Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 Sound for DVD/Music

Options
  • 25-08-2003 10:28am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a 5.1 sound system for my DVD player. It has a 5.1 decoder built in, so all I need are the speakers and sub. Having looked around, most seperate systems have a decoder built in anyway, so I might just get one of them (the DVD player was cheap enough, so the decoder mightn't be that great anyway). Here's the thing though - I'd like to be able to use the DVD player as the hi-fi too - it plays music CDs obviously enough, but it also plays MP3 cds which is rather good cause I have a few cds of MP3s that I've put together for special occasions. From the music POV, would I hear any major benefit from this sort of sound setup, or am I better off scrapping the idea and buying a good hi-fi instead? We do watch quite a few DVDs in the house, so it's probably a good idea to do something about their sound anyway.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

As far as the mp3s/music goes to my ears it sounds better in stereo, although most receivers would have an option for psuedo-surround anyway, though lower bit-rate mp3s may fall apart in the process...

Anyway your DVD player should be grand as a CD source, unless you've heard better then you won't realise it :)

You'll need some sort of amplifer anyway, regardless of the fact that the DVD player has a decoder.. some lower-end and computer multimedia systems would have this integrated into the sub (i.e. connect all the 5.1 outputs from the DVD to the sub,and it controls the speakers).

If you post up a room size and a budget then I might be of more help..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

If you are big into your music you should try to have a separate hifi system.

As Kali said you wont realise the difference between the dvd player and a cd player if you havent heard your music on a cd player before. Even a high end dvd player and a/v reciever combo cant compare to a decent cd player and amp for stereo playback.

As for the home cinema setup I have seen a few reciever + speaker packages around between the 300-400 euro mark. These would give you digital surround sound, 5 speakers and subwoofer. If you did want to use the dvd player for music then this setup would also work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Cool guys, cheers. It might seem that the Hi Fi is the way to go on this one - since I'm spending the money, I may as well spend it on the better of the 2 options!

Where's a good place to spend €300 - €400 on such a machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

Hi Kharm

As previously said by the other lads here, the minimum you need is 5.1 speakers and 5 channel amplifier (as you have the deoder in the DVD player), HOWEVER - it works out that it is actually much cheaper to buy an A/V receiver that includes 5.1 amplifiacation Channels + decoder + DSP (that your DVD doesn't have) + a Radio Tuner (that your DVD doesn't have either).

Basically it depends on your budget !

You can go for a PC 5.1 Speaker System for around 300-400 Euros or go for something that even your bank won't be able to pay....

If you'll give a rough number of what you had in mind (or more likely in your pocket :p ) I will be able to recommend on specific things that you can then go and have a listen.

Start with the DVD as the source for music (CDs and MP3s) it won't play the music anyway as it will be connected to the receiver digitally - thus the DVD will be the transport only and you will use the DAC in the Receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭patch

If your dvd player isn't great anyways, why not buy a new all in one system?

Xtravision of all places have a decent philips for 300, and (at least I think it is) a Sony for around 450.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

Patch69 - not to buy an "all in one system" because they suck !

Without knowing his budget we cann't recommend anything.

Any DVD player would be better than any "all in one system".
    Not to mention their little yogurt boxes they call "speakers"....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If you want something cheap but kinda cheerful check this out
    http://dvd.ign.com/articles/038/038320p1.html for watching your dvds (i got one for €99 and it's grand for dvds and games). Then you can spend 300 on a decent stereo (obviously not fantastic but better than nothing)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/products/home-entertainment/home-cinema/systems/scdt310e/scdt310e.htm

I have this in my bedroom and its great, a stereo when you want a stereo, a DVD player when you want to watch a DVD and a DVD audio player when you want surround sound music

When you stick in a CD-R/DVD-R with MP3/WMA the folders will pop up on your TV and you can browse them by name,

Listen to normal CD's in stereo, it can sound dodgy forcing stereo though 5.1

While i would never have an all-in-one system as my main sitting room system (seperates all the way!!), this really did impress me for an all-in-one, i dont know the price as it was a present from my lady but id imagine around 450-700?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Advertisement