Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doom 3

• 25-08-2003 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

Does anyone have any links to some decent Doom 3 pics, anything i have seen are in pitch black and you can't seen anything. apart from the ones on Amazon.com

thanks a lot.

Also i heard some people managed to download a demo, is it any good (i know a early demo can be pretty crap).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

try googlin for them. as for the demo, wait a few weeks and buy the full game. the demo was an alpha, optimised for something like one computer at id, for testing out various in-game things i assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by Spike
    try googlin for them. as for the demo, wait a few weeks and buy the full game. the demo was an alpha, optimised for something like one computer at id, for testing out various in-game things i assume.

Doom 3 won't be out until 2004.

The demo was optimised for an Ati Radeon 9700, but it works just fine on my second PC (Geforce 4 4600).

I also had the Quake 3 alpha well before the full game was released. Carmacks alphas give a very good indication of how the full game will run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is there anywhere u can get this alpha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

i highly doubt alphas give a good indication as to how the game'll run. they're made to test out the game and arent fully optimised for the different configurations of hardware yet. and doom 3's out (i read somewhere) a week before half-life 2 for the whole competition thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

doom3 has been pushed back to 2004 it was in pczones magazine and i normally believe them when they say stuff about release dates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

anyone hear any more on Xbox/PC release dates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

My god, people actually still give a **** about this game? I wouldn't be surprised if ID went back to the drawing board when they saw the source engine. They've really shot themselves in the foot with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

of course we still give a ****.
    how can you not give a **** about a game you've been waiting 10 years for:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What the hell are you on about regeneration!?

Looking forward to this anyway. Hopefully it's out soon, to coincide with my new PC.

On a (dis)similar note, what does everyone think of the new(ish) HalfLife 2 Benchmark, not looking too good for anyone who won't be doing major upgrades does it.
    2.8 with 800mhz FSB and a Radeon 9800 pro, just manages to get 60fps on medium detail!!!

10fps from the fx5600 !

I've already seen better performance from the Doom test.

They better sort it quick, no way i'm buying a even newer PC.

how can you not give a **** about a game you've been waiting 10 years for
    Doom was fun for what it was and when it was made, but the FPS genre has moved on a long way since then. Im not that excited about what doom3 has to offer. We'll see though - ID might make a deadly SP game; just looks like wolfenstein in space.
    What the hell are you on about regeneration!?
    The engine's (comparatively) poor. The range of effects that doom3 can do versus the Source engine is pretty poor (purely from a technical view - remember, doom3 is an engine demo :)). Look at the bump-mapping; doom3's is plastic-looking, even on the characters and overly-shiny - the source engine can do a lot more subtle effects. Doom3's lighting seems to be restricted to (conveniently) harsh black shadowing, source seems to be able to do soft-edged shadows (so can the Lithtech Jupiter engine).
    I think ID released the doom3 engine expecting to be the sole next-gen engine on the market, along came Source and buggered up that monopoly. It's funny how there's been very little updates on the doom3 engine since HL2 made it's first announcement (not that it ever was that frequent anyway).
    Plus, I'll need to confirm the source, but ID were planning down-scaling the engine to have a lot less of the effects that were seen in the leaked alpha (inital poly counts for characters were something like 10,000 polys, but to be dropped to around 4000 - again, ill check the source). I think they felt they over-estimated the average gamer's PC by the time it came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It will be out in 6 months I bet, and by that time the 9800pro will be about 300 euro TOPS!

I think the effects of the Doom engine are meant to be more stylised than that of halflife, more Sci fi.

If they get the story right, and implement it well, it should be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

About the demo, its about 3gigs or so, so I wouldnt reccomend downloading on a cap/slow connection

Originally posted by Giblet
    I think the effects of the Doom engine are meant to be more stylised than that of halflife, more Sci fi.

Hmmm Im sceptical ***; don't forget the bulk of ID's profits on these engines would be from the leasing of the engine to 3rd party developers. All we've seen from ID have been these plastic corridors and ultra-black shadows; it's not good promotion in the face of Source, which is also going to be leased out (a new "vampire the masquerade game I think will use it) A lot of modding was done to the Q3 engine, granted but why do that when you get a superior engine with less dev. time for you ?
    Originally posted by Giblet
    If they get the story right, and implement it well, it should be great.
    Demon portal opened. Everyone happily turned into things you can shoot. Shooting occurs. Uhhhh ... let's just say Im not persuaded by the source material :) I can't see it giving DeusEx sleepness nights (speaking of which, DeusEx2- another good looking game)
    I Was bouncing around with excitement when they announced Doom3, and went "holy sh*t, look at that bump-mapping" but then other thigns like DeusEx2 and of course that small game from Valve, and I just think Doom3 will be badly received.

It all reminds me of this below:D
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-05-24&res=l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i guess quake IV will be the first doom 3 engine game to show us what can be done with the engine outside of what doom 3 is trying to acheive.
    just wait for the full game to be released before passing judgement ffs.
    (and that goes double for the storyline, afaik they've got some famous horror writer dude in to do it, ala half-life 1)

Im passing judgment on the technical abilities of the engine (not as a consumer); I've played the alpha, seen screenshots/watched the movies, and don't think much of what their making; it's next-gen sure, but feels more like a super-Q3 engine ...
    Which reminds me:
    http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/
    development crew who are adapting the Quake1 (and Quake3) engines to have stenciled shadows, dynamic lighting, bump-mapping and all the other next-gen engine effects.

http://www.willihammes.com/tenebrae/tb-base_07.jpg
    This is what they've done to Q3 - look familiar ? It's not out yet, but it's practically identical to the enviromental effects of doom3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hey this game kicks ass ! i've got 55-60 fps and teh shadows are there for a reason , not overly shiny at all imo, play great on my 9700 pro , in full screen it drops to 25fps , but stil;l looks great, and you can adjust the brightness and all using F2 and F3 if you change the default.cfg just remove some " // " and they work, you can also turn on wireframe so ya can see the bad guy's in the shadow's , but thats not much fun, no clip is good to get past the locked door on map " e3/e3_2 " ( its 1.06gb installed )

Great game , cant wait till its here :D

Advertisement