Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why people associae piercings with being gay/bi?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 angry_badger

Wilburt wrote: »
    angry badger: drunk so early in the day or so late in the night? o.0

Umm started drinking at around 3ish yesterday afternoon then stopped drinking about half 2 this afternoon, so a bit of both!!! Feeling it now tho what with not havin slept yet:(

Umm as for reactions to my lip, dunno really, don't think ppl realise that it is as big as it looks, plus facial wise i have my cheeks, philtrum and 3rd eye done an to be honest its more the 3rd eye that gets ppl's attention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Do you think bull-dyke and lezzers are acceptable terms to describe lesbians?
    I Live with a gay, am best friends with a number of gays and lesbians, and not only do I refer to them as that, they refer to themselves as that, not being b!tchy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

It's not very respectful though.

no, it wouldn't be respectful if I was bein a dodgey homophobe and disliked them because they're gay/les, that's not how it is, we laugh about it, they even use those terms themselves, like, I'm a fag hag a good bit but meh, it's just terminology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Le Rack wrote: »
    I Live with a gay, am best friends with a number of gays and lesbians, and not only do I refer to them as that, they refer to themselves as that, not being b!tchy with it

so if any black people use the n word, we can call all of them that?

a sense of humour is one thing, "bull dykey" is pretty out there.....

• Advertisement

hot2def wrote: »
    so if any black people use the n word, we can call all of them that?

a sense of humour is one thing, "bull dykey" is pretty out there.....
    that's not what I'm saying, just attempting to defend that I'm not being some sort of dodge homophobe, not using the reference in a b!tchy manner at all

regardless of intent, i found it offensive. Which is fine, you are entitled to say what you like, go for it. But when other people are offended, backing it up with "they say it" and "lots of my friends are gay" is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

But in reality your kinda tame and reserved?

Somewhat conservative, yes!

And in particular in comparison to my (non-pierced) friend who appears a lot more innocent than she actually is.

*sigh*

Appearances are so deceptive...Never judge a book by its cover I guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i did a year of 'art in education' in college, and though i have to say, hated the lecturer and found his class boring, one lesson from that class has stuck with me, and that was that you shouldn't try judge somebody else's work. i remember the first day we were given a theme and had to do a collage to that effect, and then present the collages afterwards.

listening to everyone explaining different elements of their work really did highlight how something so representative in nature can be so easily misjudged, and misinterpretted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Somewhat conservative, yes!

And in particular in comparison to my (non-pierced) friend who appears a lot more innocent than she actually is.

*sigh*

Appearances are so deceptive...Never judge a book by its cover I guess ;)

Thats you off my sexy pm list then, lucky you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Thats you off my sexy pm list then, lucky you.

:(

Or maybe I should be :)... I don't know!

regardless of intent, i found it offensive. Which is fine, you are entitled to say what you like, go for it. But when other people are offended, backing it up with "they say it" and "lots of my friends are gay" is silly.
    I really don't see what's so offensive about it, firstly, bull dyke is a group within lesbianism, the more masculine girls, it's not like im going round calling them some nasty dirty dodgey name I coined myself.

There's nothing silly about saying they say it and lots of my friends are gay, it's the truth, it's not some attempt to defend my apparent offensivness, just to spread some light on the fact that they're there too, they say the same, they know me and how i use it and no im not going around behind their backs b!tchin about them for being gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

I'm just not okay with the term lezzer. It just reminds me of something you'd hear in primary school. Bull dyke or even dyke in general isn't a phrase you should be throwing about without thinking of how people are going to interpret it. Dyke is the lesbian version of faggott and doesn't really have very positive connoctations for me anyway.

xtruthx

you are entitled to your opinion.

I have been beaten up while having that word shouted at me in school. It's a negative term. The fact that in the current climate of greater acceptance of gay people some groups of young gay people (and their friends...) choose to dig up painful terms from the past and dress it up with "hey, it's cool, I'm reappropriating it!", does nothing to change my feelings.

Further, in my opinion, I think its a sign of some dodgy self-esteem, much the way that some overweight people make wildly dispariging remarks about themselves, to get the digs in before someone else does.
    just to spread some light on the fact that they're there too, they say the same, they know me and how i use it and no im not going around behind their backs b!tchin about them for being gay.

They aren't here. I'm here, and you are hurting me. I'd rather you didn't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

...much the way that some overweight people make wildly dispariging remarks about themselves, to get the digs in before someone else does...

Guilty of that one myself... and the short jokes too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

:(

Or maybe I should be :)... I don't know!

Definitely :)

On a whole this thread has the makings of a good AH thread. Personally I feel there's a big difference between intentions and how words are used. But its the internet so its easy to misinterpret things.

But its the internet so its easy to misinterpret things.

applauds

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Le Rack wrote: »
    applauds
    That can also mean be more careful about what you say because of how it could be interpreted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

personally i wouldnt use those terms, but thats just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

So that's why I've been having those thoughts since I got my web done..

Oh no!! It must be removed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭boss^is^dead

meh,my understanding of where to draw the line with terms like those mentioned above is based on origin.of course it's not PC or socially acceptable to call someone of African origin a '******',this is of course due to it's origin,in that the word was widely used as an oppressive term. Context has nothing to do with it,it's disrespectful,as are words like 'fag' and such.what has this got to do with piercings though?

Advertisement