Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone or Longford - are they ok??

Options
  • 25-08-2003 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Was thinking of maybe moving to the Athlone or Longford area. - just a thought at the moment...

Anyone have any opinions about which town is the nicer to live in? I suppose they're fairly quiet crime-wise (unless anyone knows different?)

Any opinions or comments about either town is very welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by MrHappyChap
    Was thinking of maybe moving to the Athlone or Longford area. - just a thought at the moment...

Anyone have any opinions about which town is the nicer to live in? I suppose they're fairly quiet crime-wise (unless anyone knows different?)

Any opinions or comments about either town is very welcome. Thanks

Athlone is at least twice the size of Longford Town and is a much busier town, especially during school/college terms . Both towns offer a fair potential for trouble at the weekends, but nothing on a Temple Bar scale.

Tell us what your after out of a place to live and I'll try to be more precise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MrHappyChap

Thanks Occidental. I suppose either town wouldn’t have any more crime than say, Galway. (which I think is quite a safe place). What do you’s think?

Is it true that Longford has a larger hospital than Athlone? I think Athlone only has a district hospital. Maybe I’m wrong about this…

I think both have quite a lot of well-known high-street shops. Even though Longford is much smaller, it seems to have just as many well-known stores.

I suppose there are more scenic areas around Athlone as it has the lough. I don’t know of any scenic areas or walks around Longford? Are there any scenic areas around Longford?

MrHappyChap

The main hospital for Longford-Westmeath is in Mullingar. There are also various general and private units in Longford Town and Athlone.

The shopping in Athlone would be a bit better than Longford. A number of new developments are also being planned for Athlone, with Marks & Spencers and Superquin being mentioned the most.

Athlone isn't as scenic as you might think, though it is getting better. The area around the Shannon weir and Athlone Castle has improved a lot in the last few years, but a lot more could still be done. Lough Ree stretches out to the north of the town but a car or a boat would be needed if you actually want to see anything. Longford has an old canal harbour which they've been tarting up of late. Apart from that, you'd again need a car for any of the lakes or villages around the area.

One thing I would point out in Athlone's favour is transport links. Bus Eireann have a main depot at Athlone and between bus and rail, there's just about nowhere you can't get to in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by Occidental

just about nowhere you can't get to in Ireland.

hmmm belfast ?

ye but id say go for athlone much better imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Mars

According to this;

www.world-gazetteer.com/c/c_ie.htm

Athlone is the biggest inland town in Ireland; I think it used to be Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I'd go for athlone if i was you also. It may have its rough spots but hell, what does'nt.
    It has a good night live, the college really helps this along. Also the biggest town in the midlands, not to far from most places and within a few years the cross ireland route will go just by it so dublin or galway will be easy access. Hospital wise it is a let down for its size, the main hospital that is close is mullingar or ballinsloe. Tullamore general is being expanded and you can expect that place to take over as the main regional hospital in inland ireland. Its only about half and hour away.

Originally posted by elexes
    hmmm belfast ?

ye but id say go for athlone much better imo

Hmmm. I wonder where those things with Ulsterbus and Belfast written on them go to.

thanks for all above info!

As Mullingar & Tullamore have been mentioned, out of curiosity how do these two towns compare to Athlone?

Are these considered nice places to live, "average" crime rates etc...

Both good towns with a good variety of facilities and good night life.

Mullingar is surrounded by lakes and the usual forests, farmland etc. Good schools and hospitals and a much better variety of restaurants than a few years ago. Transport links leave a lot to be desired (train to Dublin or Sligo, or Bus Eireann mystery trips)
    Only other downside is house prices, which have become expensive, as Mullingar is now considered within commuting distance from Dublin.

I'll leave Tullamore to the Offaly lads, as they'll be able to give you a better idea than I can.

Tullamore
    Nice area, good night life
    Charilville castle and its grounds are massive and are a very senic place.
    Has government building, brand new main street, and a new hospital is under construction.
    At the moment jobs may not be hoppin out at you but with new business parks being built and 1,500 houses under construction at the moment, there is definatly future in the place.
    It has a great selection of pubs.
    Some places can be rough at night, but not that bad in general and it's mainly on the weekends.
    Has just about every bank available in ireland in the town center.
    Not too shabby on the shopping front.
    Despite being smaller than athlone it has a few shopping centers, the a massive departments store (about 5 stories), and all the regualr high street shops. The new main street that was just built is entirly shopping.
    Has good service, as regards bus and train stations.Some of the newer buildings in the town are fairly modern looking (number 1 and the new council buildings) and the new council buildings just won a europen design award.

Houses are not that expensive yet but well on their way. In the next few years the maincross ireland routh will be build and it will be close to tullamore so you will be in comuting distance from bublin also.

Nice place all in all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

tullamore and uve got meh :)

thers a lot of pubs in tullamore that imo are better then almost all the pubs in athlone . as for the clubs . well both towns have nothing to shout about . as for crime . well we do have are lil ****ers around the town .

but its not bad in general . athlone and tullamore are basicly the same distance time wise from dublin . but athlone dose have adsl in 40% of the town compaired to tullamores 20% tho im told this is changing over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by elexes
    as for the clubs . well both towns have nothing to shout about
    Has the Harriers closed down or summit? :)

Thanks very much for all the detailed info above. Much appreciated!

I might go and check out Tullamore, as I haven't been there before. It sounds like a nice place.

Thanks again everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

Harriers is there for the kids and the perverts!!!!

Originally posted by Imposter
    Has the Harriers closed down or summit? :)

Are you Ten?
    Are you in need of a pint?
    Well then toddle on down to the harriers and we'll get you plastered and take no responsibility for the beating you get outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

as mentioned athlone isn't a bad place, the nightlife hopefully will boom a bit with the new nightclub being opened sometime this winter, the sale of "the west bar" hopefully it will get a nice redecoration and have a lot more people in it, had a great location. like every other town we have knackers, but they usually tend to form around supermacs after a teen disco. they're finally putting down new bricks on the bridge which will prevent water clogging during winter etc... I like living here the town is big enough, safe enough at nights imo etc... :)

Advertisement