Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White House Closure

Options
  • 24-08-2003 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone think this is a bit over the top?
    THE threatened closure of a 200-year-old landmark Limerick pub is no publicity stunt, its management insists after its threat attracted massive media attention.

Glenn McLoughlin issued public notices on Tuesday stating that The White House will close its doors on January 1, 2004 if the Government presses ahead with its "Draconian” blanket smoking ban.

Within 24 hours the Pat Kenny Show and TV3 had featured him, the story along with an interior shot of the bar made the front page of The Examiner and he was flooded with Dublin, Limerick and Cork radio interviews. "It certainly has generated a lot of publicity, but we’re totally serious about this. Business is down across the industry this year, we have massive overheads here because of the age of the building - we just couldn’t carry a blow like this.”
    Full story here: http://www2.limerickpost.ie/fullnews.elive?id=48&category=news

I never liked the white house. Its without a doubt one of the smokiest pubs in Limerick (and I'm a non-smoker, obviously!). However, I think Glenn is going just a bit OTT with this 'threat'.

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Its just a big publicity stunt and it has worked for him.

I dont drink in there either but thats just because I never have. Couldnt care less if he closed or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

I never liked the white house. Its without a doubt one of the smokiest pubs in Limerick (and I'm a non-smoker, obviously!).

...muuust...resist...temptation...to...flame...wildly-about....antismoking....laws! (I'm barred from politics for a week over the whole fiasco)

anyways- I dunno, I'll believe it when it happens.
    Publicity- pure and simple.

Then again wasn't there some guy in Limerick who refused to accept Euros as currency once and refused to serve anyone with them?

Aw well, nice pint of Guiness I suppose but it's a dive imho.
    Although I don't live in Limerick no more if I heard that Dolans or Mickey Martins was gonna close I think I'd go on a rampage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Eraa, it's only a week BB (flaming == bad)

I'm sure I commented on this elsewhere but like other posters I'll believe it when it happens.

(if it happens I'll regard it as one of the inevitable casualties but I can't any businessman cutting his own throat by just closing rather then trying it out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Eraa, it's only a week BB (flaming == bad)

/me hangs his head in shame.
    I can't any businessman cutting his own throat by just closing rather then trying it out

Might just be a topical way to camoflage the fact that he just want's to sell the gaff.

Advertisement