Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9800pro problems?

• 24-08-2003 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

i bought a 9800pro and installed it in my old machine its got agp x1 and noticed very little difference in fps than my old tnt2! I m not really that worried as i have a new pc coming soon with agp x8 but can someone give me some reason y my it has made very little difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

probably because the cpu is crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

your new gfx card is being bottlenecked by a old pc the apperiture (sp) size is probally 32mb where as the raddy 9800 128mb.

hence the no performance gain on this card.

have fun with new pc though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

my old pc is a 750amd 128mb sd ram and 14.4gig hd so tbh im surprised the pc did not display the msg ALERT! ALERT! PC MELTDOWN THIS IS MINDBLOWING TECHNOLOGY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

nah it wouldn't the card just downclocks itself to meet your requirements. lucky for you you're getting a new machine or that would have being a nice waste of moneh! trust me, you'll notice the difference in your new machine compared to a tnt2!!! oh yeah! you will!!!! :)

lads tbh i wud have broke down and cried if i wasn't gettin a new pc havin to try and run hl2 one that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    lads tbh i wud have broke down and cried if i wasn't gettin a new pc havin to try and run hl2 one that

that is when you would have got the message alert brilliant game current comp can't handle this game, need new pc :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Its a hard way to have to learn about computers.

But a new computer would be a fine idea as u are really looking at state of art gaming.

I think ur card is agp x8.

maybe get

XP2500 or 2600+
    a suitable board with support up ddr400 ram ( pref 512 )
    may sure u get a ata 133 72000 rpm hard drive

Komplett is a good place to buy these

www.komplett.ie

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Untill it gets to 1.3ghz(cpu) the ti4600 actually performs better than the 9700pro (i assume this trend remained with the 9800pro)
    on a 750mhz system it really would crawl.

im gettin a new pc at the end of next week its
    3000xp
    1024mb ddr(333mhz)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I think my 1800+ is the bottleneck on my 9800 Pro.

Im seeing a big difference in Benchmark results run on a 2.4 ghz + System.

Particularly in UT2K3. Other than that, Its an absolute beast.

What CPU would you reccomend to take full advantage of the card? I was thinkin along the lines of 2600+ (Barton)

• Advertisement
Advertisement