Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best RPG of all time ???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Naar

Wasteland, if you can ignore the pig-ugly graphics and concentrate on how badass it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Crunch

certainly Daggerfall and Morrowind. And for the record, I don't consider games like Diablo RPGs at all.

Would think Deus Ex and Gothic 2 are good as well, but I only ever saw reviews and screenies, never played 'em
    ww)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

shenmue on dc. best i ever played anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Crunch
    Would think Deus Ex and Gothic 2 are good as well, but I only ever saw reviews and screenies, never played 'em
    ww)

Deus Ex is one of the greatest games ever made, on any platform, or any time. It's as ahead of its time now as Syndicate was back in the day. You can probably pick it up for a tenner or so anywhere. Well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Man eating cow

Zelda on the Nes was the game that made me pick up a controller in the first place. Legend Stuff....

but final fantasy 7 is one of my fav games of all time... excellent story.

anyone agree? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Too hard to pick one :)

- Deus Ex definitely had a lot going for it
    - FF3 / Chrono Trigger were great when i played them (high school)
    - Ocarina of Time was great too
    - Baldur's Gate .. except that it was kinda hard to play a magic user early on with 2ed rules which leads us to ..
    - Neverwinter Nights! Very good storyline and gameplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Baldurs Gate two is an unbelievable experience-it has everything in massive spades.Buy it now with the expansion pack if you can.Totally engrossed me like no other rpg ever has and I imagine never will.Also Deus Ex of course rocks a lot,I did enjoy ffx quite a bit.but for me BG2 is unsurpassable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Chrono Trigger. Has to be Chrono Trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It has to be doesn.t it?

Is Pokémon an RPG? if so the first two were great

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd call them RPGs. Great games despite what you think of the pokemon name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Zelda 2 on the nes, it set the standard for years to follow.

all the zelda games, and also faxanadu on the nes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭dNC | Tickle

OBVIOUSLY the best of the rpg's was Legend of the mir! you couldnt get any better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Are we as stupid as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Hey RockViper,

<sorry to be of topic - but here's some help on that>

You can get Ultima VII working again! Go to Exult's website at http://exult.sourceforge.net/

All you need are the original disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Oh yes, forgot to mention... Ultima VII I thought was one hell of an RPG. My favourite one really with a great story!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Has to be the Shining Force series, 1 & 2 in particular. I also have fond memories of playing Defenders of Oasis on the Sega GameGear. Great Story. I bought Baldurs Gate 2 about 6 months ago, but have never played more that 30 mins. I don't know what is wrong, but I don't seem to click with it. I must also admit to loving FFVII and FFIX, I hated 8 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by Count666
    I bought Baldurs Gate 2 about 6 months ago, but have never played more that 30 mins. I don't know what is wrong, but I don't seem to click with it.

once you get out of the dungeon at the start and meet up with some of the npc's it's a really good game, and it's funny as hell in bits, i prefer fallout and torment though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

Originally posted by hamster
    Hey RockViper,

<sorry to be of topic - but here's some help on that>

You can get Ultima VII working again! Go to Exult's website at http://exult.sourceforge.net/

All you need are the original disks.

Cheers for that hamster! Got it working, yay! Oh yes it feels great to be playing this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

what is the best "top-Down" RPG for the pc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bit of a toss up between the Baldur's Gate trilogy or Planescape:Torment.

Baldur's Gate is simply Massive, and has more options for characters, but Planescape is really, really cool. The story is definately one of the best out there, It still looks rather pretty, your character is very versatile (although there aren't as many class options as BG) and some parts are really, really funny. :D

If Naar is who I think he is, he'll happly back me up with plenty of quotes from the funnier bits...

Fallout 2 had potential, but IMO it just didn't take itself seriously enough, particularly towards the end. (Having a randome encounter with a sperm whale and flowerpot, the tin man, the Knights of the round table and THE BRIDGE OF DEATH is funny and all, but they seemed so out of place to me...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

Originally posted by Sarky
    Bit of a toss up between the Baldur's Gate trilogy or Planescape:Torment.

Umm Baldur's Gate trilogy? Did i miss something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Whoops.

I was including Throne Of Bhall there.

Technically a trilogy because TOB continues and finishes the story(with a shedload of epic character fighting!) but it's really a sort of add-on to BG2.

Nyeh. Whatever. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

ShenMue!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Grandia and Grandia II are two of my favourite RPGs, both great games. Paper Mario on the N64 is also excellent. People who missed out on this one should try it next year when it is released for the Gamecube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Naar

My memory has exploded, so this is the only Torment quote I can remember (read: could find).

Morte: "Psst. Hey Nordom. Calculate the easiest way for me to 'snuggle with Annah's pillows,' okay?"
    Nordom: "Annah! Morte wants to 'snuggle with your pillows.'"
    Morte: "Shut up! Shut up!!"
    Annah: "Oh, I'll give yeh somethin' to snuggle up to! Eejit!"

Seriously, though. Go play Wasteland. Plus, since it's abandonware now, you don't have to pay anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Isometric RPGs never succeed in sucking me in so my predictable choices are

Deus Ex
    System Shock 2
    Anachronox
    Anachronox was great fun - I'm probably the only person who ever played the dang thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to agree with f®eak_s©enery. I loved Grandia 1+2. Not the greatest stories in an RPG, but it had no random battles, a fun combat system and some of the best character designs and personalities of any game I've played. You just fall in love with them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I never managed to get out of the first room in planescape Torment and thus gave up on it
    Baldurs Gate 2 a great game its just a game of epic porportions and highly addictive
    i also really enjoyed Morrowind and Tribunal and Bloodmoon
    i really love the series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by musician

Anachronox was great fun - I'm probably the only person who ever played the dang thing.

i had it but lost it when i moved house, gonna have to pick it up on budget somewhere
    Originally posted by vasch_ro
    I never managed to get out of the first room in planescape Torment and thus gave up on it

how dare you give up on it?

Advertisement