Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help format to fat16 on pc with no OS

Options
  • 26-08-2003 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

hey there, i need some advice, is there any prog that will run from floppy disk that will auto format a pc's hard disk to FAT16 or 32 at startup when i turn on the comp.

this comp is one that id like to install win 95 on, its currently got no OS at all and when i put in the win 95 disk it wont start the installation so im hoping if i reformat the disk might work.

neways plz get back to me if ya got any suggestions.

thanks
    luke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Get a Windows 95/98/Me startup disk.

If your HDD is larger than 2Gb, you'll have to fdisk it, and when fdisk prompts about large partitions, say no. Create your partition and exit fdisk, then restart the computer.

Then at the command prompt type

format c: /FS:fat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

www.bootdisk.com will set you up nicely with a bootdisk.. You dont say :D

format c:
    fdisk

and then install ur OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

thanks dudes, wont be in work till fri to test it out so will let all know how i get on.

luke

Advertisement