Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job

• 25-08-2003 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

hi there,

I was recently offered a job in the civil service and I'm not to sure what to expect. Some people have said that I'm mad to go in as I'll be totally institutionalised, whereas others have said its a great number because its permanent and pensionable. Having spent a number of years working on contracts the job security in the service is nice despite the poor money. Can anyone give me the lowdown on what to expect in civil service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Apparently its very hard to get sacked from the civil service. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Most ppl i've dealt with in there are under skilled and general pains in the ass,just my opinion.

As stephen said i think its impossible to get sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

its hard to get sacked, but its very clickly you have the old biddies who have been there for 20 years and think they are someone and seen as your working for the government you get to do f*ck all for for most of the day.so its up to you but i personaly wouldnt make it a career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It really depends what you're doing and who you work with.

I love my job though it is one of the more unusual and interesting ones in the civil service. The people are lovely, it can be a bit stressful but no where near as bad as any job I've had before and a country mile ahead of working in financial services.

If you're any good getting transfered somewhere more interesting and/or promoted shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

It's great for further education and training they'll pay most or all of even college level fees if it's job relevant and as others have said the job security is second to none. I would go so far as to say that it's ridiculous.

If you want to be cynical about it even if you aren't too enamoured of your job spec and salary (it can be pretty poor for certain jobs) with the economy the way it is there are worse places to be while you wait for you're dream job. Plus when you've put it two years you can take a career break and go take some risks while still having a sure thing to come back to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Thanks all for the advice.

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement