Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBPost today...Eircom sweating their assets

Options
  • 24-08-2003 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

I never thought I'd find myself in agreement with the "banks" but
    even they seem to have seen through the facade at this stage

http://www.sbpost.ie/web/DocumentView/did-41391336-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper.asp

Some selective quotes:
    "Bankers are believed to have forced Eircom's hand amid concern that the company was sweating its assets to the detriment of its business going forward.

With Eircom's capital expenditure falling by 60 per cent over the last two years, there is concern that potential new revenue streams such as DSL are not b e i ng fu l ly exploited. "

"After such a dismal take-up of its existing offering, Eircom will come under enormous pressure to deliver the target of 100,000 subscribers in just 16 months and will almost certainly have to reduc e its charges. "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

From the same article...
    A spokesperson for Eircom denied that the new DSL target was linked to any bank objectives. "It is driven by Eircom's desire to see a strong take-up of broadband in Ireland," he said.

Haha..
    Must be hiring comedians now.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I hope to god that this target is real, and that some heads will roll if it is not met. Eircom really have been holding this country back, and screwing their customers into the bargain.

To meet a target like this will require a sea change in the way Eircom operate (maintainance etc), and deal with customers. It will also require a major investment - then again pigs might fly

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Phil may think that we'll be impressed,

The Business post noted that Belgium has 15% penetration but Phil is aiming at about 70,000 households in that figure of his which is 5% of Households by end 2004. There are 1.4 Million houseeholds in Ireland.

We should forget about analogies between ourselves and developed countries when it comes to Telecoms. Instead we should look at Eastern European Countries DSL Statistics who will be our direct competitors for inward investment and job creation.

As the report above shows, by the end of March 2003

Ireland had

4,200 DSL lines.

As compared to

Estonia 34,000
    Poland 26,000
    Hungary 51,500
    Latvia 10,000 (Latvia has half the population of Ireland)
    Lithuania 12,400 (so has Lithuania)

Someone should tell Phil that we scored better than

Romania 1,800

Its always nice to beat Romania Phil, your heart is in the right place dude. Nevertheless I am setting you a target for Eircom to meet.

Eircom intends to surpass Estonia , Latvia, Lithuania , Hungary , Poland , Czech Republic and Slovenia BY THE END OF 2004 .

It is not too much is it?

M

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

A spokesperson for Eircom denied that the new DSL target was linked to any bank objectives. "It is driven by Eircom's desire to see a strong take-up of broadband in Ireland," he said.[/B]

I wholeheartly believe Eircom on this and I think EVERYONE else is just against them!

Bad people bad bad people, leave poor Eircom alone...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I think that matching and beating Estonia and Latvia by the end of 2004 is an achievable and laudable target and that Phil Nolan should add it to his matrix of performance metrics.

I also believe that we will not be within an asses roar of advanced economies such as Britain, France, Germany, Belgium etc etc so why compare ourselves to them any more.

Lets do better than Eastern Europe, isn't that right Phil.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Does anyone have any idea how many households are covered by the 500,000 lines Eircom claim to have enabled already ?

As a follow on question would anyone care to hazard a guess how many exchanges will need to be enabled for Eircom to have a realistic chance of hitting their target ?

Thanks

M.

Advertisement