Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG DVD writer on Komplett's special.. good value?

• 25-08-2003 6:37pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Located here:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.asp?ck=1&r=1&action=info&s=fp&p=37318&AvdID=1&CatID=3&GrpID=8

I see its dvd+r and dvd-r
    now I do not know much about DVD writers, but would be useful for backin up my mp3's onto gig cd's
    But I remember a topic ages ago saying that yea should try get a writer that has +r and -r incase one outdoes the other or something...
    would also like to throw a few divx I have on the comp onto dvd for the xbox to watch..
    so any ideas good yea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Well your talkin 4.7GB of space on one disc which is nice....... have an NEC DVD+R myself and its working perfectly - very few problems. The DVD-R media is a good ammount cheaper than the +R , but opinion seems to think the +R will be the one left standing at the end of the war :) .

You really are covering yourself by going for a dual drive, and it means you can take advantage of the cheaper media - whichever that might be.

Divx to DVD is something im very interested in myself as i have ALOT of em. Tried something like that with CD's and it didnt work as planned so i said bugger it. Would be very nice , as you could prob fit 3 divx's onto the player & create a little menu 2 let you decide which one to watch............ wud be nice :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I don't know about the LG DVD, but I bought the Pioneer I06 from here and have had no problems. AFAIK DVD-R media isn't readable in most non-DVD-R drives, while DVD+R is readable in most modern DVD rom drives (someone confirm that?). Worth a mention - you can get a small file off the net (URL escapes me atm, but PM me for it if you want it) which (at least using Nero) will let you write DVD+R / DVD+RW discs as if they were DVD-ROM discs (and so they will read on any DVD-ROM drive).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I was thinking the way to burn the divx would be making a "video cd" in Nero?
    As I am able to make some video cd's if the time of the video is less than 70 mins and they work in dvd players.. but not ps2/xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Well, from a brand point of view, LG generally have good products.

My VCR, Microwave and DVD-ROM/CD-RW are all LG,
    and Ive never had problems with any of them.

Im not sure if you can make a Video-CD-DVD, as It were.

eg. To have a dvd-r burned as a huge Video-CD, and play it as a VCD in a DVD player

I guess the Dvd player i have isint able to play the video-cd's , god that would be soo damm sweet.

AFAIK arent LG drives made by hitachi?? This is a good indication in my books, quite reliable drives. As a rule i keep well away from sony when it comes to anything optical, 3 discmans and 2 dvd players later i finally cop on.........:rolleyes: . Guess im just unlucky.

Never any probs with LG (have DVD & CDRW) or NEC (DVD+R).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I bought an LG 48x writer about 9/10 months ago, and I haven't had a wink of problems from it :)

3 discmans and 2 dvd players later i finally cop on

Good for you, sony tend to operate under the Idea that,

'we are one of the most expensive, so we HAVE to be one of the best!'

But of course they are Not, Go for Sanyo or Philips if you can. Goodmans tend to be. Ive never used an LG CD player/Discman,
    so I cant say what they are like.

I guess the Dvd player i have isint able to play the video-cd's , god that would be soo damm sweet.

Most DVD-players should play VCD's, even cheaper ones.

I got the Matrix Reloaded on SVCD (Near enough to DVD-quality)
    and it plays great in my DVD.

The sony DVD player just wont play em at all, wont read disc. Thankfully not all the sony stuff was mine, only bought a discman & dvd player........brother followed suit & both are jumping and skipping. Prob the most annoying thing ever.

Just use my pc for dvd's now , feck'n hate sony now :mad: .

Would go phillips , sanyo or goodmans over sony anyway.

Might invest in a cheapo dvd player and see if it works on video cd's, have tonnes of divx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Video CD (aka VCD) is NOT the same as MPEG4 (DivX 3/4/5 XviD etc)!

VCD is MPEG1 - invented by philips - mostly for interactive CD (I-CD) games console back in the early '90's. Very popular format for films in Asia - 352 * 288 resolution means that it struggles to compete with a decent VHS cassette - I thinks it's crap. Incidentally (sp?) thats where you warez monkeys get the MP3 format from too - MPEG 1 audio layer 3 (MP3).

SVCD (s for super) is a lot better - higher resolution (not fixed but in theory comparable to DVD).

MPEG 4 was used extensivly (sp?) by microsoft. The original Radium DivX3 codec was a hack (illigal but improved) of a Microsoft codec - DivX4 was still on dodgy legal ground. DivX 5 is totally rewritten and legal (but closed source) - XviD is an open source codec similar to DivX5 and arguably better.

For completeness I may aswell mention that DVD is MPEG2.

Most DVD players will NOT play MPEG4 files (notable exception are the "KISS" brand etc) - Most (all?) DVD players will play VCD - some will play SVCD.

tribble

tribble

/edited for spelling and symantecs (how do you spell sim-an-tecs?)

Video CD (aka VCD) is NOT the same as MPEG4 (DivX 3/4/5 XviD etc)!

I think we know that.
    Most (all?) DVD players will play VCD - some will play SVCD.

If a DVD player can play VCD, then surely it can play SVCD.

Ive never seen a dvd player that only plays the one.

Not all DVD players will play VCD's. Ive used a LOADS of them that wont play any VCD's.

Might invest in a cheapo dvd player and see if it works on video cd's, have tonnes of divx.

You can get a powerpoint DVD Player for 109 euro that will play MP3/VCD etc etc.

Have one myself actually very good (5.1 Output, S-Video etc)

You can use nero to convert your DiVX files to MPEG1/2 VCD's and have them burned to CD's to play in your the DVD Player.

• Advertisement

You can use nero to convert your DiVX files to MPEG1/2 VCD's and have them burned to CD's to play in your the DVD Player.

Ive used nero to do that with my divx's and no joy. My dvd player is suppose to play video cd's ........ just doesent. Nething i shud try except getting a new one?? Theres aparently one for around €70 somewhere........ Am not too arsed to be honest as im using my computer for dvd's , music & divx's - would be nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

The only possible drawback to this drive I can see is that it seems to only write all dvd discs at 2x (most of the ones ive looked at write "r" discs at 4x and "rw" discs at 2x) and it writes cdr's at 12x (this could be more of a drawback if u were using it to write cdr's a good bit).

on the plus side this is the first drive ive ever seen which will write all 3 standards. it caters for "plus +", "minus -" and "dvd-ram". not sure how much ud actually use dvd-ram tho

im quite temped by it too btw, first quality dual standard drive ive seen for under €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I got one from Aria.co.uk for £130... It is dual format and writes at
    4x speed... I thought it was great... Also got a spindle of blank dvds for next to nothing..

Orderered on line monday evening and delivered wednesday morning as well!!

Advertisement