Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

grant woes.!

• 26-08-2003 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

alright my friends,

i am 29, a old ripper, im going to gmit doing a national dip in electronic and computer engineering, maybe a degree after, see what happens,

anyways,

i got a city and guilds dip in telecomms from limerick rtc ages ago, and because i got a grant for thta course i cant get a grant for this new one, as they are both diplomas, even they are entirely different, city and guilds, v national.
    i applied to the social welfare for a back to study grant thing, and if i dont get thet, i may not be able to study at all.

college eh.......

then i will be well pissed off and more than likely fek off to england.

um, thanks for listening :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I've also applied for the Back to Education Allowance. How long does it take for the Dept. of Social and Family Affairs to decide whether I'm entitled to it? My university course starts in 3 weeks...

BTW, I think it's very unfair that you can't get a grant for your course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I would guess they'll take about two weeks to let you know. Your local office may well know before you do as they get a list. Basically if you meet the 6-month requirement and your course is covered you really shouldn't have any problems. Don't forget they give 200 euros or so as a book & extras allowance as well.

x in the city, will the grant kick in if you do a degree course after or are you just screwed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

X in the city,

I'm not too sure whether you'll be entitled to a Back to Education Allowance, Perhaps the Welfare Office in GMIT Students Union may be able to help you out

Genie

There is information somewhere on the the website http://www.oasis.ie

Hope this is helpful

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I got the ok today about the Back to Education Allowance so I'm a very happy bunny!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Johnnymcg
    There is information somewhere on the the website http://www.oasis.ie
    Full details including the application form here

They'll eventually kill this scheme I suspect. Part of the rationale for cutting it this year was that the country wasn't all that short of educated citizens and the country didn't need to expend the resources any more (this was on the letter sent out to recipients AFAIK). Not much solace if you're thinking of going to college of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

i just found out a few days ago i will be getting the back to study grant,

how much is this does any one know?

cheers..

ps: anyone else going to gmit??

As far as I know it's EUR 124.80 per week plus a one off cost of education payment of EUR 250 ish. For books etc I suppose. Let me know if I'm wrong! :confused:

Advertisement