Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17's or 18's

Options
  • 24-08-2003 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

does anyone know if 18 inch wheels would make much difference to the steering on a golf compared to 17's?

also will it affect the comfort in the car? will bumps be felt more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Generally, if you go for a bigger rim, you have to reduce the tyre profile to maintain the same rolling radius. Lower profile means sharper steering as there is less sidewall deflection to dull the responses of the car. Also, lower profile will mean a harsher ride since there is less sidewall deflection to absorb small bumps on the road.

Also, if you are changing the wheels, make sure the hub offset (the distance between the centre of the wheel and the hub flange) on the new wheels is the same as on your old one. Otherwise you'll screw up the steering geometry big time.

Finally, fitting wider tyres will make the steering heavier as there is more rubber to be moved when you turn the wheel.

One other thing to consider is what size wheel you can fit into the arches of the car. If the wheel is too large or too wide, you'll have it scraping the arches approaching full lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Assuming you're standard size wheel on the golf is 195/65/15

A 18" tyre is going to have to be 225/40/18

Price of cheapest on eirtyres is €185

A 17" tyre is going to be 215/45/17

Price of cheapest on eirtyres is €153

All in, €128 more expensive every time you change the tyres.

You cant vary much from these sizes as a) anything wider won't fit under the arches, b) your speed and mileage will be out by a few percent.

I have 215/40/17 on my car and could never imagine going to 18", irish roads are too rough, one lump/bump of tar on the road and their buckled.(i know what the 17" are like)

Don't know if you have 17"' already but from experience they wear alot quicker. The tyres are softer compound to make up for the loss of adhesion to the road and usually only last around half the life of the normal tyres.

18's would be more likely to tramline even more than the 17's, and the ride comfort will suffer.

On a positive note, performance will be improved, you can go faster into corners because the tyre wall deforms less, and of course they look the bizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I have seen plenty of mk4 Golf's running around on 18" without a bother but DivX is right the tires will cost a whole lot more than your used to. Hell my 195/45R16 Eagle F1's cost around 160 a corner that was the cost of 4 tires on my standard wheels on my last car!!!

Advertisement