Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Xbox cannot resolve the IOL DNS servers via ICS

• 25-08-2003 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am having problems getting Xbox Live to work using ICS through the IOL USB modem. First 2 Xbox checks pass, cables and IP, but it fails on the 3rd check (DNS). My Xbox has every network setting on automatic and my PC's ethernet card as an IP and a subnet mask, and thats it. I also have the internet connection shared out. I have no idea whats going wrong. Is anyone else using Xbox Live via ICS with the IOL USB modem? What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Can the xbox settings be set manually? Someone here should be able to give you the IP of IOL's dns server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I have the addresses for the IOL DNS servers, and I have tried using them on the Xbox with no luck. I have the IP and DNS settings set to Automatic on the Xbox (though the can be configured manually) and it should work as the USB modem is connected and I can browse successfully using the PC meaning that the DNS servers are resolved, but the Xbox can't pick up on this even with the connection shared. Its weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Which are you sharing, the IOL lan or dial-up??

And make sure the xbox lan is set to be shared in the dial-up. I have Xbox LIVE and use IOLBB. I have had no problems setting up the DNS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I have the IOL dial up shared, as per the XBL ICS setup recommendations here. Should I have the ethernet card shared instead? Surely that would have to be shared so that the Xbox can use the internet connection? I am confused... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hellfire

ns.pipex.net. 158.43.128.26
    ns.iol.ie. 194.125.2.240

bang those in

I'm assuming your using some sort of NAT ala windows humpy internet connection sharing so the xbox won't be able to get the nameservers via dhcp.

hellfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 madboy

Hi just got IOLBB and i'm having the same trouble did u ever sort out the prob?
    Do I have to go the route of the router

Darren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 madboy

its cool sorted it i told my BB connection to share and it worked
    Thanks anyway
    Darren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Spud_Gun;

If yours is still not working try downloading Sygate Home Network Manager Shareware. (BOLD no links to warez). I tried everything to get my PS2 online (sure they work similar) and installed Sygate, and it worked almost instantly, not configuring needed! :D If you try this try having all xBox settings set to "Auto" if such an option exists.

Also, on my computer (maybe MS provide drivers to sort this out for the XBox), I need to turn on the PS2, then restart my PC (It only recognises the PS2 at bootup) and then connect to the internet and play. but at the end of the day it all works.

Hope this may be of some use to you.

Advertisement