Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceeding 180 hours.

Options
  • 24-08-2003 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have an IOL anytime account and I'm at 170 hours with 6 days or so to go so I'm looking like going over the limit.

What happens when I do? I assume I don't get cut off?

Do they start billing me? Any idea how much? Or is this just a threat and excuse to cut of excessive users?

Anybody been billed yet?

Derek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

What have you been doing, how could you go through 170 hours, anyhoo doesnt really matter, if this is your first time going over then you prolly wont get charged,, if you continually go over they will charge you and youll start to disconnect on an alarmingly
    regular basis

Thats as i understand it but theyll be people along in awhile thatll have a more detailed explanation than I

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I'm in a similar position. Haven't used quite 170 though. Going over 180 is fairly easy, I'm in danger of doing it and this only includes one 'overnight' download session as it were.

I paid early August (around the 4/5th I think) and connected to the service on around the 7th. My hours are for the calender month of August though right? So will I get charged every month on the 4th lets say but the 180 limit relates to the 1st to the 30th/31st?

I know nothing, I was just so glad to get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by shinzon
    if this is your first time going over then you prolly wont get charged,, if you continually go over they will charge you and youll start to disconnect on an alarmingly
    regular basis
    What are you basing this claim on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

180 hours is nothing, especially if you are using it for work in addition, or have other family members using the internet as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 derek

Since I'm working from home at the moment on web design it would be quite normal for me to have the internet on from 10 in the morning or so till about 12 at night! With just a few gaps for lunch and dinner etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    What are you basing this claim on?

Basing it in what was said in the irelandoffline forum when anytime was launched, its in the consumer service forum for irelandoffline, you can dig it out somewhere, or in the net comms forum

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Basing it in what was said in the irelandoffline forum when anytime was launched, its in the consumer service forum for irelandoffline, you can dig it out somewhere, or in the net comms forum
    I think that would have just been speculation. IOL have never said anything about random disconnections if you go over the hours, they just said you'll get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Reading the stickys at the top would have told you :)
    From this thread.

Esat BT / IOL

IOL Anytime (product details)
    Products:
    IOL Anytime @ €30.00 per month - 180 hours Internet access any time, day or night
    "Business" IOL Anytime @ €54.45 per month - 260 hours Internet access any time, day or night

Outside your allowance, the costs are as follows:
    Daytime - 3.8 cents/minute
    Evening/weekend - 1.27 cents per minute

(cost details received from call to Esat CS team 10 July 2003)

FAQ not currently available on the site

yes but the question is whether they are enforcing it...

has anyone actually been billed or gotten away with it.

As far as i know, all the isps are enforcing it. Theres no leeway. They start charging at 180hours 1 second until the end of the month.

• Advertisement

What about me? I'm assuming I have to hang in there until the 1st and then my 180 gets reset? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Shin
    I think you are getting confused with eircoms adsl cap- noone has been charged yet for going over...
    jd

Originally posted by bugler
    What about me? I'm assuming I have to hang in there until the 1st and then my 180 gets reset? :)
    Id assume so bugler, but give them a quick call to check. It will be handy to know for definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

well I ran up over 200 hours on utvip last month and got charged for every second over 180

I wish they had a timer on it or something so I'd know if I was gonna exceed it. I'll probably be the same this month :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Originally posted by moshpit77
    well I ran up over 200 hours on utvip last month and got charged for every second over 180

I wish they had a timer on it or something so I'd know if I was gonna exceed it. I'll probably be the same this month :(

simple isp timer can be downloaded here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Cheers

UTV could really have included one though, it seems easy enough, they could have included it in the dialer program they provided

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Funny thing about the "ISP Timer" with IOL Anytime. I am currently an IOL Anytime user(pre nolimits). When I was initially checking out the product details on-line before I signed up there was an option on the Anytime webpage to check the "time spent online" for any given customer, a good idea but useless then as the service was not in use. However since the service has come onstream I do not seem to be able to find this option when I last checked the webpage. I'm sure the option was on the Anytime FAQ section of the Webpage.

http://anytime.iol.ie/usage

should do the trick...

Hrrm. Well I was informed today that they have two billing dates...the 8th and the 24th I believe. They says if I was charged from the 8th then my 180hrs is from the 8th to the 8th...which means a log time yet..and I only have a few left :-/

Back to my Indigo 1891 acccount for a little bit then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

does http://anytime.iol.ie/usage mean anything so. i'm signed up a month today and don't have any idea when my hours get reset

• Advertisement

Well in theory the usage pie chart should reset to normal on the morning of the new month of 180 hours. The new dawn as it were :) I'm confused too to be honest. All I know is I'm not going over, I'll go to 180 and then its back to Indigo 'til that damn pie chart goes back to 000.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Thanks derek, exactly what I was looking for. Regarding bugler's comments re billing, I for one am going to use the "Usage" figures supplied by IOL as my guidelines otherwise what's the point of them keeping such a record for customers to check out their "Net Usage".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

once u go over 180 hours they charge u by the local call rate charges it was in the Terms and Conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    does http://anytime.iol.ie/usage mean anything so. i'm signed up a month today and don't have any idea when my hours get reset

I am on it about a month as well but when I use that link and log on it says "No traffic data for _____" I used to be on SNL so I know that my next bill will probably be screwed up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    once u go over 180 hours they charge u by the local call rate charges it was in the Terms and Conditions

Are you talking about the IOL Anytime Terms and Conditions?

Oh dear. They have reset my 180 hours as of this morning. I don't know what to think, or do. Sigh.

Better call customer service just to confirm. Though I'm tempted to just use away..after all, if their usage graph says I'm under the limit..whats an inexperienced young man like me supposed to think...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

do as i do. their graph says i have 180 hours as of this morning so it is their fault if i'm still going over my limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ei4vwi

I,ve been on Anytime since late July. Initially, the pie chart worked just fine _until_ the 5th of August, when it stopped working all together!!

According to the history, my last login was on August 5th (not true), and, on September 1st, my hours were reset to 180 (as expected).

Now, I don't think I want to bring this to IOL's attention, but I have installed a timer to make sure I stay under the 180 hour limit for the month.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Also, I've found that when you hit the 300.0000000 minute limit, the server won't let you log in again for some time.. Is this a feature or a penalty for staying on for the full 5 hours? I've found the best way around is to disconnect (manually) at the 4hr 55min point and reconnect.. Another 5 hr countdown seems to start.

Ronz

Advertisement