Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No support at O2 for Siemens Data

• 25-08-2003 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Re: RTG customer are not given the ISP.VODAFONE.IE APN.

Post these on the wireless forum will you,

quote:
    mgbgt wrote on 24-08-2003 09:37:
    I'm going to shoot the dealer!!!

o2 can'not give a GPRS >Laptop connection to a Siemens S55.

The only phone that they can guarantee will work is Nokia 6310i,
    data support said they would try and send me a list of other phones that will work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

did ye get the phone from them? if so they should be able to talk you through getting your laptop set up for gprs internet. if they're selling the phone for gprs internet access then they should damn well know how to set it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

hi
    This is the same as a normal connection except that the dialup no changes fromk *99# to *99***1# and the access point name to pp.internet

Rgds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mgbgt

Thanks for your reply on the boards.ie.

Do you have a laptop that is connectiong through a Siemens S55 to the o2 network?

First they said it was not possible,then they spent a few hours on the phone , and I did manage to get what looked like a connection just once but wwas unable to receive and traffice either web or email.

Ever since all I get is " Error 734- PPP networkd control protocol terminated"

I've sort of given up for the moment but if you can tell me that you are getting traffic through a Siemens S55 on GPRS to a laptop, then I will have a go again.
    Thanks
    martin

Below is some of the information provided on error 734,but what i found resolved this issue was to make sure multi link was disabled,to do this go to your dial up networking,properties,networking,under ppplink select settings than the 3rd tick box for multi link connection make sure this is unticked,if this does not work please post back os of your laptop and i can track down cause also connection method ie bluetooth,cable,ie

below for win xp

Error 691" or "Error 734" When You Attempt to Establish a Dial-Up Connection in Windows XP
    Applies To
    This article was previously published under Q310431
    SYMPTOMS
    When you attempt to establish a dial-up connection, you may receive an error message similar to one of the following:

Error 691: The computer you are dialing in to cannot establish a Dial-Up Networking connection. Check your password, and then try again.
    -or-

Error 691: Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain.
    -or-

Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated.
    As a result, you cannot establish a dial-up connection.
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if any of the following conditions are true:
    The Include Windows logon domain check box is selected in the Options tab of the dial-up connection's Properties dialog box.
    -or-

An incorrect user name or password is used.
    -or-

The dial-up connection's security option is incorrectly configured to use the Require secured password setting.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Connect To, and then click your dial-up connection.
    Click Properties, and then click the Options tab.
    Click to clear the Include Windows logon domain check box (if it is selected), and then click OK.
    Click Dial.
    If this procedure resolves the issue, and you can establish a dial-up connection; you do not need to follow the remaining steps in this article.
    If this does not resolve the issue, and you cannot establish a dial-up connection, go to step 5 to further troubleshoot this issue.
    In the Connect dialog box, verify that your user name and password are correctly typed in the User name and Password boxes, and then click Dial.
    If this procedure resolves the issue, and you can establish a dial-up connection; you do not need to follow the remaining steps in this article.
    If this does not resolve the issue, and you cannot establish a dial-up connection, go to step 6 to further troubleshoot this issue.
    Click Start, point to Connect To, and then click your dial-up connection.
    In the Connect dialog box, click Properties.
    Click the Security tab.
    Under Security options, click Allow unsecured password in the Validate my identity as follows box, and then click OK.

Rgds

Hi greg,thanks again for the interest. I've been at this for quite a while an am
    familiar with all the settings you mention. Tried today again with the following settings.

(I'm using XP, do you need to know the version? I'm connecting using a Siemens
    USB DCA-510.--- SIEMENS GPRS ModemAssistant --- Ver.5.1.1.48)

Connect using:modem GPRS on COM 4
    Modem Config:Max Speed 57600 Modem Features:

Dialing options:Include windows logon domain: UNCHECKED

Enable hardware flow controle
    Enable modem error controle
    Enable modem compression -All checked

Security:
    Validate my identity as follows
    Allow unsecured password

Type of network server I'm dialing:
    PPP. Windows 95/98/NT/2000 Internet

PPP Settings:
    Enable LCP extensions
    Enable software compression
    Nogiate Multlink for single link connections
    ALL UNCHECKED

With these settings I'm getting error 734

Like I said I did get a connection once but no DATA flow, and since then it has always been ERROR734
    RGDS
    martin
    Inotice in your first post you give the access point as "pp.internet" is this a typo as I was given "open.internet" RGDS

• Advertisement

Sorry away for the weekend

open.internet is for contract (bill paying) and pp.internet is for the speakeasy option

i will have to look futher into that error for ya :confused:

Rgds

If I get my connection working I will take my laptop with me everywhere and reply to all boards within 2 hours except for sleep time 3 A.M. to 6 A.M GMT.

Thanks for the ongoing interest.

I wonder how reliable the O2 GPRS network is. On the S55 your have a GPRS notice at the top of the screen when GPRS is available and I notice quite often that there is a vertical bar to either side of this. The Siemens handbook says this is "Registered for GPRS" which I presume to mean that I have it switched on but the network is not providing.

I have tried both in Tralee and Dingle, just one in Tralee I amy try in Tralee again tonight
    Rgds
    martin

Hi Martian,

To get rid of any doubts make sure you can connect on the handset first b4 using the handset as a modem,this will than tell you if you have a gprs attach or not ;)

Rgds

Postpay GPRS WAP Settings for the Siemens S55

Go to main menu and select Surf and Fun > Internet > profiles, highlight a profile and click Edit

Enter settings as follows:

Profile Name: o2 wap gprs
    IP address: 192.168.090.074
    Port: 9201 for non secure / 9203 for secure (this would be used for banking etc.)
    Homepage: http://www.o2.ie
    GPRS lingertime: 5 minutes
    CSD lingertime: 150 seconds
    Conn. Profile: Highlight this and press edit, then select an empty profile. Move down and highlight Edit then press select
    Enter the following settings:
    Profile name: gprs home
    Highlight GPRS settings and press edit and enter the following settings:
    Activated: Yes
    APN: wap.dol.ie
    Login name: Leave as is
    Password: Leave as is
    Press Save and Ok three times.

Turn the phone off and back on. To access the wap service, go to Surf & Fun > Internet > Homepage.

Rgds

Hey greg_f

got the shagger moving,-- exactly a months since I got the phone.
    Either they polished up their side,,or the init. string I got from them today did the trick:

Following might be the magical string

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","open.internet"

It seems no slower than my normal dial-up, pretty nifty. Saw the connection icon flashing ,went to eircom home, page and down loaded a few email headers, total KB=53, forget how much tthat is I think 2 cents on post-pay per KB. I realy was near giving up and when I started tapping in the init string I thought another waste of time, but have to eat my sceptiscism, the shagger works.
    The normal WAP settings on the phone are Vodafone, this phone has had a a few masters. Really your interest encouraged me to have a another go.
    Rgds
    martin
    P.S. We're all very excited about the arrival of broadband in Dingle in January

• Advertisement

Nice on Martian,
    Glad to hear this,if you are on contract the cost for gprs is 7.3c for every 10kb of info so it might be worth your while looking at setting up a billing option below is a list of costs.

gprs1 €7.50 per month,1 mb included and €2 per mg thereafter

gprs5 €12.50 per month,5 mb included and €2 per mg thereafter

gprs10 €20.00 per month,10 mb included and €2 per mg thereafter

gprs25 €35.00 per month,25 mb included and €2 per mg thereafter

gprs50 €50.00 per month,50 mb included and €1.50 per mg thereafter

Enjoy

:ninja:

Advertisement