -> Browsing /untick Reuse windows for launching. Try that to see if it helps it may anyway you sound as if u should be using Mozilla; with tabs u never have to worry about new pages they are a middle or Ctrl click away, it also has pop-up block and ads blocking its by far the browser in the world (if u have a slow net connection and dont wanto download mozilla get mozilla firebird its just the browser and no mail IRC etc..).

Anyway sorry for the plug but it really is far better then IE, try Moz you will not go back to IE its that good.Have it loading in memory so it starts up quick.

By the way in case ure wondering what tabs are thatey are a way of using only one windows yet having SEVERAL web-pages open check this out it's not the best shot but if u look close u can see the two tabs open one is the car web site the other is mozilla.org. Check it out! it rock IE into dust baby:p :D i have ten boards threads open right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Hold down the SHIFT button when you click the link.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    I cannot be certain about this now because to tell the truth I dont use IE but i think ure looking for Start -> settings -> cont pan -> Internet Prop -> advanced -> Browsing /untick Reuse windows for launching. Try that to see if it helps it

That's it, I've gone over those options a dozen times and never payed it any attention. Cheers!

I know about the shift + click, but it doesn't usually work if you open it from a third party application.

I know all about tabs - Opera had them first afaik, and I do like its interface :) I would use Mozilla but I'm just to used to IE. I'll give it a go again today to see anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Go back to Opera!

I'm using the newest version Opera 7.11 and it's just excellent!
    I love the tabbed browsing and ... heh... I've the colour set to Red right now and it quite aesthetically pleasing to the eye, I have to say!:)

I do use Opera often enough. 7.11 is a great version. My favourite things are the tabbed browsing, mouse gestures (though, then I try them on IE if I use it again, and it gets frustrating) and the fact that you can put the address bar at the bottom! It just feels right there. Oh, and the built in google search and paste-n-go are nifty.

</ad>

Advertisement