Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Mr. Phuck...

Options
  • 10-04-1999 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

checkmate

[This message has been edited by SeP (edited 11-04-99).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

What A twat!

Me n blade were joking at the time. TWAAAAAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

does it warrant an excuse to drop from a game ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

ehhh nooooo MP

and dev freakin on irc didnt help

and wtf HK??
    there was about 15 ppl on indigo
    it wasnt exactly a clan game, we only had 3, and appearantly 3-3 is ****....or something

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Er, excuse me Mr Sep but I wasnt "Freaking" on IRC. I was asked what effect connecting to a qizmo on indigo from qizmo on your own machine and then hopping onward to a UK server would be.

What that does is to *force* packets through the games machine and then *BACK* out again to the gateway hence creating a huge jump in traffic on the line to the games machine.

Not only this but those packets are compressed which is generally not a good idea for quake since the CPU power to decompress them usually causes more lag then the increased rate would be worth. However the Qizmo guys have created a neat way to make it worth the extra CPU power ON A CLIENT MACHINE.

Its a typical client-server problem. Whats fine for the client is intolerable for the server as a result of scale.

For you nontechies (IE:SeP) that means 5 people compressing packets and throwing them at the server to decompress at rate 5000+ in addition to the added traffic (which may not even be *destined* for that games machine) adds up to lag for people who are NOT using Qizmo to do this trick.

Qizmo should NOT be put on a server machine, particularly not one as maxed as ours seem to be. Thats my opinion of course.

*IF* people are doing this (and I was asked a hypothetical question, I dont even know if this is the case tho I believe it is) then its bad news for everyone and I would agree that the qizmo on indigo be taken down or put on another machine.

DeVore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

no one is doing that tom

MP has banned me from IRC cos i use qizmo
    i use it on localhost, i dont know where/if there is a proxy on indigo or any other servs. the only time i use an outside proxy for compression is the 4k one when i play in the UK

thanks for the waste of time...and MP grow up ffs
    "last chance" "NOW or i go cry" is getting a bit lame, from YOU of all ****in ppl, in capitals...even daaa doesnt do that

Seppy

• Advertisement
Advertisement