Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham not starting well in Spain

• 26-08-2003 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

If anyone watched the first leg of the Spanish Super Cup on Sunday night, Beckham was crap throughout, and was eventually hauled off after 55 minutes and replaced by Claude Makelele, who played vastly better.

He also kicked the bench in an apparent fit of pique on the way off.

He got a 1 for his performance in Marca, at least an improvement on the 0 he got from them against Valencia :)

So is it all going to go tragically wrong for Beckham in Spain, or is he just going to be exposed as the colossally over-rated player he is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

"is he just going to be exposed as the colossally over-rated player he is?"

yes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Of course he will get exposed but the British Media will never report back anything bad on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

The 25m United got for him is going to look like very good business in pure footballing terms by the end of the season.
    I can't see Beckham playing too many of the important games for Real.
    He was a marketing investment rather than a football one.
    Whisper it quietly but don't be surprised if he comes under pressure for his England place especially if either Cole/Jenas/Dyer have a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I think anyone who knew anything about football could see this coming,it's going to be a long season for beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Beckham mania is a bit like the Emperors new Clothes.
    He thinks he is great but now he is being found out.
    He is slow,completely 1 footed,cant dribble,cant beat a man,cant tackle,cant head a ball and is cowardly.
    As for the belief he is the best crosser of a ball in the world the facts need to be examined.
    Last year United had the most corners of any team in the premiership.
    Almost 300.
    Beckham took the majority of these.
    United failed to score from any corners taken last year.
    This season they have looked dangerous from corners .
    He is completely overated and wont last long in Spain.
    I give him 2 yrs at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Jees give the guy a break. Judging him on his first game in Spain is a little harsh. He may be overrated be he is definately a better than he is been given credit for here.

He was a little out of sorts last season but the form he showed prior to that will eventually return to him.
    posted by talla
    the British Media will never report back anything bad on him

The British Media are the people that lead the boo parade against Beckham after the 1998 world cup. Their nothing but hypocrits. It was the same british media that were singing his praises after he had got them to the 2002 world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Exactly Athanri. I for one, have no doubt Beckham will be an excellent player for Real and will feature heavily in the clubs drive for success this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

IMO Beckham is massively overhyped and on footballing terms he will find it difficult to keep his position in the Real Team. However he will need more time to settle and when he does he will not be as bad as he was Sunday. If real want to capitalize on his popularity in marketing terms they will have to have him on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I agree Beckham is gonna be found out he's a bad all round player
    (he can cross a good ball) but he's not madrid material not even close!! Makelele was right when he said madrid don't need a lazy player and thats exactly was beckham is!

Beckham is anything but a lazy player.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Beckham has been found out but those beckham crazy asians will still be mad for him. As for beckham getting england to the world cup is wrong. Even if hes freekick had gone wide england would still have topped the group because the germans drew with finland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Beckam is a class player.

Lazy?????? Remember when Utd were palying Real madrid, the 2nd of the champions leauge matches, they left him on the bench (stupidity or wot) then he came on in 2nd half, and scored 2 goals. Gave Utd there only hope of winning it.

I agree hes not the greatest all round player, but he is always trying (not lazy) and will always guarantee goals, if not directly, then creating them.

Most of the ppl that slag him are the Brits themselves, but we all know what der like, love der spots heros when der doing well, then deny knowing them when there losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by rander00
    Lazy?????? Remember when Utd were palying Real madrid, the 2nd of the champions leauge matches, they left him on the bench (stupidity or wot) then he came on in 2nd half, and scored 2 goals. Gave Utd there only hope of winning it.

That was more "omfg I can't believe he left me on the bench... I'll show him..." than anything else.

In any game where Utd were struggling or being played off the pitch, Beckham was usually nowhere to be found.

He gave good service because he got good service from the rest of the team, simple as that. By that reasoning he should do well at Real but meh... who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I tend to agree with PiE dat beckham was never around to help if UTD were under pressure in defence he was never back helping.The only thing dat he was good at was crossin the ball to Rudd,his free kicks which he didnt score to often for such a world class player and his corners were crap he UTD didnt score from corner the whole season.All these people who say he set up Figos goal are talkin s**t because by the time the ball got to Figo it had bounced twice Beckham had missed his target completly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Duff hasn't set the world alight at Chelsea yet, nor has Kewell at Liverpool. These things quite often take time, Beckham is over rated and also a nancy boy but I'm sure his performances will pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Beckham is over rated and also a nancy boy but I'm sure his performances will pick up.[/QUOT]

I,m Begining to worry pete. One of us must be mellowing. Thats at least twice we have agreed this week. ;)

I dont agrre that beckham is lazy and also think he was quite good at tracking back and defending.(Compared to veron he was anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I,m Begining to worry pete. One of us must be mellowing. Thats at least twice we have agreed this week. ;)
    I'd rather you didn't draw attention to that, it's embarrasing;)

Beckhams performances will improve but you must remember that he's at a club with the most demanding of standards and fans.
    They expect their players to be exceptional over the season.
    I can't see Beckham living up to the Real Madrid standards.
    Those fans will expect him to be absolutely excellent to keep home grown favourites like Guti out of the side.
    I for one believe that Guti is potentially a better player than Beckham.
    Look how Ronaldo was treated when he came and took Morientes place. It took him all season to win over the Real fans.
    You can't tell me that Beckham is in the same class as Ronaldo.

i think that this move could turn into a night mare for Beckham very easily.
    I've heard that Real looked very lethargic against Valencia and that the likes of Figo and Zidane are complaining that they did too much travelling in the pre-season tours and not enough fitness training.
    Also by all accounts Zidane is supposed to be not passing to Beckham as much as he did to Figo and that he is annoyed that Beckham is getting all the set piece duties.

Doesn't look like a happy camp!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

First of all...
    Scoring goals doesn't mean he is not lazy.
    And as for the goals in question, one was a free kick which was good but the other was a deflection off his leg from a Van Nistlerooy shot that was probably going in anyway.
    Also there was a reason why he was on the bench, Solskjaer was playing better than him and therefore he got the place.

He got a 1 for his performance in Marca, at least an improvement on the 0 he got from them against Valencia
    Before you get carried away Ronaldo and Raul got a 0 too in marca. But I agree its not a good start.

I think judging Beckham on his first two games is maybe a bit premature but they do show worrying signs for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Beckham is a good player, (note I said good not great) he's playing centre mid for Real which no matter what the English press say is not his best position.

Beckham plays O.K on the right (but he always played beter for England then he did for Utd), he can use his crossing ability and he doesn't have to cover as much. But Beckhams problem is that Raul is much better on the right then he is and has made right mid his own.

I think Real bought him for the Asian market without thinking about where he'd play. If he lasts more then a year in spain I'll be suprised. (Beckham to Chelsea anyone?)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

and ofcourse when you say Raul, you mean figo...

It`d be class if Chelsea bought him.
    While they havent settled in quite just yet, he`d supply class crosses for all the chelsea individuals to do their thing.
    Im a chelsea fan btw.

If hes so bad why did Fergie always say that if he were to sell him he`d be selling him to a non - premiership team?? Maybe cos he knows he`d be a difficult competitor for his MAn U team to have to face.

He never said that. He was going to sell to whoever was going to pay the most. He gave Veron to Chelsea for ****s sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by Seaneh
    and ofcourse when you say Raul, you mean figo...

Doh!:)

Get a cloth pull through both ears to clean brain (not encountering much, ah well)

Originally posted by rander00
    It`d be class if Chelsea bought him.
    While they havent settled in quite just yet, he`d supply class crosses for all the chelsea individuals to do their thing.
    Im a chelsea fan btw.

If hes so bad why did Fergie always say that if he were to sell him he`d be selling him to a non - premiership team?? Maybe cos he knows he`d be a difficult competitor for his MAn U team to have to face.

If Fergie was truly worried about Beckham coming back to haunt him surely he wouldn't have sold him to Real.
    After all the CL is Fergie and Utd's ultimate goal not the Premiership.
    If he did say that it would be the hassle he would get everytime Beckham had a good game in the Premiership.
    I think Fergie would be delighted if Utd played a Real team with Beckham in it.
    O'Shea would have Beckham in his pocket for the game.

He never said that. He was going to sell to whoever was going to pay the most. He gave Veron to Chelsea for ****s sake.

Errrr, he did actually say that u muffty.

And he sold Veron to get rid of him, financially. He was a disaster from the start, and hes hardly going to greatly hurt Utd wherever he plays as veron is not exactly a class player. Good in spells, but very short spells.

Beckam was also a financial decision. He sold to Real cos of the cash, and selling a good player to a champions leauge team wudnt turn out to be as disastourous as a premiership team.

He never said that you fool.

Beckham would have been sold to any club with the most money. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And im sure when they were selling giggs a few months back they would have sold him to the highest bidder aswell?
    Fact is that while fergie is a bit gung ho, he isn't stupid, and he wouldnt sell a player that could damage united chances of winnign the league to a premiership club, that's the reason he sold ince to inter...

Giggs was never going anywhere inthe first place.

Regardless of our own assumptions, Ferguson never said that.

• Advertisement

He never said Beckham was going, he never said ince was going, he never said lee sharp was going, he never said that russian tart was going, but they all went, and only for inter deciding to have faith in Recoba and not give united 20million for a 30 year old giggs would have left too.

Regardless of our own assumptions, Ferguson never said that. Thats all there is to it. Keep your assumptions to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well, he has just scored his first goal for Madrid and it was a header too, the w*nker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

I think beckham has started well in spain. oviousley it will be hard for him to fit in because of the language and bout him not being the brighest of the bunch. but he played brialliant tonight and even scored a goal to boost his confidence. I think he will do well!!

Originally posted by Bubba
    but he played brialliant tonight and even scored a goal to boost his confidence
    I don't think he played like a player worth £25 million. He made a few good crosses and free kicks but thats all he can do and thats all he'll ever do. When the Madrid fans find out what he's like they won't have it. Ronaldo is arguably the best striker in the world and he was booed for ages by the Madrid fans.

If that was Zidane playing like Beckham did tonight the Madrid fans wouldn't be happy.

I have full confidence Beckham will play very well for Real. I said it when he was ****e in his first match and ill continue to say it...cos he is a brilliant footballer with the most amazing technique and passing and crossing...he can split the defence with a perfect ball and i think he will get more goals this season. Beckham headed a peach in...great performance...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Funny all u guys are debating this and he played so well and scoed today.

shutup you fool..its a community board. of course we debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

People people people, did anybody see the third goal on his debut tonight?????????

I thought that he did very well (for a brit as some might say)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Originally posted by UbahOne
    shutup you fool..its a community board. of course we debate.

U have really got some problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if he continues on like he played last night he will fit in quite nicely. great goal too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Gangsta
    Funny all u guys are debating this and he played so well and scoed today.

Yes, amazing, considering I started the thread a couple of days ago - must get my crystal ball checked out :rolleyes:

Well I still think he won't perform well for Madrid. How do you people think he had a great performance last night? He did nothing spectacular at all. He didn't have as bad a performance as his last 2 games but thats no reason to say he played great.

Everyone knows Beckham can cross spectacular balls and shoot great free-kicks but the only thing he done last night that he hardly ever did for united was score a header. Since he played like he did at United shouldn't he have had an average perfromance? He didn't stay on the ball for longer than a few seconds and when he did in his own half Samuel Eto'o came and took the ball of him like he let him which left Mallorca with a great chance.

If you were to look at his highlights from the match you would see two great free-kicks, three or four good crosses, a tacke and a headed goal. That would look good from highlights but he did nothing that a £25 million player would do. A player worth that amount should be able to run with the ball around a few players like Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo or Damien Duff.

The English media would make it look like he had a super debut but thats because thats what they want to see. I don't think Eamon Dunphy would have much praise for his performance.:D

What the hell are are you talking about? Everyone in the world knows Beckham is not the player who can run past people...why do you expect that of him? He never was able to do it cos he has a totally unique style of play which other players dont have. He uses how he passes the ball to do what other players who can run past players do.

He played very well last night, he was in the game a lot. He looked more ocnfident and settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by eireboy
    the only thing he done last night that he hardly ever did for united was score a header

did you watch the game. what about the defensive tackles, nice passing. he did more than score a header which i'll say again was a fine goal

Exactly, beckam is class,,, in his own little way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Wonder how many people really want him to fall flat on his face. It would be kinda funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Well, there is an hour gone in the Madrid v Betis game and Beckham has been nothing short of sensational. He's scored, hit the bar and basically is playing a stormer. He's drifting inside and ZZ is able to get further forward. His passing while in the centre has been breathtaking- fair f***s to him, he's really starting to make a go of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

...and they've only gone and scored one of the best goals u will see all season!! DB with an inch perfect pass to ZZ who whipped it in from the left and Ronnie caught it on the half volley without breaking a stride- who needs defenders:D (im kidding BTW)

Advertisement