Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Martial Arts forum

Options
  • 25-08-2003 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm not really sure about this, so I'm making it public, rather than pm'ing admins or mods or anyone else generally involved, so it can be argued in plain sight.

Whilst I have no desire to land anyone in trouble, I have some concerns about the moderation of the Martial Arts forums, and tbh, I'm not sure if RunFree is mature enough for it, given that what gets said in there could have serious legal implications for members/boards.ie or the well being of people reading/following the forum.

My first beef is his manner of "moderation", which isn't so much moderating as replying to another user via their post when he should be making his own posts when there is no /genuine/ requirement to moderate a post. It smacks of abuse of privileges, makes threads difficult to follow and, quite frankly, comes across as rude.

My second beef is, as mentioned above towards maturity. He mentioned the desire for allowing people find out where to get and use equipment that is illegal in this country. In fairness, this point was raised in the thread, but I think it bears worth mentioning it here, since it could indeed possibly land boards.ie in legal bother, alongside any member idiotic enough to try it and get caught/found-out. Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinions, he's a moderator and as such such expressions could be taken out of context.

It is this second point which has prompted me to make this post, rather than just pm RunFree over his posting style.

The thread in question is here . Whilst it is only a single thread and as such isn't some dire catastrophe, I think the issue needs watching lest it grow further. A proverbial "nip in the bud".

I really dislike doing this, and have never had cause to raise issue over the calibre of moderation in a forum before. I've spent the last hour or so deliberating whether or not to bring this to anyone's attention.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I think he does a good job in moderating the board tbh.. There's never much trouble on a board that you'd expect a lot of people to take the p1ss...
    I'm unsure about this but I don't think boards could be legally liable for something like RunFree telling someone where it's possible to obtain these weapons (I think you're referring to the knives in Ireland thread?)
    Btw Lemming I think something like this should be have been posted in the mod forum as it is an issue of moderatorship and has nothing to do with the users of the board, it's an issue that can and should be resolved by the admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Fair point about the mod forum Repli. I just couldn't find it :o

As for the weapons reference, it was in fact over the acquirement and use of the likes of pepper spray

My bad - sorry
    I presumed you were a mod for some reason..

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Repli
    My bad - sorry
    I presumed you were a mod for some reason..

It'd be the "IOFFL Commitee" under his name, subconsciously might have come under the term "Mod" in your head :) . Also the journal link gives the look.

I didn't notice he was a mod either until you pointed it out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Thats pretty bad, not only do we have a moderator who insists on backing up a person who knows how to get his head kicked in (spike), but he edits posts to reply to them.

Mod Charter TBH.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Giblet
    Thats pretty bad, not only do we have a moderator who insists on backing up a person who knows how to get his head kicked in (spike), but he edits posts to reply to them.

I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out... "He edits posts to reply to them" can you point out an occurrence of this..

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i knew there was a reason i stopped bothering to look at that forum anymore..... just cudnt put my finger on it

Originally posted by nesthead
    i knew there was a reason i stopped bothering to look at that forum anymore..... just cudnt put my finger on it

Ok so you're the type who just runs away from a problem when you encounter one? Why didn't you say something sooner or report it like Lemming did..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

That 'Knives in Ireland' thread is something that needs to be moderated more so than some of the other posts. I really don't think that having someone going on about his "legal" ninja star/knuckle duster is doing boards any favours, IMO anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Repli
    I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out... "He edits posts to reply to them" can you point out an occurrence of this..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1014429#post1014429

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1029009#post1029009

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I think the Mod forum is the place for this post and saying

"Fair point about the mod forum Repli. I just couldn't find it "

Is no excuse. If you have an issue you feel compelled to express maybe you should be compelled to put it in the correct place.

Having said that I agree with you regarding the thread in question.

My 2 cents.

Alan

(Lem, sorry about this post, I like Repli, assumed you were a mod.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by Alany
    I think the Mod forum is the place for this post and saying

"Fair point about the mod forum Repli. I just couldn't find it "

Is no excuse. If you have an issue you feel compelled to express maybe you should be compelled to put it in the correct place.

Lemming isn't a mod and thus does not have access to the mod board. What he did is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I should take the time to read threads properly.

Very sorry Lem.. In that case I think your totally right !

Alan.

Advertisement