Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life / Nvidia soundstorm Sound Problems

Options
  • 25-08-2003 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

This is probably a dumb question but then if I don't ask I will never know.

I am having trouble with sound on my system. I think it's only
    happening when I play Half Life but I could swear it happened in one or more other games at one time.

Anyway, what happens is the sound would be fine for a long while and then when I load a new level or something else loads, all of a sudden the sound is slightly garbled, something like 50/50 sound and no sound every fraction of a second or something. I dunno if I made it clear but can anyone help me????

My system is:

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard [SOUND APU ONBOARD ETC.]
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    Twinmos PC3200 DDR SDRAM [512MB]
    SEAGATE SERIAL ATA-150 120GB HDD
    MSI GF4 ti4800se [cr*p I know but I will be getting a Radeon soon]
    CHEAPO DVD ROM DRIVE
    OLD HP CD WRITER
    REALLY BAD OLD FAN
    CR*PPY PSU+CASE
    ESS MODEM 56-T

Running Windows XP Pro [no SP] - don't ask.
    BIOS Not updated as relatively new motherboard [March 03].
    I am running non certified DETONATOR graphics drivers.
    Using all drivers that came with motherboard for sound, lan, firewire etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Try turning hardware acceleration down.
    Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> [Audio](Advanced) and then performance. Turn the slider down to basic.

I had a similar problem with a different game and turning hardware acceleration off fixed it for me. Downside is I have to do that everytime I want to play it.
    btw its not just the nforce soundchip that does that, I have an audigy2.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Quick response. You're good.

I also was having trouble connecting 4 speakers in total - it only seemed to play through the front ones. But I think that is specific to my hardware - any ideas???? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

If there analog speakers you need to connect the rear speakers to the line in on your mobo. Then you'll need to change the line in to an output.

Start -> Run -> SNDVOL32
    Click the advanced tab and you'll see it there. If the advanced button isnt there go to options up the top and you'll see the option to enable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there should be no problems using half-life under 4 speakers just so you know. cos i'm using 6 and i have to say surround sound really improves your game.

sorry if it's a tad outta topic

Righto Xithus - I have since got it to work but without using the line in and I don't know why it worked all of a sudden but it did. I have an extra connection for the rear speakers and I have no idea why it didn't work before. But u see the only thing is it seems to work fine in Unreal2/Half Life etc. but when I go into sound options on any of my DVD Players, PowerDVD etc. it only gives me an option for two speakers - in fact it's greyed out. Excuse my ignorance but does anyone have ideas on this???

Also I haven't really tested the DVD player with a scene with good surround sound to see if it works anyway, I just assumed when the options said two speakers that it won't use the seperate channels. Somebody please put me straight on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

have you tried getting new drivers for that soundcard? or if its built in, new mobo drivers?

Righto I will try that now. The only reason I didn't was because the mobo was very recent, but I'll have a look now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

try this site out for info if you don't get it working.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/

Its really good.

Advertisement