Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eicom.net privacy

Options
  • 25-08-2003 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

U was just wondering if anyone knows. Does Eircom keep track of websites visited. So it can prosocute users for illegal activities. Is that allowed. I dont like the idea of big brother watching me. I don't man computer fraud or hacking. I mean since technichelly downloading copyrighted materialis Illegal, would they know about it., since they have my name adrress, phone number and IP address.

I just read an artical about how pople who download MP3s are being prosicuted now. I was kust worried in case they take the same measures with downloading ROMs and abandonware, since it's difficult to remove all traces from your harddrive.

I know it's unlilkey. I just want to know how much information Eircom.net gets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Eircom are your ISP. They know every detail of every file you download using their service. And yes, they keep records.

Some Irish ISPs read email as well.

Eircom don't prosecute anyone for anything. They are not the government. No-one else gets to prosecute.

It's kind of cute the way you describe copyright infringement as "technically illegal". Something either is illegal or it's not. It's not like that football ban that they never repealed in the UK:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

All ISPs would have detailed logs of users' activity. However they would not examine them with a fine toothcomb unless they had to ie. were asked to do so due to some action on a user's behalf.

With regards to the downloading of copyright material there have been a few high profile cases in recent months that were misreported. No government at this time has the resources to chase after individual users who download warez etc. They are much more likely to invest time and money in tracking down people who do this fulltime and profit from it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The laws say that you can't snoop on anyone but also that if one of your uses has done something illegal than you are to blame unless you can tell the cops whodoneit.

So check your T&C expecially "acceptible usage" - and unless you are using a VPN or connecting to a secure site then none of the data in either direction is encrypted anyway..

The big problem is if one of the big companies gets precedent in any US/UK/Irish court to sue an ISP for material downloaded on to the ISP's network. The thought of having to pay court costs etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well that doesn't really sound reassuring. But i suppose the chance of them arresting anyone for it is slim to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

What the RIAA did, (they are the ones prosecuting everyone) was put a worm onto kazaa's servers(for ages, got an american security company to do it) , which fed them every file downloaded by everyone.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/28842.html
    They then used this data to approach the american courts and demand action(cuz in the states the law says that you(the riaa) can 'observe' the operations of people you suspect of downloading copyrighted material, as long as you don't disrupt their operations, and if guilty you can use this information in court.
    They have since used the same ploy to gain access to the european courts, and sue us euros(pun?).

Your personal data habits are under the protection of the 'freedom of information act', which states that eircom cannot give any of it to the coppers/neighbours or the riaa unless they get a court order demanding it, as it was information collected for another purpose and it would give an unfair advantage.

The sick thing is, a pedo(rich doctor) was caught in the states, hacked because of the sub-seven trojan and got off, because he was hacked, and the information was illegally obtained.
    ffs

• Advertisement
Advertisement