Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripping a dvd

• 25-08-2003 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hey guys...... I'm very new to technology........ I'm trying to obtain a copy of a simpsons episode to convert into MPEG format and store in my nokia 3650 mobile. Anybody know how I could do it? Someone told me on another board ripping a dvd.... what is that and is it legal? If so, how do you do it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Ripping DVD's is supposed to be legal if u own the original.... and are making a bakup for personal use. Go to www.doom9.org to find out all you will ever need to know about DVD ripping.

It will need to be converted to a different format in order for it to play on the 3650 once it is ripped/converted and the quality will probably be reduced a lot, will look OK on that small screen I would imagine. Anyone out there done it yet? Got any screenshots for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's as legal as ripping an mp3.

In other words, legal in the US, not legal here.

Even though boards has a strict policy against posting about illegal things, this one is always (rightly, imho) ignored as there should be a fair-use privilege in Irish law anyway.

madmoe's link is always regarded as the best site to go to. Doom9 is an excellent site.

Here's a dumb question though: how much bleedin memory does a 3650 have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

theres two programs you use dvd decrypter (to decrypt the dvd vobs and ifo files) and flask mpeg(to encode it in to divx or other formats) i could have sworn it was legal to make 1 backup copy of any software or media that you own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

both of those programs can be legally bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Originally posted by sceptre
    In other words, legal in the US, not legal here.

Don't think this is the case afaik... Due to pressure from Micr0soft and Hollywood, US government recently passed lots of insanely stupid legislation that makes reverse engineering of software of any kind illegal... any DVD ripper (using DeCSS code) is now illegal...

Utter, utter muppets... Software as we know it was built on this kind of development... This legislation makes it illegal to include a DVD player in linux, for example as DeCSS code is needed... It is also now illegal to attempt to hack your own business systems to search for security holes... :confused:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Duffman
    Don't think this is the case afaik... Due to pressure from Micr0soft and Hollywood, US government recently passed lots of insanely stupid legislation that makes reverse engineering of software of any kind illegal... any DVD ripper (using DeCSS code) is now illegal...
    Yeah, you're right - DMCA comes into play. I was referring to the pure act of ripping (dealing just with the copyright element under the 1976 copyright act & ignoring the DMCA affecting DeCSS) but you're more correct.

Oddly enough until we pass recent EU directives into law (which we we supposed to do by now but we're lazy about it), bypassing the CSS codes is legal here but doing the actual copying isn't:D

catsmokinpot - most software allows you to make one backup copy with a list of restrictions attached. Depends on whether they give you the right or not. Doesn't apply to anything else.

Thank god the EU are being a bit more sensible about this... A lot of the US proposals have been blocked..

We're actually standing up to microsoft which is sort of reassuring... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 coke

Here's a dumb question though: how much bleedin memory does a 3650 have?
    I bought a 128mb memory card for it.

sceptre said:Here's a dumb question though: how much bleedin memory does a 3650 have?

Originally posted by coke
    Ah, plenty of space then. On a PC screen I wouldn't accept less than 200 megs for 20 minutes of footage (mpeg2 @352x288 say) but you've less screen to worry about so you'll fit quite a few episodes on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

by the by, what's the name on the card they take, is it smart card? also what price was the 128?

Flask MPEG is a very useful prog for resizing and encoding ripped DVDs... supports any codecs you have installed including DivX...

The card they take? I bought a multimedia card, if thats what you mean. It was £33 on expansys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Its actually possible to put a 256MB card into the 3650 but not all brands will work. That's tons of space for storing all you could ever want!

Advertisement