Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Loosing Its Passion?

• 25-08-2003 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

After just two matches it seems to me that new guidelines being followed by the FA are taking the passion out of the premiership.

Following the FA investigation into Thiery Henry's goal celebration and the sending off of Gareth Barry and of Ferguson it seems that referees do not want people to get over excited.

These rules are obviously handed down from people who have never played the game or have never known passion. Look a gareth Barry first. He felt he should have had a line ball but it was never given so his natural reaction was to say, For Fcuk sake or Stupid ****ing Decision Linesmen or something to that effect. Does that deserve a red card.

What about Fergie. One of his players was clearly denied a goalscoring oppurtunity and the ref turned a blind eye to it. What do you expect him to do. Sit down and say. Oh darn such a pitty that the referee didn't see that. Jolly good old boy he might see it the next time. Personally as a man u fan I was delighted with his reaction. It showed passion and hunger.

Then there is the new incentive on cutting down goal celebrations. Just a joke. Football is entertainment and part an parcel of that are goal celebrations. The next rule that the FA will invoke is to banish any supporters who even dare cheer or express passion in any way. As Ally McCoist said 'after all its is a mans game.' If referee and linesmaen are going to get upset because of a few F words then they should take up tiddly winks or bowls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I dunno, I think its really inconsistency thats the problem. A few refs are going after those people for cursing and whatever, but the ref for one of teh games yesterday (red haired chap, looks like an old fat scholes, Paul Durkin I think), was actually caught on camera swearing (as the players came to protest a decision he told them to "F##k Off"..although he was smiling as he said it)

That and Gerrard, who showed as much passion for winning the ball as you can, albeit in a vicious and dangerous manner, didn't even get booked!

Then we have the whole "diving issue" Some people get booked ofr it, some people get told to get up. Its all or nothing.

The big problem with all these rule changes is that they are not enforced consistenly and then end up being forgotten about as the season progresses.

The amount of stupid and needless penalties (10 or so) and red cards in the premiership last week was just stupid.

I wish the FA would sort out refereeing standards first and worry about new rules second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

The refs are very inconsistent. There are some good ones out there who use their common sense but there are too many that stick to the letter of the law and/or get decisions completely wrong.

IMO Uriah Rennie has been the worst referee in the premiership over the last 5-6 seasons. His decision not to punish Andy OBrien for the challenge on Giggs will end up with him being punished. Referees who make huge blatant errors like that one are punished with a month or two refereeing nationwide games only. No premiership.

As for the passion being killed in the game I think things will settle down after 7 or 8 games. The FA and refs try to clamp down at the start of every season on different things but eventually common sense seems to prevail with most and things return to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Any game that has Uriah Rennie or Mike 'Manchester United' Reilly officiating is usually guaranteed to be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

add paul durkin and jeff winter to that list on disaster refs.

hugh dallas iswell although he's in the scots league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

POsted by two sheds jackson
    or Mike 'Manchester United' Reilly

And what in the Sam Hill has that got to do with whether or not the premiership is losing its passion?? I know you're NOT a United fan 2sheds, but can't you comment on any aspect of football without mentioning them??:D

Sorry for the near replication of one of your Posts . Just pointing out another fine example of your hypocracy.

Genuinely sorry to the rest for going off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

And what in the Sam Hill has that got to do with whether or not the premiership is losing its passion?? I know you're NOT a United fan 2sheds, but can't you comment on any aspect of football without mentioning them??

Now that made me laugh :D

Mike Reilly has given eight penalties to Man U versus none to their opponents in the last five of their games he has officiated, plus sent off four of their opponents versus none of their players in the same games. Therefore I call him biased :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

isnt it very ironic that alot of the talk this week is about the refs in the league who are inconsitent and clamp down on anything and everything

last week it was all about how dirty the arsenal team are and that they are moaning bitches

well maybe we should talk about the refs more cause there in lies the problem with aresnal!

jbh and henry score a goal take of their shirts and henry gets investigated!!! double standerds i think so

o brian takes down giggs should have been a straight red but gets away with it

campbell clips someone on the ankle and its a straight red

gerrard makes 3 two footed tackles and doesnt even get booked

just funny that the refs are the getting the attention all of a sudden when some bad decsions are going against utd and other teams that arsenal were living with for the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Its down to inconsitant refereeing which is a constant problem in the Prem. I agree arsenal have had a lot of decisions going aganst them but i honesly dont see an agenda against the Gunners, If they didnt make the fouls they couldnt be punished. Campbell deserved his red card (professional foul), o brien deserved one for the same reason but the ref didnt give it for some reason but i dont see how this show biased against Arsenal. In This instance the ref was either favoring newcastle of depriving Utd arsenal dont come into it.
    posted by 2 sheds jackson
    Now that made me laugh

Are You Sure as that would indicate the presence of a sense of humour.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

New season new rules ,give em another week and be back to normal.
    What has be perplexed is the amount of goals and the quality of them and lack of quality in defending them.
    Amorosos headed back pass (wtf was he thinking acute finish tho) and others.
    portsmouth just scored 4 v Bolton :eek:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Henry did overeact i bit now, he'll just get a slap on the wrist but you cant run over to the away fans end like that, he allmost got a bottle in the head aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

last season i was told to sit down and be quite by the stewards at Upton Park , after expressing my passion for a Chelsea defensive error. I've often seen fans been told to calm down (not just the pool either) , in part theres a big worry about hte hooligans returning , so anything like swearing etc is seen as an incitement to riot.
    I don't admire Fergies reaction , he's a hero (god help us all ) to a lot of kids and needs to set a better example , same for the players. Dancing with a corner flag or writing Hello Mum on your t-shirt are not in the same category however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I don't admire Fergies reaction , he's a hero (god help us all ) to a lot of kids and needs to set a better example

I disagree, If all kids follow Fergies passion and desire for success they will do alright. If they decide to kick a football across a pitch in anger then their hardly going to get arrested.

Apart from that I think he vented his anger rather well. So he shouted a bit so what. As I have already said its a mans game.

Everybosy hurls abuse at the ref. Every manager and every single player. Its part and parcel of the game. If you try to take that out of the game it will be all the lesser for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Henry did overeact i bit now

So if Henry is playing in Old Trafford this year and he scores a penalty(god forbid) into the Stretford End he should then run the full length of the pitch to celebrate. What a pile of rubbish. The ref should have spoken to Henry there and then and told him to stop holding the game up. That was his only crime.

If a fan does hit Henry on the head with a bottle it is hardly Henty's fault. So he taunted then a little. They taunted him for the entire match and he replied the best way he could by scoring a goal. Everyone at a football match is responsible for there actions. Anyone that decides its ok to throw objects at the players should be removed and banished from the ground

Advertisement