Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham sack Roeder

• 24-08-2003 4:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Glenn Roeder has been given the sack with immediate effect by West Ham. Trevor Brooking will take over as caretaker boss.

See here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Glenn Roeder been sacked by West Ham after what 3/4 games??
    I know he has been there last season when they went down but surely he needs time to rebuild a squad having lost; Cole, Kanoute, Sinclar, DiCanio etc.

Possible replacements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

saw it flash up on the screen during the Arsenal game
    Originally posted by johnor
    Glenn Roeder been sacked by West Ham after what 3/4 games??
    I know he has been there last season when they went down but surely he needs time to rebuild a squad having lost; Cole, Kanoute, Sinclar, DiCanio etc.

he is useless and most people know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I Wonder does this have anything to do with his statement saying he would resign if Defoe was sold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

I Wonder does this have anything to do with his statement saying he would resign if Defoe was sold?

Damn good thinking...maybe...maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roeder can only have returned to the job for the sake of pride esp as Brooking proved himself a better manager in the 3 games he had in charge. The West Ham board should have told him to "take it easy" and retire him...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by Mike
    The West Ham board should have told him to "take it easy" and retire him...

I'd have to agree with you there Mike ... talk about a raw deal, with him nearly dying last year!!

The board can't blame him for the downturn in West Ham's fortunes ... except for the fact that he wouldn't play DiCanio ... it was them that sold all the best players!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Whatever the board's reason is for sacking Roeder, from the outside it looks like they waited til he recovered fully from his illness then told him to feck off basically. Iain "Am I really that Ugly" Dowie is favourite for the job. God help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its thier bad luck the Brookie has said he never wants to be involved with full time mangement, maybe they could talk him round....250,000 a year to get them back up!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Originally posted by johnor

Possible replacements?

Being mentioned so far:

1. Iain Dowie
    2. Bryan "robbo" Robson
    3. Roy Evans
    4. Walter Smith
    5. Sir Trevor of Brooking
    6. Joe Kinnear
    7. George Graham
    8. Gianluca Vialli
    9. Stuart Pearce
    10. Nigella Clough
    11. Tony Carr
    12. Ronnie Moore
    13. Roger Cross
    14. Steve Cotterill
    15. John Gregory
    16. Howard Wilkinson (TDMA)

What a thoroughly uninspiring list... I hope to god it's not Dowie (the current favourite). They board screwed up last time by appointing an inexperienced manager...lets NOT do that again. Dowie has made a name for himself but he is not ready yet.
    We badly need someone with experience to kick the bunch of wasters in the team into shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Managing west ham over the last few years seems to be a thankless health hazard of a job. Roeder is better off out of there, he's a **** manager but to allow him to come back in the first place from a major ailment and then sack him straight away is just treating him like ****.

With the number of players who have left I would expect any manager to struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

what about El Tel ? He doesnt have a job does he ?

I personally would liek to leave brookie in there but I here he doesnt want the job

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Heard somewhere that the West Ham team refused to change in the Rotherham dressing room because it wasn't up to scratch.
    Roeder allowed them to change in the Hotel.
    This was probably the last straw after Angry Ant and DiCanio criticising him in public.
    I think they'll probably go for a disciplinarinian type of manager like George Graham, Joe Kinnear or Howard Wilkinson.
    The only problem with these managers is that they don't play the type of football that West Ham fans want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Originally posted by colster
    Heard somewhere that the West Ham team refused to change in the Rotherham dressing room because it wasn't up to scratch.
    Roeder allowed them to change in the Hotel.
    This was probably the last straw after Angry Ant and DiCanio criticising him in public.

That was the most rediculous thing I have heard in a long time. Roeder should have blasted the players who objected like this and told them it's their own bloody fault that they have to use facilities like that and if they want to get back to the luxury of the premiership they better start performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Originally posted by Ludo
    That was the most rediculous thing I have heard in a long time. Roeder should have blasted the players who objected like this and told them it's their own bloody fault that they have to use facilities like that and if they want to get back to the luxury of the premiership they better start performing.

I couldn't agree more Ludo.
    I've heard conflicting stories about this. One has it that it was Roeder himself who didn't like the facilities and another has it that it was the players.
    Either way it was a disgrace and an insult to their opponents and their own travelling fans who probably had to put up with lesser standards in the stadium.
    The sooner they get rid of the big time Charlie mentality the quicker they'll get back to the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Jermaine Defoe had an arguement in the hotel before hand because they weren't serving frosties.

Advertisement