Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out in Galway

• 24-08-2003 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I plan on taking my folks out for a meal next Friday night as a surprise. They love spicy food, so it is definately going to be of the Chineese, Indian, Thai variety. Now the obvious choice would have been Thai Garden near the Spanish Arch, but it's a bit late to be making reservations for that place, so on that note where else would you recommend?

I have my eye on that new Chineese restauraunt on Forster St., "Golden Roof" I think it's called. I've heard great things.

Anyone eaten in Kashmir?

Money isn't an issue, because it's not that often I treat them, so somewhere decent is definately in order.

advTHANKSance ;)

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

What about Tulsi? (anyone tried there).

I remember being in there years ago, but can't for the life of me remember what the food was like.

feedback appreciated :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right you should try to get the Thai Garden as it is one of the best places in Galway to eat when it comes to Hot and Spicey foods. It is a bit late but give it a try any way...

I have heard mixed reports on the golden roof and I have heard more of "its ok" and "its not worth it" than any good reviews. TBH I have yet to eat in a really good Chineese resturant in Galway (I have had better Chineese Take aways in London). The place above Hynes shoe shop used to be ok but the last time I went the menu had gone to crap in terms of both wine and food. On top of that the quailty seemed to dropped as well.

In terms of Indian resturants Tulsi gets my top vote and I have never been dissappointed coming out of there and I have eaten many times in there. Other options are Eastern Tandoori across from the Thai Garden. I have been there a few times and only once (long long ago) was I a bit dissappointed but nothing major or that would put me off going there again. Kashmir is good but its been a while since I have eaten there for an evening meal but there all you can eat lunch used to be great value..

Cheers ;)

Right I have to make reservations asap, but at this stage I think I can rule out Thai Garden, though I love that place myself. Tis a bit late, and it's been done before. Tulsi on the otherhand, I have heard nothing but good from many sources, and it would be somewhere new to bring my folks.

Actually somewhere new is definately a good thing, because I want to surprise my parents, and I won't pull this off if it's to the same 'ol places. ;)

;-phobos-)

Originally posted by phobos

Actually somewhere new is definately a good thing, because I want to surprise my parents, and I won't pull this off if it's to the same 'ol places. ;)

Sounds like you have a motive behind this dinner... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,259 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

lo Sleepy,

Try Terry's in Brennan's Yard... They do some great japanese. At least they used to... haven't been there in a while...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I'm not by any means an expert on Indian food, but I've dined with friends on a couple of occasions in Tulsi and never been disappointed. Good food, decent enough wine list, beer if you like it, all at the right price - I'll certainly be going back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

As a man who has eaten in every Indian and Chinese in Galway:

Tulsi & Eastern Tandouri.

To be honest, there is little between them as regards quality of food. On a good day, Tulsi would shade it, but not by much. I think the Eastern Tandouri is a nicer place to eat, it feels cosier and more inviting, and the service is second to none. It's also a little cheaper than Tulsi, but only a little. Either would be fine.

(Incidently, Eastern Tandouri do the best take away in Galway).

If you do go to the Eastern Tandouri, try the Eastern Delight starter, it's a bit of everything, makes me hungry just to think about it. :)

If in Tulsi, try the trusted Tikka Massala - their take on it is out of this world.

Kashmir (both of them). Nice, but costly, and small portions. The one opposite the court house had a legendary all you can eat buffet during lunch hours (12 to 3). I'm not sure if they still do that.

As regards Chinese, DaTang Noodle house (just down from the rear entrance to the King's Head), is probably your best bet. Proper ethnic Chinese cooking, with no MSG in sight. Mind you, it has gone down hill a bit in the last few years, and the prices have gone the other way, but it's still nice. (Spicy Mushroom Soup starter is the best I've ever had).

Much appreciated lads ;)

good ta see ya on boards.ie SCT

;-phobos-)

I have eaten loads of different noodle dishes in loads of places and tbh DaTang did come near the mark when I have been there (this was a fair time ago). I would say it was over priced, the service was crap and the food was nothing special. Not exactly a place I would bring my parents when trying to butter them up for something (that is the exersice here isn't phobos ;)).

Actually has anyone tried Lemon grass yet? I am guessing it is a cheap and cheerful Thai place but whats the grub like? I have the hankering for some Tam Yam Gai (sp) for my lunch :ninja:

Originally posted by kayos
    when trying to butter them up for something (that is the exersice here isn't phobos ;)).
    Jesus man, you think you have it all sussed ;)

If you must know my mother got married recently and we're pretty much still in celebration mode.

But cheers to all for the pointers :)

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement

Ahh cool stuff man, hope it all goes well for her.

You know I was only pulling the piss about buttering her up for something. That doesn't work when we get to our age :)

Originally posted by kayos
    Ahh cool stuff man, hope it all goes well for her.
    As do we all.

Take it easy ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Hows about a boards indian night out :)

That actually sounds like a plan. However since we'd have time plan this, I'd recommend Thai Garden.

Anyway I've reserved a table in Tulsi, so I'll let ye know what I think afterwards.

;-phobos-)

Right well, I went to Tulsi earlier this evening, and thought it was fantastic (as did everyone else). I will definately be going back. Myself and a few mates are planning on heading there in the coming weeks.

The service was excellent, but the food was better. The only thing that I was surprised over, was the fact that vindaloo (a popular indian dish) wasn't on the menu. However it does state on the back of the menu that if there is something you would like that's not on their menu, they will do their best to cater for you.

Also it wasn't expensive.

So in conclusion, it's one of the better restaurants I've tried in Galway, and I will be going back.

nice one ;)

;-phobos-)

They do try to cater for you if something you want is not on the menu alright. I used ask for a certain type of nan all the time and they would make it. Then last time I was there is was then on the menu ;).

Gald you and the rest of your party enjoyed...

Advertisement