Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry - Tyrone

• 24-08-2003 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

So there we go. Football, it seems, is not what you do in Croke Park. Next year, the GAA is considering bringing in councellors for Tyrone's team so that when they lose a challange, they can have psychological councelling while they lie on the ground and cry.
    Fecks sake.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

All Ulster final now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

pld Tyrone.
    didn't expect that much of a whitewash over Kerry but thems the breaks.

Great to see the Laois minors get back into a A-I final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

pld Tyrone.
    Played?
    When?
    Tyrone might have won the match, but they bloody well didn't do it by playing football. Playing up, more like.
    And as to roscommon refs...
    Well, how many players need to kick you in the ribs while you're on the ground before you get a penalty awarded? And then he gives Tyrone the free?
    ****s sake.
    I mean, if you mangle your knee or your ankle and stay down, fair enough. But when you fall over by tripping when you stick your boot in Dara O'Cinneide's earhole, it's a bit silly to stay down so long that he gets up first. And as for Peter Canavan :mad: - take that ****e back to the soccer field please ladies. This here's a man's game. It's called football. Go look it up.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Sparks
    Played?
    When?
    Tyrone might have won the match, but they bloody well didn't do it by playing football. Playing up, more like.
    And as to roscommon refs...
    Well, how many players need to kick you in the ribs while you're on the ground before you get a penalty awarded? And then he gives Tyrone the free?
    ****s sake.
    I mean, if you mangle your knee or your ankle and stay down, fair enough. But when you fall over by tripping when you stick your boot in Dara O'Cinneide's earhole, it's a bit silly to stay down so long that he gets up first. And as for Peter Canavan :mad: - take that ****e back to the soccer field please ladies. This here's a man's game. It's called football. Go look it up.
    I take it that you are from Kerry? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

sparks, Im a Kerry fan, I backed kerry to hammer Tyrone but you have to hand it to them. They walloped Kerry. Tyrone were better and that is that ...Its going to be a Tyrone Donegal final and I have no idea who will win but I know one thing for sure...Tyrone are there because they deserve to be there.

Pld Tyrone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

As Michéal said on Radio 1 this morning, it's the team who has the majority of the posession of the ball that decides how the game is to be played, and Tyrone were definately the better team on the day.

Plus the fact that I'm from Cork made the match yesterday even more enjoyable :D

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    My condolences.

If there is every any thing I can do to help you out...just PM me.

heh :)
    watching Kerry lose yesterday was all the therapy I needed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I was actually quite happy to see Canavan going off injured after trying to get the Kerry back sent off (and he waited less than 4 mins to do it, which was decent of him!). It's no wonder people go out on a field to seriously injure another!

The referee was atrocious. Why he didn't go near his umpires with the Canavan incident (cause he obviously didn't see it!) or why he didn't give that penalty is beyond me.

Anyone any opinions on what was wrong with Kerry? Surely they can't be that bad!

Anyways, well done tyrone.

• Advertisement

I was in Kerry recently and all they could talk about is playing Armagh in the final..I guess someone forgot to tell them that Tyrone can play a bit too.

I guess someone forgot to tell them that Tyrone can play a bit too.
    They can? When are they planning on doing so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnpaul

Well, Well, well ......

How does it feel (Sparks) and all you doubters now that Tyrone have all but struck back at the critism of not being a complete team and that Ulster football is in a bad way.

Most people had already written off their chances against the Real Madrid of GAA.

People are saying that Tyrone ruined the game by being very defensive when in fact it would have to be the fact that it took Kerry 25minutes to get their 1st point -
    not for tyrone being defensive but for the fact that the kerry forwards were brutal - They could not have scored in a whorehouse with a fistfull of Euro's. I mean 2 points in the 1st half - thats kids football not county level.

Oh yeah!!! one of my favourite comments so far was that the Final is gonna be a poor boring game just like all ulster games are .........I cannot see how ulster is boring - Best league at the minute. There are so many teams even at the start of the year that could realistivcally win SAM. Unlike most other provinces when its more than likely the usual suspects that carry the flame for their province each year. They become predictable - NOW that's BORING..................................................................................

Fact is that Ulster games are the most competitive and hard fought games within the GAA.

Pat Spilane (u Fe**er) - Humbled twice in two years by the Northies.
    U are a bitter bitter man.

Oh!! I can see why u say that Ulstar football is in a bad way..........................????? (Sarchasm)
    Facts say that All ireland Champs = Armagh and that All the teams left in the Championship are from Ulster. Also League champions two years running = Tyrone.
    I can see your point now......................................................NOT!!

Pat and all you other Ulster Football Criticisers - I think its about time that you build a Bridge........................................................ and......................
    GET OVER IT !!!!!! :D

As I have said before - Ulster is and has been the dominant football province for some time now.

SAM is staying in the north for a while yet lads.

Bring on the Final.

Save the best to Last is how the saying goes.

Being a Tyrone man at the minute is great:D - That might change but at least for the moment it feels good. :D:D:D:D:D:D

How does it feel (Sparks) and all you doubters now that Tyrone have all but struck back at the critism of not being a complete team and that Ulster football is in a bad way.
    I'd say we feel vindicated. Tyrone weren't playing football. And even the highpoints where they tried to play football showed them to be a second-rate team at best.
    Fact is that Ulster games are the most competitive and hard fought games within the GAA.
    No, the fact is that Ulster games are the most gurrier-ridden examples of how not to play football.
    Being a Tyrone man at the minute is great
    Better you than me. Had Kerry played Tyrone's game on sunday, I'd have turned the TV off and not watched football again. It's football, not soccer lads. Get off the ground with your whinging and play on, like Cooper and Russel and O'Se and O'Cinneide were doing. And leave the Vinny "professional foul" Jones routine for the soccer field.

You can see where football's going, can't you? Next time someone meets Tyrone, the ref throws in the ball and five members of the opposing team immediately assault the men they're marking while they're distracted watching the ball, and break their ankles or knees, or just punch or headbutt them in the face. All five get sent off, five subs come on and then you play on. Yeah, that's football, isn't it. :rolleyes:

Oh come on sparks, its not all as bad as that

Did you even watch the game or are you listening to the
    disgruntled rumblings of other Kerry fans

Tyrone were better than kerry on the day.

sure they were dirty at times and actors at other times but that can never. never be an excuse to loose a game,

People of Ulster football might say the same of dublin in '95 but the fact is

Dublin were better, stronger and smarter then and tryone were the very same last sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

well done Tyrone.
    they outplayed and outworked Kerry in every part of the pitch.
    Tyrone wanted it more and took it.

the backdoor system is showing how competitive Ulster football really is. :)

Up Donegal!

Oh come on sparks, its not all as bad as that
    It certainly was!
    Did you even watch the game or are you listening to the
    disgruntled rumblings of other Kerry fans
    Watched it.
    Tyrone were better than kerry on the day.
    At what they were doing, yes. At football, no.
    sure they were dirty at times and actors at other times but that can never. never be an excuse to loose a game,
    They weren't dirty or actors "at times", they were dirty actors all the time.
    First time I've been glad to have been on the losing side in my life. If Tyrone football is what you have to do to win a GAA match, I'm just not going to bother with following football anymore. It's just not worth it. I can watch soccer or rugby or boxing for that kind of ****e.

What was your excuse last year?? And the year before?? Especially the meath match.

Personally I think it's time that Kerry got a new Manager. As great and all as Páidí is, he's been there for 10 years, ye need fresh blood.

Kerry went into croker expecting to win, which is always a bad thing

There was something seriously wrong with the team for it to take 24 mins for Kerry to score. regardless of the type of play of the other team.

They were asleep for the first half and by the time they woke up Tyrone had decided on how the game was going to be played.

You win some you lose some, get over it.
    Find yerselves a new manager and prepare for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Morgans

my tuppence worth, and I am a kerry supporter

Tyrone did want it more, and I have never seen kerry handle a ball so poorly. They didnt deserve to win that game.

However, I would never support a Kerry team that played the way Tyrone did on Sunday. I wouldnt want a Kerry name on the trophy if they played that way. Kerry win through skill.

Those who play against them know this. Armagh did very well to win last years all-ireland in that they came from behind and harried every kerry player off the pitch. This is in contrast to the display that tyrone put up last sunday. Fair play, tehy went tow points up (quickly) but from then on, teh "gamesmanship" and cynicism was the worst ive ever seen on croke park.

Not only did Canavan take a dive, why were this hero to strong ulster men, go off, put on a enough bandage for a mummy, get injured a couple of minutes later, take off the bandage for there to be no blood, scar, graze nothing.

So go a couple of points up - only 4 up with ten minutes to go lets not forget. Our new tactic, anytime a kerry player gets the ball, we foul him, crowd him, in fact we will use a pack of eight to roam the field to find the ball. Kerry get the free kick, everyone bar two gets into our own 45, kerry pass the ball, we foul him, crowd him, in fact we will use a pack of eight to roam the field to find the ball. etc.

The blanket defence is one thing, that is a legitamite tactic. However the tyrone must be sponsoring deep heat. For after winning the ball, any of these big strong tryone men, run for a couple of steps, hop teh ball one, run in front of a chasing kerryman, fall as if tripped, get a free kick, stay down on hte ground for 90 seconds. Were getting closer lads. Dooher had both legs seen to, as well as his back and his ribs. This tactic is a loophole in the rules and only those teams who are not confident in their own ability use it to waste time. Again, i wouldnt support a kerry team winning a match this way.

I think its down to an inferiority complex that the ulster teams have against the free staters. They have been beaten at football for long enough over the years from not holding onto a lead. Armagh twice recently, monaghan years ago, i remember. That they have decided not to play football, well, its a new brand of football. Tyrone no doubt have talented players, very possibly more talented than Kerry. but they dont have the guts to take them on at football.

There style of play might win them all-ireland after all-ireland, and many in their counties will be satisfied with that, but to me if any of the traditional counties start playing that way, it is leading to teh detriment of teh game, on every level, from skills, through attendences, and eventaully sponsorships.

The golden era of football in my lifetime so far was when Galway, meath, Kerry, Kildare, and even Dublin were winning their games with a style and panache that was beautiful to watch. So, the performances like Sundays kill that tactic, (it shouldnt always be the most skillful team that wins) and many will be encouraged to fight fire with fire and where skill isnt only an additional extra to being able to bump into men for 70 mins.

Again, for who think that this is sour grapes, can i just say that the defeat for kerry on sunday was nothing to that against meath two years ago. Then, it was a desparate performance by kerry, and meath deserved to win by more. kerry play lovely football when on song, when they arent on song, they are a sfot touch, and need to examine themselves before they ever think of winning. IF they decide to play liek tyrone on Sunday, i will never go to another game, no matter how many titles they might win.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by flyz
    What was your excuse last year?? And the year before?? Especially the meath match.
    There was no excuse. We were beaten. But last year, and the year before, and especially by meath, we were beaten at football. On sunday, we were beaten by hooliganism.

If you get beaten at football, you pick yourself up, learn your mistakes and train harder. If you're beaten at hooliganism, you pick yourself up, get a stick and go beat the ****e out of the hooligan.

See why I think Sunday's game was a disgrace to football?
    Personally I think it's time that Kerry got a new Manager. As great and all as Páidí is, he's been there for 10 years, ye need fresh blood.
    Well Paidi was planning on leaving the year of the meath match anyway, but they kept him on so he wouldn't go out on so low a note. In retrospect, it would have been a kindness to have let him go like he wanted to - he wouldn't have had to watch Tyrone make a mockery of the game he loves, at least not as manager.
    Kerry went into croker expecting to win, which is always a bad thing
    Actually, they went in expecting (as most of the country did) the best game of the season with two of the most aggressive football teams out there. Instead, they found themselves up against a bunch of play-acting blackguards, not footballers.
    There was something seriously wrong with the team for it to take 24 mins for Kerry to score. regardless of the type of play of the other team.
    You try scoring when even the other team's captain is merrily engaging in professional fouling.
    They were asleep for the first half and by the time they woke up Tyrone had decided on how the game was going to be played.
    Don't mistake disbelief at the ****e that Tyrone were trying on for being asleep.
    You win some you lose some, get over it.
    Find yerselves a new manager and prepare for next year.
    Missing the point entirely. If Tyrone football is the way forward, preparations for next year will begin by selecting four low-talent players, giving them a bare minimum of football training, and a lot of boxing and kicking training, and their only jobs will be to injure the other side's players.
    That's not the game I love to watch.

I think Mr Moynihan has pointed out why Kerry lost.
    It wasnt dirty taticts by tyrone (yes maybe they helped)
    it was incorrect taticts by Kerry

www.hoganstand.com

Seamus Moynihan believes the changing dynamics of Gaelic football was central to Kerry's downfall against Tyrone.

Tyrone's awesome smothering tactics left Kerry bewildered, and quite simply they didn't know what to do.

“Football has changed. The day of staying in your position is gone. Now, everybody's behind the ball. Out around midfield is like walking down Times Square in New York, but that's the way it's gone,” he stated.

“We didn't react to it, we just don't play football like that down in Kerry. Maybe we'll have to change.

“If we could have grabbed a goal, scraped a draw, got ourselves out of today, we'd be wiser, having learned so much. Everything seems fine when you score 21 points one day, but that's not going to happen all the time. The six points we got were so hard earned.”

And I think you're missing my point :p
    I've seen Kerry play and I know what they're capable of and when they're on form they can destroy any team regardless of the tactics that they are playing.

I was at the munster final against Limerick and ye didn't wake up for the first 20 minutes of that match either, ye were lucky there that Limerick didn't take advantage of it like Tyrone did.
    When ye did wake up ye took control of the game, and won well.

And yes I know that Limerick weren't as tough as Tyrone, they lacked the confidence anyway.

A good team doesn't let themselves be dragged down to a lower level of play, they raise the level and if Kerry had been on form on sunday they would have done this.

Football has changed, definitely, for the worse and it will be a disgrace that whatever art that was in gaelic football was lost. MIght as well make the ball oval, and exchange goals for tries. Almost like rugby league without offside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

from what I've been hearing Merc, €50 for All Ireland tickets.
    ffs.
    most my Dad ever had to pay was about £30-35.

As for Kerry, after almost throwing it away again' Roscommon they should have learned to up their game.

flyz is right. A great team is able to drag themselves above dirty play and win. Kerry couldn't which was as much about Tyrone's tactics as the hard hitting.

Originally posted by Morgans
    Football has changed, definitely, for the worse and it will be a disgrace that whatever art that was in gaelic football was lost. MIght as well make the ball oval, and exchange goals for tries. Almost like rugby league without offside.
    I agree with this. Football was the game I played most at underage level and now I would much prefer to play or watch Hurling, Soccer and then football in that order. The amount of pulling and dragging and inconsistent refereeing that comes as a result is destroying the game as a spectacle.

I think a solution would be the compromise rules style tackle. That way the player doesn't barge through opponents and releases the ball pretty lively. 13-a-side might help this too.
    (How the tackle would work at underage level might be a problem)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnpaul

Well to the kerry lads - I didn't think that we touched such a sore point with you.

You are starting to sound as bad as Pat Spilane himself.

Oh No!! the world is against us - Fact is just because Kerry are Kerry, this does not mean that all teams must lie down in front of them and only hope not to be in the line of destruction.

Credit where credit is due..........

Kerry in all their golden years were fantastic and undoubtedly the best in the country. Time has moved on since and unfortunately for Kerry, they seem to keep missing the bus now.

I have no doubt that Kerry will be back again - They eat, sleep and drink too much football not to be back.
    As will other counties like Galway, Dublin and Meath. Every county eventually gets a turn at the top inevitably.

But for the moment - Ulster remains the strongest province with undoubtedly the strongest teams.

So Sparks and all the rest of the kerry lads. The postmortem is over...........................................................................................

... BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT ...

I have no doubt you will be back next year.

But for once can you not get behind another county and wish them well. It's not always about KERRY u know!!

I personally think that it has been a long hard battle for Tyrone to get where they are now: All-Ireland Finalists and League and Ulster Champs.

I mean come on - 8 years is a long long wait...............................

It's TIME to give them the credit that they deserve.......................

DON'T BE BITTER KERRY :mad: - BE MERRY :D:D

I'm completely behind donegal for the all-ireland. I didnt begrudge Meath their win two years ago, so its not a question of sour grapes. And i dont think that everyone should lie down for Kerry to win. 2 all-irelands in 17 years you know.

I always liked Tyrone. I liked their attitude towards the national league and their plan was to win every game that they play. What I dont like is they way they changed their style to beat Kerry. Beat them playing football, rather than the cynical nature that they did. Once Declan Quille poitned to make it 10 pts to 6, on the way down teh field, Kevin hughes needed attention, brian dooher needed attention, Cavlan waited about 20 sec before taking the kick,as there was another tyrone player on teh ground, no attention needed, he promptly got up and sprinted away. Ended up with an O'Neill point. Next time tyrone got the ball, Kavanagh dived and was told get up, didnt stop him from taking another 30 seconds to a minute off the clock.

As was said, it was a new form of football. Kerry were awful on the day, but to me, I'd can come out of the game with my head held somewhat high. Tyrone were deserving winners. I'd liek them to play football against Kerry.

Wimbledon can win a FA cup, but that doesnt mean that i think their style of play is decent, and i will not support any kerry team that engage in such tactics to teh extent that Tyrone did.

Originally posted by johnpaul
    But for the moment - Ulster remains the strongest province with undoubtedly the strongest teams.
    Quite a debateable statement there that is true of this years championship but really depends on your definition off 'for the moment'. If 'for the moment' extends to 2 or 3 seasons then I think it doesn't hold as much weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

that was an atrocious kerry team, tyrone can say all they want, armagh would of kicked kerrys ass, i mean fermanagh put up as much of a challenge.

worst kerry team ever, armagh played one of the better kerries

Advertisement