Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE cable convertor?

Options
  • 24-08-2003 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭

I have a hard drive that is connected to an IDE cable with no other spare connection for another drive.
    The hard drive in question cannot be removed from this cable (it's a long story).
    I want to have two hard drives on my PC so I was wondering if it is possible to do the following:
    1. Get an IDE cable that takes two hard drives and connect one hard drive in the normal way.
    2.Then take the cable and hard drive I mentioned at the start and connect this to the vacant connection on the IDE cable in step 1.
    I know that I need a convertor of some kind that will fit into the female part of the IDE cable and change it to a male connection.
    I hope you know what the hell I am talking about, as I know it sounds weird.
    I know you can get a USB/IDE convertor but they cost too much so don't suggest that, please.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

So you basically want to join 2 IDE cables together? I think I remember seeing something to do that but I don't know where....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

You could get a set of these, take off the black plastic (I'm assuming you'll be able to slide the pins out of it...) and stick the pins into one end of the ide cable, then try to fit the other cable onto those pins.

You'd have to tape it up and do strange things with it to keep it together, but it might work. Duct tape is your friend. [1]

I dunno. It's not the best solution, but it's about all I can think of, other than dumping that cable and HDD :)

[1] This stuff, I think...

Advertisement