Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginner's question - connecting linux/xp machines

Options
  • 25-08-2003 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hi

Suppose I have 2 machines on a big network (1 XP Pro and 1 Linux). They are both connected into a hub which connects into the main network. They are both getting dynamic IP addresses from a separate DHCP server. What is the easiest way to enable them to share files (and ideally all ports) without compromising security? I won't have any control over the overall network so I don't think I can set up fixed IP addresses, and I don't want to have to add extra network cards. Otherwise I can do what I want with these 2 machines. I know the basics of networking but not the fine details so the questions that spring to mind are
    1) How can I allow these machines to identify each other and so let each other through their firewalls?
    2) How do I allow them to share files on each others hard drives (set up an FTP server on each? Is there a simpler way?)

Any suggestions or references would be appreciated.

Regards

s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

the program most people use is called SAMBA.
    you load it onto linux, and it enables you to access win shares.
    It probably came with your install CD's, else you can download it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Thanks for the info, it looks like it will do the job.

Advertisement