Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cd-r

• 24-08-2003 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Hello,

a deal on CD-R (the kind that can't be re-recorded) is available at Argos now, until the 2nd. September. Buy 50 Imation CD-R for €21.99 and get another half price. That's 100 CD-R for €32.98, it works out at just 33c for each CD. They're on spindles of 50, well packaged and have a manufacturer's lifetime warranty.

The deal is on page 6 of the Argos "New Catalogue Savings" sale brochure (not the main catalogue).

This may have been posted before, as this offer started on 26th of July.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well... I don't think that's a great price to be honest. I've bought good quality Verbatim in slim cases in packs of 10 from komplett for about 55c I think it was.

I'd be wary buying cheapo CD's from any of these places in Ireland. Last time I bought some from Peates, the silver started flaking off them! You could literally rub the silver off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Imation are a good brand, I've used a mixture of them and Phillips discs for years.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

beyond 2000 in town sell spindles of 50 benq cd's for 18.99

buy in bulk and the give exelent deal's

"the agent"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Alright Stephen I'll take your word for it, I'd never heard of them before. Thought it was one of these new cheapo brands like Peats gave me. I'd still feel safer with Verbatim for the extra few bob and have the slim cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I bought some ten packs of Imation cdrs which i thought should ahve been cool cause they are a decetn brand and they were crap. lots of failed discs. beyond 2000 is a great shop. i worked there for 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I would warn anyone reading this that the disks on the market are rated at anything from 16x to 52x nowadays. Please tell us how these bargains are rated for comparisons sake.

Also note that if you try to burn a 16x disk at 48x , you will get coasters a lot of the time.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea i had the same experience with imation as bombidol, got a good few coasters, the silver started chipping off........ really annoying.

Got benq cd's from elara and not one coaster :) , and there suppose to be a cheapass brand. I Like verbatim , never give me any problems & have used around 20 DVD+R's - all perfect

Verbatim and Maxtor i have found to be the best brands around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Yea i had the same experience with imation as bombidol, got a good few coasters, the silver started chipping off........ really annoying.

Got benq cd's from elara and not one coaster :) , and there suppose to be a cheapass brand.
    I think we're talking about the CDR's ability to NOT just rot away.
    I Like verbatim , never give me any problems & have used around 20 DVD+R's - all perfect
    and it's CDRs. Not DVDRs.
    Verbatim are excellent.

I've used these Imation discs from Argos, can't complain, but they haven't been brun long enough to see any degredation.

I've got some Memorex (Surely this is the brand you mean Bombidol? :) Maxtor make hard drives) lying about that are about 2 years old. Apart from them turning yellow they seem to read fine.

Yeah Sorry, memorex i meant:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

I trade music bootlegs across a big network of people in almost every country, and i always use the Unbranded MAplins CDs...they r still perfect. The oldest Unbranded CD i cand find is from a Counting Crows gig in 1999. Unbranded is like a Memorex without the stamp on the front.

Who makes the Dunnes Stores Cerials?....Kellogs
    Who makes the Dunnes Stores Beans??...Heinz!!
    Who makes Maplins Unbranded CDRS??...Dunno, but they're grand :)

No1 has ever complained about them either...that i have traded with anyway.

they have served me well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

I got a 100 disk spindle of Memorex in Peats two weeks ago for 33 yoyo's :eek: That's 33 cent per disk for a high quality brand!

I would agree that Verbatim are the BEST but they are a little dearer; I use them for backing up my more important info/disks.

But I've rarely had problems with Memorex and I use them a LOT!

Stay away from PrimeDisc's I got some in Peats last year and the few that did burn have now started to rust :mad:
    and they're kept in a CD wallet with all my other discs none of which show any sign of degridation!

A good indicator I always find is the darkness of the blue dye and the transparency of the discs; good disks tend to have a darker dye and are barely transparent, if at all.

I bought cakes of Benq's bofore and there was something odd about them; the ones in the center of the bundle couldn't be read in any CD burner but if I left them in a jewel case for a week or two they'd burn.......very odd :rolleyes:

Anyways thats my just my little opinion but what do I know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Just to jump in on the Imation CD-Rs. I have gotten 100 from Argos (not as part of the deal) and am half way through the second spindle. Have yet to have a bad burn (I don't use Windows).

Previously Argos sold Mr. Data branded CD-Rs. In 50, I had 3 duds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I use Memorex and find them excellent - Tesco currently selling 50 spindle for 20 yo yos,

ANyhow, can I hijack this thread a bit
    Just got a NEC 1100A DVD burner from Komplett and was wondering on the greater knowledge base as regards DVD+R

Got a few verbatim and no probs, looked around a bit - komplett, bigpockets etc etc and there seems to be loads of brands ranging in price.

Recommendation on value for money - balance of cost and reliability

I will be using the DVD's on a Sony DVD player

Tks

Advertisement