Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floppy drive problem

• 25-08-2003 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has bought a new PC and when he inserts a floppy disk into the drive it says: "The disk in the drive is not formatted. Do you want to format now?Yes/No"
    His OS is Windows XP .
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

It might be the floppy disk try an other disk. If the same message shows up again then it is the floppy drive.

If the problem is the floppy drive then try
    1) remove floppy drive and install again.
    2) install/update driver
    3) get a new drive

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

sorry i cant help as i have the same problem with my self built PC and this is a brand new sony drive, same thing happens with another floppy drive i have. It can be any disk that is put into it. Thinkin it my be a mobo issue in my case, will keep looking for ideas here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Have you tried using different cable?
    It might be something simple as faulty cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Try swapping the floppy ribbon around,reverse the connectors as such.the twist in the cable should be at the floppy drive end,and not the mobo - if thats the case.Good luck.

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Just what floppy disk driver are you on about??????:confused:

Its either 1) the drive itself, 2) the cable or 3) the controller on the motherboard. Try the cable and the drive on their own in another PC. Then try another drive and cable on their own in the first PC. by elimination you'll find out which one it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement