Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Café Setup

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

forget about ghost and the like if there is going to be games on the machine's your image could go up to about 20gigs or more depending on what you put on them what i suggest you use is on of these babes http://www.lodestar.co.uk/ practicly no matter how big the image is it will be restored with in seconds all you need is a spare pci slot and your away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

How much would it cost to setup an Internet Café in Dublin?

Dublin?
    Lots of competition there. (Good for the consumer, potentially
    bad for you)
    I assume the setup costs would be hell.
    Plus insurance.

Add the fact that we had to get the electrics done and do the network from scratch.

Reassuring aren't I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I can just imagine how much the setup costs would be. Then the amount of cafes allready would make it even harder I don't think i'd bother now.

depends on where you're setting it up tho.
    City Centre or whatever- hell.
    But there's a lot of different areas in Dublin where the costs
    would be relativly low and business would be quite high.

Where exactly were you hoping to set it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭BenH

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    Or mentioning the pandoras box of windows emulation- no wait they don't call it *emulation* in Linux, what they call it...?

As I spent frikkin hours explaining to you, emulation occurs at the CPU level - Hello Mr x86 pretend your an 8_bit ARM so I can play Elite.

Linux, well WINE, uses a fake windows file structure that allows windows programs to be installed, then uses modified DLL's to let them run.

Also try setting up one of the Xp style windowmanagers, or set up some of the machines in KDE's kiosk mode and kiss goodbye to headaches.

BTW, Hello everyone else, I'm Damien and Ed's mildly psychotic Linux guru :D

Regards,

BenH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Erm, dunno how you mean it occurs at the cpu level. Theres many different levels that it could occur at, and you just tarred two of them with the same brush.

Emulating a machine with a different cpu architecture ( like mame emulating a 68000 on an x86 or sparc ) involves translating instructions.

Wine works at a higher level, translating windows api calls into linux api calls.

Another example is FreeBSD's linux binary emulation, which just renames linux syscalls into their freebsd equivalent.

Originally posted by Gerry
    Erm, dunno how you mean it occurs at the cpu level. Theres many different levels that it could occur at, and you just tarred two of them with the same brush.

Emulating a machine with a different cpu architecture ( like mame emulating a 68000 on an x86 or sparc ) involves translating instructions.

Well my original explanation to Damien was alot more detailed. The way I was taught, and the way the Wine crew prefer to terminology, this is emulation.

Wine works at a higher level, translating windows api calls into linux api calls.

Another example is FreeBSD's linux binary emulation, which just renames linux syscalls into their freebsd equivalent.

This however is a compatability layer as it occurs at a much higher level, entirely independant of the machines hardware.

Regards,

BenH

Also try setting up one of the Xp style windowmanagers, or set up some of the machines in KDE's kiosk mode and kiss goodbye to headaches.

Would be interesting to see if we could sneak in a Linux box masquarading as windoze to see if anyone notices.

If not we can sneak in another one.

It'll also help me develop my l33t p3|\|gu1n skillz.
    Rather than have me giggling hysterically playing Tux racer-
    "go widdul penguin! GOOO!"

Originally posted by BenH
    Well my original explanation to Damien was alot more detailed. The way I was taught, and the way the Wine crew prefer to terminology, this is emulation.

This however is a compatability layer as it occurs at a much higher level, entirely independant of the machines hardware.

Regards,

BenH

Yup, wine is emulation, but it isn't hardware emulation. Its translating the windows api calls to linux api calls, and doesn't depend on the hardware either, apart from the fact that windows only runs on x86 pc's right now. You are correct about FreeBSD's binary compatibilty not being proper emulation.

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    Would be interesting to see if we could sneak in a Linux box masquarading as windoze to see if anyone notices.

If not we can sneak in another one.

YES!! go on try it! The lusers will wine at first, but whats new there.
    It'll also help me develop my l33t p3|\|gu1n skillz.
    Rather than have me giggling hysterically playing Tux racer-
    "go widdul penguin! GOOO!"

As I've asked you many times before bud _dont_ use script kiddie speak while I'm around. And how about creating a few levels for tux racer yourself?

• Advertisement

Yup, wine is emulation, but it isn't hardware emulation. Its translating the windows api calls to linux api calls, and doesn't depend on the hardware either, apart from the fact that windows only runs on x86 pc's right now. You are correct about FreeBSD's binary compatibilty not being proper emulation.

Well to be fair, there is a varient of windows nt that will run on an Alpha. We have an old, currently unused dual 400Mhz alpha currently being crippled with it. I'm trying to buy it cheap to denbianise it. That and the Alpha design is a frikkin work of ART!!

Thats why I said "right now". You are referring to nt 3.51. Afaik, they developed nt4 for alpha, but didn't release it. Dual 400mhz alpha would be nice ok, if you can get it cheap :)

Thats why I said "right now".

Oops sorry, missed that :D
    You are referring to nt 3.51. Afaik, they developed nt4 for alpha, but didn't release it. Dual 400mhz alpha would be nice ok, if you can get it cheap :)

I would also have to factor in the savings it'll give me on heating bills in the winter. Of course these would be wiped out by the cooling bills in the summer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Afaik, they developed nt4 for alpha, but didn't release it.

Hmmm - Back in '98 I was on work experience in DEC and they definitely had internal builds of NT4 for Alpha, I remember installing it...

Ok, I'm being misinterpreted all over the place here, so I'm going to be pedantic. Release, without a qualifier like "beta" or "internal" normally means a public release. NT4 for the alpha wasn't publicly released.

Advertisement