Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of models

• 24-08-2003 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone stopped to take a look at the quality of models coming out lately?

I've just checked out the new Dragon Ogre Shaggoth and my is it breathtaking. It is the best model since i saw the lizardman Carnosaur last month.

GW are outdoing themselves every month and i just can't wait until they get working on some new eldar or tyranid models (I don't think they're quite as good as they could be, I still love my nids anyway)

The downside is that some of the characters are starting to look a little... underwhelming. Like the new Khazrak (I think thats his name? Beastman shaman) He looks puny next to that BEAST of a dragon ogre. And supposedly he could take one on if he is the leader.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I know what you mean, GW has been churning out a few really stunning models lately, but some just aren't all that impressive either. Their Legolas just doesn't look right, and Jeebus but the Chaos marines with batwings on their heads were just silly.

But the new Chaos Spawn is very nice, very nice indeed, and some of those Lizardmen pieces look the business. That Wulfen Rune Priest makes me want to sex wee...:eek:

I think, on the whole, the standard of models is going up. But then again, so are the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Thats no excuse to up their prices, then there is the fact that the prices are on a whim. Some items that are the same price in England are various prices here. Its appaling. England must join the euro for us to get a better deal. Or we could just all get jobs in Games Workshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I've noticed that too... The prices are disgusting. I Paid the best part of a tenner for superglue :rolleyes:

There's nothing special about GW superglue, or any other product except the models. Better off buying the other stuff in a nice cheap(er) newsagents. I tend to get that two part epoxy resin stuff for a lot of models, it's much more robust than superglue.

But anyway, those models, eh? Phooaaar!etc.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I think a good example of this is the Chaos Defiler... *dribble*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hooded

Don't forget the new Typhus model. I use him in legion of Damned army jus cos he's unique

You're entirely correct. In fact, I think I'll post a piccy of him just to revel in his utter scrumminess.

typhus.jpg

*Fap fap fap fap fap fap, etc. :) *

Show us teh shaggoth! heh who named it!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Twisted_Logic

I really like (almost) ALL of the plastics, they kick ass! the worst model i have ever seen is that crimson fists leader, the guy with the rod up his ass... it makes me shake my head with shame when i was forced to beat a player with that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

The quality has never been a problem for me its the cost that annoys me, they need to drop the prices a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Wyrd

how can they hand over their black hearts charge 25 quid for 10 marines while charging 30 for 5 terminators. its insane. the ten models surely cost more to produce they come in relatively similar packaging. the terminators come with less extras and they still cost the more. why is that are the desiners of terminator models really charging that much for their designs?

The prices have always reflected the value of the model in a battle, never what it cost to make.

Odd, that...

Anyway...

cwarhound1store.jpg

40K scale Chaos Warhound Titans...

*drools*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The changed how they price models a few years back. You pay for the power/level/abilities of the model rather than its cost.

Which not only is a totaly lame reasion to deceide prices but makes collecting and painting the models a very costly business.

Erm, 8 hormagaunts and 8 termagants (which i never feckin use) costs me around the same as a bleeding carnifex.

As for the titan WHOA! but still unhappy with chaos biase :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Wyrd

give me one now or i will cry i want iwantiwantiwant wahhhhhhwahhhhh :p

Ooh, it's been painted!

Lots of big piccies of the chaos titan here!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/chaostitan.htm

*fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *squirt*

THAT is bloody nice, I want it :(

And for those too lazy to find it themselves, I bring you the 2003 Golden Demon website!

Set jaws to drool.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gamesday/uk/2003/default.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭wombat

Well, in terms of simple economics the more powerful a miniature is the fewer of them there will be in an army
    The fewer there are in an army the fewer miniatures they will sell.
    The fewer minis they sell, the more mark up they have to put on the mini itself.
    From what I can gather, the lowliest gimp takes about as much time, effort and resources to sculpt as the uber special characters.

Now I could be entirely wrong, but my brief forays into wholesale prices makes me think I'm not far off the mark.

Makes sense all right, but it still doesn't explain why a box of plastic Guardsmen will set you back 25 quid.

• Advertisement

Well, injection moulding (which I assume is what they use) is only *relatively* cheap, it's still sodding expensive in its own right. Don't forget that you've got insurance on the stock in warehouses, transport, insurance (and in this country public liability insurance for a store full of kids in the same room as super glue and sharp metal objects must be astronomical) rent (again, astronomical in this country) and more insurance for fire, theft and god knows what else. Then there's the VAT of at least 21% on every single thing sold.
    You can be assured that GW central isn't going to take a hit on profits just because our government things we all earn CEO wages. Yeah they're making a profit but I doubt it's as big as you might think, a model might cost pennies to make, but that's probably the least of the expenses associated with it.

The often touted "but employees get them at cost, kilos of models for a few quid" thing doesn't pan out either, those models are priced before any additional charges are applied, this is done for insurance reasons. If you insure your stock for the actual cost - say 50p then your insurance is naturally lower than if you do it at the cost before profit but after expenses (a more realistic "cost" price) say six or so euro.

Now I could be talking crap, nay spewing ****e from my mouth by the gallon but my own experiences in wholesaling prices and taxes and insurances and leads me to believe I'm in the right ballpark.

God you had to bring logic to the forum didn't you

No logic, only Khlav Khalash!

I mean, only nice piccies.

Like this one.

newcarnifex1.gif

Originally posted by Kold
    God you had to bring logic to the forum didn't you

Don't get me wrong, it still makes me feel like I've been violated when I have to go sell a kidney just to buy a dozen models.

That said, since I don't actually play the game and just use the models for RPG combats I find reaper miniatures to be a damned sight better. Their plastic goons (rank and file) are great but the bad ass character models just cost too much - reaper are a third of the cost for something similarly cool.

Incidentally, chainmail minis - long since discontinued but they're being given away as a special gift in collector's edition copies of "Pools of Radiance - assault on myth drannor" which is being sold in HMV grafton St for a fiver a go, random miniatures in each pack I think. I got a human paladin in mine.

Was looking through my tyranid codex and was thinking away to myself.

My hive tyrant is a BEAST, with his 2+ save, strength 6, strength 7 attack at initiative 10, Venom cannon etc...

Then i looked at my hive tyrant... He certainly doesnt look like the towering titan he should be.

carnifex too, He doesnt look much bigger than the tyrant yet im to believe this thing packs more punch in his claws than a LASCANNON...

The hive tyrant is one new model I don't like all that much. It looks too similar to the Alien Queen. The old model looked really evil and authorative, whereas the new one just looks lanky and toothy...

Still, the scything talons look good...

Its a bitch to glue together too, i try to make mine lean forward like a kinda t-rex style frame, otherwise it looks to lanky

Ooh, there's a new section called "Conversion Corner" on the GW site. Nicenice.

• Advertisement

I find the new hive tyrant far easier to get to stay together than the old one, you had to pin the old one and even then it wasnt overly stable. On saying that, the new one is a bit of a lanky freak, but how can you complain about the carnifex? Id personally sh*t my innards out if I met one of them in real life.

As for packign the punch of a lascannon, you say that he doesnt look beastly enough, i think Sarky's picture looks like it could rip a tank into bite size piece's and serve them as baby food...... In 1 turn.

Advertisement