Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best GFX card for BF

Options
  • 24-08-2003 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Ok Ive been playing BF ever since the demo came out and i got it the day it came out in the states, but ive never understood wut the hell Time Given to AI means, i have a faint idea but can anyone tell me? ok and second of all i have a P4 2.6Ghz, 512DDRam but i got a ****ty GF4 MX440, i can only run around 40 bots with medium setting, im guessing its because of my card, well does anyone know wut sorta cards can handle High Graphics and 64 bots at a smooth frame rate i was looking at a GFX 5600 256MB will that take it? (im kinda skint so cards im looking at will be in the 200-350 range)

Thanks Again,

Storm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well buddy,

I am really in the same boat myself. Been looking at the €200 -> €250 cards. Though im going to Amsterdamn in a couple of weeks so no spending for a while.

For the best stuff on Graphics Cards check out the Tech board. They will help you best. Remember though, Battlefield Vietnam will be out next year and you wanna be able to support that :)

I usually play with about 20 Bots, but i only have 256mb ram which i will be upgrading asap. The more Ram you have the more bots you can run really. Pump your system full of Ram i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

afaik time given to ai is the ammount of time your cpu spendds proccessing bot movements etc.

i dont think gfx card has much to do with both numbers but it could be wrong, i use a geforce 4 ti 4800 myself and it works very well, i run bf at ver low detail tho because my comp is crappy.

getting a good geforce 4 or a radeon would help the detail but doubt it would help the bots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

nothing to do with the graphics card, i have a geforce 4 mx420 and it runs bf quite happily nps at all, the only thing you need is ram ram and more ram

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I can play with 64 Bots no problem i got 512DDRam but the Graphics settings have to be low-medium but if i get a Decent card it should be able to run it on high i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    I can play with 64 Bots no problem i got 512DDRam but the Graphics settings have to be low-medium but if i get a Decent card it should be able to run it on high i presume.

You would be correct to a degree. It may give a little jerk with 64 bots, but lower that and it should be grand with 64 player.

Just reall, to remove any lag fill your PC with Ram :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

in your config the CPU and the RAM should be sufficient (yes BF scales with memory so I agree: the more you have the faster it will run ;)).

What resolution do you play? Specially your card is very poor in higher resolutions.
    I have a xp2200, 768MB Ram, Geforce 4200.
    I play with full details, 1024x768 but without Anti-Aliasing and anisotropic-filtering enabled.

I get frames rates around 60 - 90.
    On very complicated maps (like Guadalcanal) the rate sometimes drop to 20 (with >40 bots).

I had a TFT last week for testing and the tft had a resolution 1280x1024. BF only support 1280x9??.
    My frames dropped instandly to 7 - 30.

If you want to buy a new card, check what resolution you want to play. up to 1024 a GF5600 is absolutely sufficient. If you want full details and full quality (Aliasing etc.) you have to buy a radeon 9800 or a gf5900.
    Sorry for that ;-)
    What you can do, try to get a good old gf4200 for a reasonable price. Save the rest a buy a 9800 in half a year for half the price.
    ;)

The 5600 is not very much faster than a 4200. And you really don't need directX9 at the moment.

Regards,

jow

Im not to fussed playin in any high resolution, 800x600 is fine with me but in Vice City i usually crank the Res up high anyways I was actually lookin at the card reviews and the Geforce TI 4800SE beats all of the new FX cards except the 5900 Ultra, so i may consider getting that one, in my opinion 256MB cards now are quite pointless since no software requires anymore than 64 or 128. But does anyone know where i can get a GF4 TI 4800SE or is that an American card only?

Cheers,
    Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    4800SE beats all of the new FX cards except the 5900 Ultra, so i may consider getting that one, in my opinion 256MB cards now are quite pointless since no software requires anymore than 64 or 128. But does anyone know where i can get a GF4 TI 4800SE or is that an American card only?
    [/B]
    Good luck!
    I think the 4800 was the last edition of the 4600.

Maybe you can find one in some stores.

We had a thread in an other board, and there somebody says there are no GF4-4200 available.
    Maybe you find the 4800 somewhere.

regards,

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Really, do you people never check the bargins boad? Creative have a special offer on their 4800SEs, 150 squid.

http://ie.europe.creative.com/estore/category.asp?cate=32
    Go forth and purchase.

Yea, i had found that out 2 id rather go with the TI4800 tho not the 4800SE due to it has a better frame rate and better features and for 260 it aint bad at all, but the problem is i can get a GFX 5600 256MB for that price so im stuck on which one to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Komplett.ie had a deal on a Gainward Geforce 5600 256mb last week for €160.

There is little to no difference it seems between 128mb and 256mb except that the 256mb are often slower than the 128 due to them putting slower ram on the boards.

No expert so feel free to punch holes through that but its what I learned in my travels.

I eventually picked up an MSI FX5600 with a remote control (as the pc sits beside the tv and is used for dvds etc).

Check out toms hardware (can't remember link but search for this) for a good review of several recent graphics card. General consensus is Radeon 9800 Pro (as opposed to normal one) is the best card out there at the moment. One problem (not for everyone) is no linux drivers for it.

Check komplett for reasonable prices overall.

Anyway hope thats of some help.

Advertisement