Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best RPG of all time ???

Options
  • 24-08-2003 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭

breath of fire, final fantasy, legend of dragoon ,grandia, and golden sun are just a few great rpg's but whats the best ??? and i dont mean just from this list. Any1 know a great rpg that never realy did well ??? send ur opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Que alot of dull people saying FF7.

I'd say Phantasy Star 4. It has a magnificent story, seriously high difficulty and features pretty much all the features of the modern RPG. Now RPG's just copy the format eternally and slap new graphics and story on it.

I remember when RPG's used to innovate. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

who else has actually played legend of dragoon? cus that game rocked. definetly my fav.or maybe the original brath of fire or the original final fantasy damn they're all so good!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Planescape: Torment.

Excellent storyline, wonderful character development system, and never really got the success it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by Sarky
    Planescape: Torment.

Excellent storyline, wonderful character development system, and never really got the success it deserved.

Indeed, and it has lim lim's. Fallout was great aswell, but i'm not sure if it did well when it was originally released

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I palyed Legend of Dragoon and it was just plain average. It wasn't much fun to play and was really spoiled by a dire translation.

My favourites in this order are:

Final Fantasy VII
    Grandia
    Suikoden 2
    Xenogears
    Final Fantasy VI

All positions subject to change of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ultima 7 / Planescape Torment / BG2 / Fallout 2

Its a hard choice, all have their good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Morrowind.
    The 'truest' RPG yet made in that while there was a story to follow it was completely up to you how and when you went about following the arc and you could spend (literally) months doing anything else you liked. Absoutely stunning game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Baldurs Gate 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

has anyone ever played the panzer dragoon rpg? it was for the saturn looked bril cept i never got it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Divine Divinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

On pure nostalgia - The Lords of Midnight on the C64, but it aged terribly so I'd go for either FFVII or Terranigma with Icewind Dale close behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Baldur's Gate 2 wins by a country mile.

Simply one of the best games ever.
    It has everything- music, depth, replayabilty, story.....

I used to love FF7, but compared to this it just seems childish and shallow.

Deus Ex, Planescape Torment, and Fallout come close, but BG2 is pure magnificance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Daggerfall

if mmorpg's are allowed i'd say Ultima Online though

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

Xenogears is the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Ultima 7 -The Black Gate & The Serpent Isle-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I loved FF7, Desus Ex and fallout.

I just ordered Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the xbox. does any know if its any good??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by clownboy
    I loved FF7, Desus Ex and fallout.

I just ordered Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the xbox. does any know if its any good??

'Sallright. Really more of a hack'n'slash affair than true RPG, but quite interesting. Looks gorgeous too, which is always nice. Worth your time, certainly. Two player mode is very cool...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

Gotta be ff7, followed by crono trigger, Zelda oot and BG2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Going to have to be dull and say FF7 I'm afraid... Although I fully confess that there are rose-tinted glasses going on there. I've probably enjoyed Xenosaga, Grandia, FFX and possibly even FF9 more since then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think my favorites would be:

Deus Ex
    Planescape: Torment
    Finaly Fantasy VII
    Baldur's Gate
    Gothic/Gothic 2

And I hope for something as grand and engrossing as those games will come out soon.

But as someone suggested Morrowing, I personally disagree. It was very much quantity over quality, and style over content. I'm sorry to the fans, but I felt it was. I found that the makers were too busy putting in 50 too many little towns, and didn't focus enough on the main cities of the game, didn't flesh them out or give them enough character. It just got immensly boring after a while, and the side quests were as dull as hell. If the game had been a quarter the size, and more attention payed to making it a better scripted and more immersive world, maybe a more intersting combat system than the 'Clickedy Clickedy Click' that really makes the game repetative, then it probably would've been a far, far better experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

It has to be a toss up between Baldur's Gate 2 and Ultima 7: The Black gate. I'll never get enjoyment out of games like I did with those :(.

I bought Ultima collection ages ago but I can't get U7 to work for the life of me. Its feckin annoying because its sitting there(expansion packs 'n' all!) and I can't play it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hmm, but at the same time you're asking for more quantity in the cities themselves, just less of them as in other games, concentration rather than content improvement. I liked the lack of scripting, it was the game's strength to me. I Love more linear games like Baldur's and Neverwinter nights etc. but the freedom in Morrowind was the clincher for me. As for the combat system, no it wasn't perfect but again preferable to the point, click and wait to see what happens version used in most others, your stats played a part but so did your own reflexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Originally posted by RockViper

I bought Ultima collection ages ago but I can't get U7 to work for the life of me. Its feckin annoying because its sitting there(expansion packs 'n' all!) and I can't play it!

How come? always ran fine for me, altho It used to run way to fast. Just in case u dont know there is a prog called moslo to bring it back to the origional speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

the secret of mana.

****ing brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Suikoden (1+2)
    FF7
    Baldors Gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

Originally posted by nadir
    How come? always ran fine for me, altho It used to run way to fast. Just in case u dont know there is a prog called moslo to bring it back to the origional speed.

Only 1, 6 and Akalabeth run for me. Its something to do with windows and DOS, most dont run if you have windows installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,816 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time.
    Not only the best RPG game of all time but arguably the greatest game of all time.
    Just played it again last week.
    Its perfection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They didn't get much mention in this thread or even in my top 5 but I find console style turn based strategy RPGs totally life absorbing. Maybe it's due to Shining Force 2 being my first RPG.

Currently I'm playing the second story of Front Mission 3. It's a great game and well worth getting especially if you like the Shining Force games and it has a huge lifespan with over 150 missions split between two stories and multiple paths. Other games of note in this genre are Shining Force 1+2 (of course), Vandal Hearts (1+2), Front Mission 1+2 and the bastid hard Final Fantasy Tactics. After I beat Xenosaga I'm going to devote a large chunk of my life to finish FFT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

zelda : a link to the past, for me.

never really liked the whole turned based fights in final fantasy.

Advertisement