Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamesworld Haters

Options
  • 25-08-2003 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Do any of you understand the problem of starting from scratch in this business. In a couple of years they went from 1 shop in a side street in town to have 12 stores around Ireland and now with the help of Gamestop they can only get stronger. None of you understand how much games cost. Sony dont sell their games to retailers cheaply espically to the independant stores. Game have loads of stores in Uk and Ireland and therefore buy in bulk which comes with great discounts. Gamesworld is great for s/h, the prices are always lower than their competitors. Honestly how may of you use Game's policy of 10 money back service. I bet all of you buy your games and return for a full refund a couple of days later.

Comments

Originally posted by J Murphy
    I bet all of you buy your games and return for a full refund a couple of days later.

Yes, yes I do....

what the fuck is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I couldn't care less about what prices Gamesworld pays for stock or whether or not they buy in bulk, it doesn't matter to me as a gamer. What does matter to me is the price I get charged for games and the service I get, and I find Gamesworld to be lacking in both departments. Just take a look at the prices that Gamesworld charge in their on-line shop for example.

I also totally disagree about Gamesworld second hand service being better - they offer far less for trade in's that their main competitor and the prices they charge for pre-owned software appears to me to be on average, the same.

The thing with Gamesworld is that they offer absolutely no incentive to shop there. They are just a carbon copy of the Game model and do absolutly nothing to differentiate themselves - they're main claim to fame was that they were "100% Irish" and even that's no longer true. Maybe if they were to stock retro consoles or offer an import service it would be worth shopping there but until they do I'll stick to Game and online shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Why do I get the feeling J Murphy works in Gamesworld...

Game aren't great. But their return policy is dead handy if you happen to buy a game you don't like. Also they do price-matching. So if it is cheaper elsewhere just tell them (like in Smyths, who have awful returns policies and their staff aren't great).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I mainly use play.com even though they lose a game on me. But they refunded me without a problem. They're the cheapest and probably the best.

Xtra-vision are good for prices but they only carry big releases and kids games. And have a terrible return policy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

In a couple of years they went from 1 shop in a side street in town to have 12 stores around Ireland

Gameworld started in the back of a book shop and they do not have "12 stores around Ireland" they only have 11.
    None of you understand how much games cost. Sony dont sell their games to retailers cheaply espically to the independant stores. Game have loads of stores in Uk and Ireland and therefore buy in bulk which comes with great discounts.

The cheek! For consumers Ireland isn’t really the cheapest place in the world for buying games.
    Gamesworld is great for s/h, the prices are always lower than their competitors.

I never knew that “second” and “hand” were such long words. It’s a bit much to say that second hand prices are always lower, and who pays more to original owners?
    Honestly how may of you use Game's policy of 10 money back service. I bet all of you buy your games and return for a full refund a couple of days later.

This is my problem with Game. It' an abuse of their power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

gamesworld was originally an import shop, I remember playing Mario 64 in japaneese for the first time in there. it was really cool to see a place that was giving us the games that the man didn't want us playing. These days people aren't as obsessed with buying the latest console 6 months before it comes out because a new spec PC will out preform them. Unless Gamesworld was to become an illegal mod chipping, cdr game selling shop which would have been closed in a heartbeat they were always destined to be just another game shop, serves them right for not stocking C64 games well into the 90s. Bastids! (thanks for the free game of mario though!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The thing with Gamesworld is that they offer absolutely no incentive to shop there.

You've hit the nail on the head in my opinion. I don't hate the Gamesworld, I just feel that they are doing nothing different than other game stores are doing. Hopefully this "help" from Gamestop will turn things around for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I do all my shopping online, generally I have bad experiences when shopping with Gamesworld. In my experience they don't have enough copies of the games and you usually need to order them at the desk and wait. I haven't been in there in a while, but they used to jack up the prices of games to 70 euro for the first few weeks of its release, which quite frankly is a f'cking ridiculous price. Last year I remember buying Final Fantasy X for 70 euro. If I had taken a look at play.com I could've gotten it for around 45.
    I bet all of you buy your games and return for a full refund a couple of days later.

Yeah well if one wanted to do that they'd hardly look to Gamesworld seeing as they'd give you around 90 cent for a returned game.

You clearly either work in GW or just have a big rubbery one for the shops but if you have a credit card you'll save loads online. You should try it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I reckon Gamesworld have always had good service, and I'm quite sad to see them become part of a Multinational. It will mean more competition in Ireland, which is great, but for a small operation, I think they did a great job, they always seemed to have an honest customer focus.

btw
    "
    quote:
    Honestly how may of you use Game's policy of 10 money back service. I bet all of you buy your games and return for a full refund a couple of days later.

This is my problem with Game. It' an abuse of their power."

What the hell does that mean? Game shouldn't take games back from people?

• Advertisement

Absolam,

I didn't understand that myself. My problem with GAME (besides others) is the fact they take them back. When i go in to buy a game, i don't want one which was handed back a few days ago and probably has ****ing **** all over the manual. When i get a game, i like to get one which still has the xbox seal on the side of it.

And the excuse about display cases doesn;t work with GAME. Because we all know they get more dumbie boxes then Gamesworld, smyths, HMV and xtra-vision combinded.

Originally posted by Absolam
    btw
    "
    quote:

This is my problem with Game. It' an abuse of their power."

What the hell does that mean? Game shouldn't take games back from people?

No they shouldn’t.

It doesn’t cost GAME any thing; the cost goes back to the publisher and then is passed on to the developer. Because GAME is so big they can demand this from the industry.

That’s not even to talk about how it could be seen as making piracy easier and cheaper to do.

(BTW, it’s not a consumer right to get your money refund just because you don’t like something. That only applies when the product (i.e. game) doesn’t work.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

None of you understand how much games cost. Sony dont sell their games to retailers cheaply espically to the independant stores

Listen u dumbass i worked in EB a good while ago so, dont make me laugh,game & co. charge five times the price to the customer then what they pay for them.Idiot.

Gamesworld is a fukkn craphole and i wont be one bit sad to see it go - what more could you want from a 100% irish store ,extortionate prices,the staff were rude/unhelpful,their second hand games policy was a joke ( evan worse then GAMES )

Clownboy - ask for a sealed game ( say it's a present for some1 or wotever ) the guys in game sersiouly dont give a crap bout returned games - if the customer says its broke they fuk it in a box out the back,if the customer says the dont like it they slap it back on the shelf.( the cd has to be in perfect nic tho or they wont take it ,natch ).Simple

Thats the only redeeming feature about GAME '' 10 day return '' thats why they still get so many customers.

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Gamesworld used to be great when you could rent SNES and Megadrive games for a week for a fiver. Used to pop into the back of Chapters every Sunday and get another game.

No they shouldn’t.

It doesn’t cost GAME any thing; the cost goes back to the publisher and then is passed on to the developer. Because GAME is so big they can demand this from the industry.

Absolute rubbish! No Publisher accepts returns of non faulty product; that's why the guys in game insist the product is mint when it comes back; because they're stuck with it if they can't sell it! A retailer would have to be a helluva lot bigger than Game to dictate terms to the likes of EA. And I for one like to be able to return a game I just don't like.

I’m afraid it is not absolute rubbish, I’d prefer if you could prove my statements wrong before just dismissing them.

About their (growing) size GAME own 335 stores in the UK and Ireland, 25 stores in Sweden, 90 stores in Spain and 55 stores in France*. Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s a total of 505 outlets, do you know of any lager European based games shop chain with that type of access to the different markets in Europe?

My comments about the 10 day return have been posted on this forum before by more then one person, one of whom knows a hell a lot more about the games industry then my self and is a trusted games journalist (If he is wrong about it, well… I’ll just shut up and stop trusting people).

* Source: The Game Group PLC website.

Monument, I've worked in the Game warehouse in Bracknell..stores that return ANY product that hasn't got a demonstrable fault have those games charged back against the Store, only demonstrably FAULTY product goes back to publishers, except where a publisher recalls a title. I admit, it's a couple of years since I was there, but I doubt anything has changed!

It is only with the 10 day return thing and I never said anything about the game been returned (I dont know if it is or not), I only said the cost.

Indeed;

the point is; the cost stays with Game. If they don't sell it, it costs them.

Anyways, back on topic;

I LIKE GAMESWORLD!

I like that a bunch of Irish lads set up a chain of shops that competed with the big guys, just because they were into games. Whilst I've no doubt that it's good news (price wise) for us consumers, I'm sad to see GameStop carve up a decent independant.

the point is; the cost stays with Game. If they don't sell it, it costs them.

Fine, I'm not going to force you to believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Monument, I've worked in the Game warehouse in Bracknell..stores that return ANY product that hasn't got a demonstrable fault have those games charged back against the Store, only demonstrably FAULTY product goes back to publishers, except where a publisher recalls a title. I admit, it's a couple of years since I was there, but I doubt anything has changed!

True. I've been given bollockings from managers over taking back dodgy discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I remember my regular jaunts into Gamesworld when I was a teenager. I absolutely loved the place. This was around the time of the Megadrive, Nintendo, etc. The place was aimed fairly much at the gamer, I believe. I think it lost the plot some time early in the Playstation era, when Sony must have been giving them backhanders. The shop turned into a Sony shop, and to my mind, thats what it remains. It looks to me like a true case of the money going to the heads of the owners. In fairness, Gamesworld does not really cater for PC owners, but a casual look at their PC display reveals some damn ancient games still at full price. No excuse for that, unless they just don't care. (The odd time they do get new releases below the price of Game, etc. most recently Unreal 2, I think, however, because I don't really like the shop anymore, and because I have a Game card, I just availed of Game's price matching policy)
    The biggest shame, in mo opinion, was when EB was merged with Game. I was always a fan of EB over Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I admit, it's a couple of years since I was there, but I doubt anything has changed!

What's changed is that GAME now has a 55% market share of software sales in the UK, and can force incredible deals out of the publishers. Everything they buy is on a "sale or return" basis - so in other words, any stock they're left with at the end of a certain period goes back to the publisher and GAME get refunded their purchase cost. This includes returned goods, which GAME doesn't count as being sold... and publishers have no choice but to go along with it.
    The biggest shame, in mo opinion, was when EB was merged with Game. I was always a fan of EB over Game.

Actually, EB bought GAME about five years ago - GAME was a relatively small family-owned business, EB was a huge business which licensed its name from the US Electronics Boutique chain. All that happened recently is that EB, which owned both sets of stores, decided to rename its own original stores as GAME so it could appeal against having to pay 10% of its profits to EB USA every year (it lost the court case, though).

So basically, if you were an EB "fan", then it all kinda turned out okay for your home team...

I thought they kept the GAME name because it had more of market share then EB had. People recognised GAME before EB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well if you are talking about PC games. Game when they started were cheaper then the record stores. Then EB were cheaper than Game. Since they merged the prices have gone up again and then Symths were cheaper. Now Smyths seem to be winding up their PC games section and I dunno wheres chepest now.

Gamesworld are ok, but they simply don't have the range of PC stuff that otherplaces do. At the the end of the day I'll go where ever is cheapest and I get the best service. These days the kinda stuff I want (simulation stuff) isn't stocked anywhere here. So I have to order it from the web anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Gamesworld when it was run out of the back of chapters was great, small shop, friendly staff, good price and decent stock.

Bought my PS there when it first came out

Advertisement