Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine crashing while gaming online only:(

• 25-08-2003 6:20pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My comp is crashing a lot lately but is ONLY when gaming online,i can play games offline all day or surf sites etc online all day and have no hassles.
    The problem happens when i combine the two and play online,ive tried lots of different drivers but still the same but the fact games are fine offline doesnt point to gfx drivers,or does it?
    Ive got rid of anything ive installed recently just incase it was a certain program causing it.
    Could it be some sort of net connection setting in windows?
    Crashes could happen 10 minutes into an online session on any game or 4 hours into a session.
    Id reather not reinstall windows if possible.
    If its a case i need to reinstall, whats the procedure ,ie i have a custom built machine from elara ,any machine i had in the past was a brand label machine and windows reinstall meant an auto installation of mobo software etc.which was done via backup discs.Do i need to just reinstall windows from windows disc or will i need to install mobo first?

For reference here is my spec:

D865PERL Mobo mPGA478 i865PE ATX Max 4GBAGP8x800 MHz FSB
    P4 2.8 ghz 478Pin 512 Cache 800MHz FSB
    Muschkin 512mb PC3200 DDR
    Samsung 4 in 1 combo 48x24x48x16
    80GB 7,200rpm HD
    Windows XP
    Gainward GF4 Powerpack Ultra\650-8xAGP 64mb DDR8xchipset TV out
    17"Monitor VL700/17"FST.27 70KHZ MPR2

Connect to net via no-limits 64k isdn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Has been a while since i was big into gaming (coming back around now) , but in my experience the crashes sound like their due to the software installed by the peer 2 peer that connect's you.

Are you using theZone or what way are you connecting?? Is the game getting "laggy" before crashes? What are your connections like to the other players......

Your PC spec definetly wouldnt be the problem and thats backed up by the fact that you can play offline without a crash.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Are you using theZone or what way are you connecting?? Is the game getting "laggy" before crashes? What are your connections like to the other players......

Excuse my ignorance but what is the Zone?
    I connect to no-limits with isdn and have done on old machine also without a hitch,only difference in old and new machines are spec and different version of windows ie old one had Win MEnew one XP.
    I never really lag but what i do get is a lag like freeze that i used to get on 56k ,for example in HL mods i gat this lag like sensation where everything freezes but weapon kinda goes forward backward motion same as what lag was like on 56k but a second later the crash occurs,another example in other games is i get the ingame "connection interupted" message and as above a second later i crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

does it happen when your playing games on a lan or have you tried?

Havent tried on a lan tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ahhh now i feel old :) , the zone is where multiplayer games use to be played. 3 years ago ish......Rogue spear, mechcommander, rainbow 6 etc. You should probably ignore i said anything, 56k connection was grand then - now its just not on !!

Think ill leave this to the more up2date gammers on the boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Sorry to be a poindexter but wot kinda crashes are they,does the whole pc lock up/freeze or does it shut down,crash back to windows ? .Could be some $hitty win setting - allow the computer to turn off this device to save power - for your modem?.If it comes to it, you have to install windows before any mobo drivers,stuff like that,natch.

CombatCow

It just simply restarts itself .
    To see if it was heat issue i ran a 12 hour race on a very CPU intensive racing sim with AI racing only and let game run for the 12 hours with 42 AI opponents with each relying on CPU.
    It had no problems at all and CPU temp was 40-50 degrees.
    Combatcow u could be on right track,any advice on settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

go to advanced display options,
    control panel > display > advanced. Not sure about other OS but win 2k is then in troubleshooting, turn down hardware acceleration. Try upgrading drivers for modem, graphics aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ahhh now i feel old , the zone is where multiplayer games use to be played
    MS games are still played over the Zone afaik.
    control panel > display > advanced. Not sure about other OS but win 2k is then in troubleshooting, turn down hardware acceleration.
    Unlikely to be this as the game runs fins offline. Its the same game online except that you got a TA talking to your isp as well.
    Try different modem drivers i guess.

Advertisement