Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

confusion

• 24-08-2003 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Now...before i even start some people might laugh at this post, and i wouldnt blame you because its pure craziness!!!

But...I will be meeting my boyfriend for dinner later. Now this is the first time we have gone out for dinner, we've only started going out recently. Im fretting already!!! LOL!!! I hope he lets me pay half of the meal as well because im afraid he will think im a golddigger!!! My ex got highly insulted though when we got the bill and i put down the 10er for my part...but surely most guys would like a girl that doesnt expect everything to be bought for her??? Oh anyway this is a silly post i know but seriously, do most guys think its ok for the girl to go halves or pay her share and please say my ex woz an exception LOL because im odd like that in that i would like us to be equal in all respects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by Unr3gis456
    My ex got highly insulted though when we got the bill and i put down the 10er for my part...
    I would be highly annoyed too if you thought that a tenner was going to cover your side of the bill. Name a restaurant anywhere in Dublin that you can buy so much as a napkin for a tenner.

Anyway don't be worrying about your date. If you put out tonight, the entire evening will have been a success in his eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Emm ok...well first of all it wasnt in Dublin, and second of all the bill was for €20...So of course i can't name a place in Dublin with those prices considering Dublin is an expensive place...So thanks anyway i guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I wouldnt worry too much about paying the bill or anything like that. If i were you offer to pay half the bill if he insists on paying so be it let him have his moment. Its the first time you've gone out to dinner

Most guys have this romantic idea thats its nice if we pay the bill and we can sweep women off there feet or something to that degree, we've been brought up to believe that by our parents! its not true obviosuly but we like to do that every now and again so just go with the flow, your not spunging from him and you can always take him out to the movies some other time or to dinner and you can pay for it then.

If i went out to dinner and my GF offered to pay half the bill i wouldnt mind i'd ask first are you sure but if she wanted to pay half the bill grand, im sure it will be the same for you,

what ever you do just relax and i hope you have a good nite tonight

G'luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Thread_starter, I really wouldn't worry about it. If he asked you out to dinner than he expects to pay.

Just be nice and when the bill comes say I'll give you half of it. He'll say no its on me and he knows then as well that your not a "gold digger" ( although I'm sure he won't think that after one meal!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It was a constant struggle to stop my girlfriend from paying her share of the bill. "ffs, would you let me be nice to you for once!":D

Most of us do have the chivalrous idea of paying for the girl, but my one has browbeaten most of the chivalry out of me.;) Suits me fine, it shows she cares, and it's less of a strain on my wallet. Occasionally she'll let me pay for a meal, and sometimes she insists on paying for the lot. Give and take, you see.

If you at least offer to pay for what you ordered, it's a good sign in my book. Surprise him sometime by paying in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Unr3gis456
    im odd like that in that i would like us to be equal in all respects.
    That’s highly commendable. I suggest you ask him whether he normally seeks to bankroll all his friends. This will put him in a bit of a logical dilemma as if not they he would have to admit that he considers you differently to his friends. Once he’s admits this, ask him why - if he’s really dumb he’ll say that your relationship is romantic - thus equating sex and paying for you...

Then slap him ;)
    Originally posted by stereo_steve
    If he asked you out to dinner than he expects to pay.
    Why? Perhaps on a first date, but even then aren’t we all equal nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you all for the replys! very helpful :-) I'm not stressed now, to be honest i don't know what i was fretting over but dont ya know us girls get like this occasionally haha...anyway thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

You should get worried if you're not gone yet.
    Look at the time!
    Both dresses are equally nice.
    Get out that door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was going out with a student and was 3 earning times what she was. At one point I said that she didn't necessarily have to pay half all the time. I said this not because she was a woman, but because I was earning so much more.

It's not so much a matter of who pays, its more a matter of whats comfortable and not being unseemly. Sometimes saying "Can I get this (the bill)" or "I'll get this" works quite well. One way to stop him insisting on paying is to ask for the bill yourself.

If he insists on paying for dinner, you pay the tip (difficult if paying by credit card) and insist on buying the drinks after.

If he buys cinema tickets, you buy the munchies

If he cooks dinner, you bring the wine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Originally posted by Victor

If he cooks dinner,

you order in the pizza :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Now that's just mean.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Bearing in mind it's a first dinner. He's asked you out so he'll be paying.

Offer to pay half is nice but you're being taken out, so he shoud just thank you for your offer and insist on paying (inc tips). You should be grateful, buy the first drinks afterwards, and put out:D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Its all been said at this stage. Never mind the "other" comments. When I invite some one out I always am assuming I will be paying. If some one is insistant they wish to pay for their half I'd let them. But Victor was right.

Originally posted by Sarky
    Now that's just mean.:(

Yea too true some of us guys can cook............really............we can.............stop laughing............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Originally posted by AL][EN
    Yea too true some of us guys can cook............really............we can.............stop laughing............

Yes But KB * not all males have had the same tutalage in the kitchen as what you have had.

* KB = kitchen bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Or shave all your pubes off as a gift to him. By that I don’t mean give him your pubes in a gift wraped package.... just a smooth set of ladies bits. He might even give you money.

I like that. I like that a lot.

Where is this Tiger Becks you speak of Merc?

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Thaed
    Yes But KB * not all males have had the same tutalage in the kitchen as what you have had.

* KB = kitchen bitch

ok ok fair point, i´ll give you that one thead but you have to admit that the roles of both males and felames in the ª21Ñst (damn spanish keyboard) centuray have reversed somewhat most guys can cook nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ok ok fair point, i´ll give you that one thead but you have to admit that the roles of both males and felames in the ª21Ñst (damn spanish keyboard) centuray have reversed somewhat most guys can cook nowadays

Toasted tuna+cheese sambo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

most guys can cook nowadays

roffle

That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Thread_starter, I really wouldn't worry about it. If he asked you out to dinner than he expects to pay.

And let him pay, especially on the first meal. It's a very ego boosting moment for the lad, and helps calm him down (he's nervous too ya know ;) )

He'll say no its on me and he knows then as well that your not a "gold digger" ( although I'm sure he won't think that after one meal!!)

Very true, you could for instance pay for the taxi after the meal, or perhaps a round of drinks at the pub to let him know that you arnt a gold digger.

I was extreamly hurt by a gold digger once, she took advantage of my wallet and I was too infatuated to realise, but thats vering off on a tangent.

Let him pay for somethings, and you pay for others and treat your man once in a while, eh :)

Advertisement