Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best RPG of all time ???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

was a bit wimpy really maybe I will give it another shot!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Naar

I both played and enjoyed Anachronox. Did you get the unofficial patch that came out relatively recently?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

No but I spotted something even more interesting. One of the guys that worked on Anachronox edited the cut scenes together to make a movie:-

http://www.machinima.com/displayarticle2.php?article=322

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by vasch_ro
    was a bit wimpy really maybe I will give it another shot!:)

Do, it's well worth playing to the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Ahh, somebody mentioned Front Mission 2, that brings back memories. Have no idea why that grabbed me so much but it did, spent many hours on that one.

My favourite would be a toss-up between FF VII and Morrowind.

For me, if an RPG doesn't grab me in the first few hours, I just drop it. Somehow...that happened for me with BG2. I think it may have something to do with a bad experience I had with the original BG, namely getting to Baldur's Gate itself only to have my saves deleted! Grr...

Currently playing Chrono Trigger, which has definitetly got me addicted...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Final Fantasy VII for all the obvious reasons.

Suikoden 2 was fantastic, really hooked me in to a brilliant plot.

Starwars: KOTOR, very reminiscent of Planescape: Torment but less heavy on the reams of text and mythology that I just didn't have the patience for in that game. Great story, great twist, the most 'role playing' I can think of in an RPG.

Little Big Adventure. Just because it's so different :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Could have just started a new thread...

Anyway FF VII but I've just restarted Morrowind after years of leave from it. And I'm somewhat hooked on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 The Truth!

My favourite rpgs are all from de snes, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and FFVI.

I also love FFVII cause its the first rpg i got for my ps1 and still find it better than most rpgs that come out today. And im amongst the few that liked FFVIII ! :D

Shenmue 1 and 2 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In general, I'm not a big RPG fan. Zelda is usually about as close as I get.
    So... my favourites would be:
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (I'll have NO comments about this... I just *love* this game!) and Ocarina of Time.
    Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
    Mario and Luigi: SuperStar Saga - hilarious! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Sarky wrote:
    Planescape: Torment.

Excellent storyline, wonderful character development system, and never really got the success it deserved.

Yes I agree Planescape Tourment is the best offline RPG ever, and Everquest is the best (in its day) online RPG, followed by WoW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

yea pokemon is more rpg than zelda is anyway.

If we are including Zelda games then id have to say everyone after the NES days.

FFVI
    FFVII
    Tales of phantasia
    Tales of symphonia
    skies of arcadia
    mario and luigi superstar saga

other notabke mentions are

FFX
    Jade empire
    KOTOR
    paper mario

i never really played any of the snes rpgs so i cant really say but ive heard it from many that chrono trigger is one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Chrono Trigger and Secrets of Mana were probably the best on the SNES.

But my vote overall would be for Baldurs Gate 2.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

err... KOTOR.

And how the hell do people manage to bring up these old threads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Gotta say Baldur's Gate 2 + Expansion.

That is going with my logic that the Legend of Zelda games aren't strictly RPG's in my book, more action adventures if you will. Otherwise it'd be Ocarina of Time.

Kinda forgot about FF7 although it's still not my fav. The cruddy translation in the PS version put me off when i started playing it. Nearly stopped at the 'This guy are sick' bit cause i figured it was going to be a complete trainwreck of a game when i saw that nonsense on screen. Stuck with it though and it became one of my all time favourites. No my favourite though. As outlined previously.

Was the translation any better in the PC version, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Ff7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

FF VII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana 1 & 2 (snes), Skies of Arcadia & Tales of Symphonia would be my top RPG's

Skies is the "sleeper hit" of the RPG world imo, such a brilliant brilliant game! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was the translation any better in the PC version, out of curiosity?

Just as dreadful with added awful midi soundtrack and the ommission of one winged angel from the soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

D&D
    *removes hat of nerdiness

seriously though,

I'm kinda limited in what i choose cause i haven't played lots of these but the best i would have played is zelda oot. lttp and ff7 are good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

I'd say

FF7
    KOTOR
    Morrowind
    Secret of Mana
    KOTOR2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Just as dreadful with added awful midi soundtrack and the ommission of one winged angel from the soundtrack

yup, i didnt have a PS so i got the PC one and was very annoyed when i noticed that they had taken out the proper one winged angel and that the translation still stunk
    only good thing about the PC one is that u could have fun with it by getting trainers and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Sarky wrote:
    Planescape: Torment.

Excellent storyline, wonderful character development system, and never really got the success it deserved.

Hands down, no question. I re-played it again about 3 months ago and I would STILL say its the best. That's REALLY saying something, considering the game is what, 7 years old maybe?

I's say Fallout 1 & 2 next, if only for the nice squishy sound that accompanied the gore when you killed dudes with miniguns. Delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Might & Magic 6 & 7 :D

These games kept me hooked right till the end, however the ending in 7 is quite unrealistic and crap but the rest of the game was brilliant. Now where is my Power staff of Doom +15 to intellect.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Landstalker.

Head and sholders above the competition when it comes to dialogue and characterisation. Sublime puzzles and rock hard platforming round off a flawless package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'd have to say Dungeon Master on ST/Amiga. At the time, was an amazing game and kept me entertained for months on end. I stress "at the time" though, cos I'm sure if one were to play it now you'd be like "er, is this it ?"

TC

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

baldurs gate series,a few FF's but the winner is morrowind and it's expansions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I agree morrowind and its mods, I just love that game , the graphics at the time were very good and still are , the story, the freeform nature, the interaction just really enjoyed it all

Advertisement